My own racism

It seems to me like most people on this forum are white and racist, with the exception of a few black folks who we’re fortunate enough to have here interrupting what would otherwise be a happy circle jerk. Many of you, I’ve noticed, erupt with anger and often racial vulgarities at the very mention of white people being racists. Others refrain from using racial slurs but nevertheless deny that they have any racism in them. And who am I to say you’re racist? I imagine it must be sickening to some of you to see a white guy like myself trying to drag you all into his “white guilt” and make you “feel bad for being white.”

So I’ll refrain from making any judgments about you lot and whatever racism you may or may not have and instead talk about myself and my own, undeniable, ugly, racism. We seldom really know what’s going on in each other’s minds, and what each other’s lives have really been like, so I’d like to offer some full disclosure to those for whom it may be of benefit. I doubt I’ll be making any friends by posting this and as the following may be hurtful to some to hear, I would like to apologize in advance. I have no excuse, and am ashamed that racism has been a part of who I am.

In dialogue about racism, we whites often fail to mention actual examples of how we engage in it and are a part of it, so here are mine:

Walking by a group of black people on the street - sometimes my body goes stiff, as if I might have to fight. Sometimes I try not to look at them, or glance their way cautiously. I remember a time in rural Japan when a woman looked at me with total terror in her eyes for no reason other than that I wasn’t Japanese. I remember how it felt like she’d punched me and how it ruined my entire day. I wonder how many dozens, hundreds(?) of times I’ve ever looked at a black person that way and screwed up their day. Or if they were already so used to it it just enforced their justified view that all white people are racists.

Wanting to prove how not racist I am - I brought up racial issues with a black man I was doing business with the other day. He didn't bring it up, I did, and even when it seemed like he would really rather not discuss it I kept talking about it mindlessly just because it was interesting to me.

When I see a black person often the first thing I think is "how can I show this person I'm not racist, or not as racist as most white people?"

When I'm around black people, at least half that time is spent thinking about the fact that they're black.

I often expect some kind of validation, recognition from black people that they think I'm a good person. As if it's their job to tell me that.

When I was in preschool, I regularly called a black classmate of mine racial slurs. I thought it was funny. She cried and I kept doing it. Eventually her parents got involved and had it out with my parents. Her family sent me a book showing people of all colors holding hands and getting along.

I continued making occasional racial slurs against Asians and Native Americans in elementary school. I was a mean, racist kid.

My school, my area of town, the families my parents knew were all predominantly white. I had no friends who were black and knew no one who was black.

I remember my first week of middle school, I was paired up in class with a hispanic kid. I quickly went to my white teacher and said, "Pair me with some one else. We're not like them." She refused, and the kid looked at me confused and said he didn't understand what was wrong.

Watching movies on racism, like Blackkklansman recently, I had to stop myself from laughing during numerous scenes that were patently racist. Some part of me wanted to laugh at black people being denigrated.

I think stuff and have even said racist things about Asians without thinking about it. Generalizations about different countries, scornful remarks about their cultures.

In general, I have thoughts - when I meet black people, when I see them on TV; before I even hear what they have to say I have thoughts like, "He looks full of himself." "He's too defensive. Race is probably always on his mind." "She doesn't look intelligent." "Why do they talk like that?" "This movie's just trying to make black people seem smarter than they are." It's ugly. It's bigoted. But it's on my mind. Even as I kick myself for it, some part of me won't condemn the racism in it.

So where am I going with this confession? I'm saying I'm a racist and I don't want to be. I'm saying, this is some really ugly, vile shit. I'm saying, how would I like to find out that some one was thinking these things about me? I'm saying I'm probably not going to make any friends by posting this, but if any white person here has any of the same racism in them, I hope you confront it. For your own sake, because I've heard a lot of you say some really racist crap that, yeah, I've thought of before, but every time you say it outloud you enforce it and you lose a little bit more of your humanity that you're going to have to try to get back some day if you genuinely want to be a good person.

I remember a time in rural Japan when a woman looked at me with total terror in her eyes for no reason other than that I wasn’t Japanese

You know, there's a chance it was something else. I'm not sure how you read peoples minds and intentions so well. perhaps there was a snake behind you? maybe she had a bad case of stomach gas, or you had a really bad tie on. But if you've really looked at that many black people with terror in your eyes.... i think you have a serious problem. I dont know why you think this is something shared by most of us.

Well she rapidly ran away from me and asked another employee to take over for her while staring at me with eyes as wide as saucers and looked terrified. Given that I'd only told her what I wanted for breakfast, my guess was that she was nervous around a white person to begin with as this area of Japan had virtually no non-Japanese, and that I may have not known some custom. Similar stuff happened a few times. Point is, I don't know if I ever looked at a black person that way, but I've felt irrationally uncomfortable on occasion and how do I know what my face conveys in those situations? It felt abnormally bad to feel like I'd terrified someone and as it never happened to me outside of Japan, I figured it amounted to something racial/cultural.

It's probably likely she had heard stories about white people, who knows what she was told. That really bothered you? Actually, I could see how that kind of a reaction would be reasonable in some cases. Did you not grow up around black people at all? were you isolated or something?
Just because you feel uncomfortable doesnt make you racist. At the core of a human being we are all animals even though we are advanced, feelings and instincts are natural, its what you do with them that counts.
I wouldnt worry about it. I seriously doubt you are racist. racists dont care, and thats the difference.

I think despite what people say on USMB on a daily basis, most of us here care about humanity. They just get frustrated with being pigeon holed for political purposes, and every person has their pride despite what race they are. Your naturally going to see reactions. Sometimes mean, sometimes humorous, sometimes misunderstood.

You don't think racism may be done out of fear? I don't blame that woman for being afraid of someone of a different race, but if a white waitress in a whitestock North Dakota town ran away in fear from a black guy who just asked for his breakfast I do think that's one expression of racism. If you're drawing the line at what ideas about his race is she labeling him with and if it's just ignorance or naivete and an 'animal response' to that naivete, well what is racism but ignorance? The difference between Japan and here is there's a history and propagation of it here.

Seriously... did that really happen in North Dakota? a waitress ran away from a paying customer?
Well, I'm sure not saying that racism doesnt exist in several forms but that particular experience. I would sure think thats extremely rare.
Maybe I'm a little biased because I've lived my whole life mostly in California and just a bit in Nevada.I might have a different experience than you. I don't know where you live. I would say that racism due to ignorance and fear carries a different significance than racism built on indoctrination or peer pressure to be racist.

when it comes to things like racism, I dont think making blanket statements about whites or black people is accurate. i think you always need a little more information because i believe racism can be also confused for other things

It seems to me like most people on this forum are white and racist, with the exception of a few black folks who we’re fortunate enough to have here interrupting what would otherwise be a happy circle jerk. Many of you, I’ve noticed, erupt with anger and often racial vulgarities at the very mention of white people being racists. Others refrain from using racial slurs but nevertheless deny that they have any racism in them. And who am I to say you’re racist? I imagine it must be sickening to some of you to see a white guy like myself trying to drag you all into his “white guilt” and make you “feel bad for being white.”

So I’ll refrain from making any judgments about you lot and whatever racism you may or may not have and instead talk about myself and my own, undeniable, ugly, racism. We seldom really know what’s going on in each other’s minds, and what each other’s lives have really been like, so I’d like to offer some full disclosure to those for whom it may be of benefit. I doubt I’ll be making any friends by posting this and as the following may be hurtful to some to hear, I would like to apologize in advance. I have no excuse, and am ashamed that racism has been a part of who I am.

In dialogue about racism, we whites often fail to mention actual examples of how we engage in it and are a part of it, so here are mine:

Walking by a group of black people on the street - sometimes my body goes stiff, as if I might have to fight. Sometimes I try not to look at them, or glance their way cautiously. I remember a time in rural Japan when a woman looked at me with total terror in her eyes for no reason other than that I wasn’t Japanese. I remember how it felt like she’d punched me and how it ruined my entire day. I wonder how many dozens, hundreds(?) of times I’ve ever looked at a black person that way and screwed up their day. Or if they were already so used to it it just enforced their justified view that all white people are racists.

Wanting to prove how not racist I am - I brought up racial issues with a black man I was doing business with the other day. He didn't bring it up, I did, and even when it seemed like he would really rather not discuss it I kept talking about it mindlessly just because it was interesting to me.

When I see a black person often the first thing I think is "how can I show this person I'm not racist, or not as racist as most white people?"

When I'm around black people, at least half that time is spent thinking about the fact that they're black.

I often expect some kind of validation, recognition from black people that they think I'm a good person. As if it's their job to tell me that.

When I was in preschool, I regularly called a black classmate of mine racial slurs. I thought it was funny. She cried and I kept doing it. Eventually her parents got involved and had it out with my parents. Her family sent me a book showing people of all colors holding hands and getting along.

I continued making occasional racial slurs against Asians and Native Americans in elementary school. I was a mean, racist kid.

My school, my area of town, the families my parents knew were all predominantly white. I had no friends who were black and knew no one who was black.

I remember my first week of middle school, I was paired up in class with a hispanic kid. I quickly went to my white teacher and said, "Pair me with some one else. We're not like them." She refused, and the kid looked at me confused and said he didn't understand what was wrong.

Watching movies on racism, like Blackkklansman recently, I had to stop myself from laughing during numerous scenes that were patently racist. Some part of me wanted to laugh at black people being denigrated.

I think stuff and have even said racist things about Asians without thinking about it. Generalizations about different countries, scornful remarks about their cultures.

In general, I have thoughts - when I meet black people, when I see them on TV; before I even hear what they have to say I have thoughts like, "He looks full of himself." "He's too defensive. Race is probably always on his mind." "She doesn't look intelligent." "Why do they talk like that?" "This movie's just trying to make black people seem smarter than they are." It's ugly. It's bigoted. But it's on my mind. Even as I kick myself for it, some part of me won't condemn the racism in it.

So where am I going with this confession? I'm saying I'm a racist and I don't want to be. I'm saying, this is some really ugly, vile shit. I'm saying, how would I like to find out that some one was thinking these things about me? I'm saying I'm probably not going to make any friends by posting this, but if any white person here has any of the same racism in them, I hope you confront it. For your own sake, because I've heard a lot of you say some really racist crap that, yeah, I've thought of before, but every time you say it outloud you enforce it and you lose a little bit more of your humanity that you're going to have to try to get back some day if you genuinely want to be a good person.
Welcome to the forum Uncle Tom.

I remember a time in rural Japan when a woman looked at me with total terror in her eyes for no reason other than that I wasn’t Japanese

You know, there's a chance it was something else. I'm not sure how you read peoples minds and intentions so well. perhaps there was a snake behind you? maybe she had a bad case of stomach gas, or you had a really bad tie on. But if you've really looked at that many black people with terror in your eyes.... i think you have a serious problem. I dont know why you think this is something shared by most of us.

Well she rapidly ran away from me and asked another employee to take over for her while staring at me with eyes as wide as saucers and looked terrified. Given that I'd only told her what I wanted for breakfast, my guess was that she was nervous around a white person to begin with as this area of Japan had virtually no non-Japanese, and that I may have not known some custom. Similar stuff happened a few times. Point is, I don't know if I ever looked at a black person that way, but I've felt irrationally uncomfortable on occasion and how do I know what my face conveys in those situations? It felt abnormally bad to feel like I'd terrified someone and as it never happened to me outside of Japan, I figured it amounted to something racial/cultural.

It's probably likely she had heard stories about white people, who knows what she was told. That really bothered you? Actually, I could see how that kind of a reaction would be reasonable in some cases. Did you not grow up around black people at all? were you isolated or something?
Just because you feel uncomfortable doesnt make you racist. At the core of a human being we are all animals even though we are advanced, feelings and instincts are natural, its what you do with them that counts.
I wouldnt worry about it. I seriously doubt you are racist. racists dont care, and thats the difference.

I think despite what people say on USMB on a daily basis, most of us here care about humanity. They just get frustrated with being pigeon holed for political purposes, and every person has their pride despite what race they are. Your naturally going to see reactions. Sometimes mean, sometimes humorous, sometimes misunderstood.

You don't think racism may be done out of fear? I don't blame that woman for being afraid of someone of a different race, but if a white waitress in a whitestock North Dakota town ran away in fear from a black guy who just asked for his breakfast I do think that's one expression of racism. If you're drawing the line at what ideas about his race is she labeling him with and if it's just ignorance or naivete and an 'animal response' to that naivete, well what is racism but ignorance? The difference between Japan and here is there's a history and propagation of it here.

Seriously... did that really happen in North Dakota? a waitress ran away from a paying customer?
Well, I'm sure not saying that racism doesnt exist in several forms but that particular experience. I would sure think thats extremely rare.
Maybe I'm a little biased because I've lived my whole life mostly in California and just a bit in Nevada.I might have a different experience than you. I don't know where you live. I would say that racism due to ignorance and fear carries a different significance than racism built on indoctrination or peer pressure to be racist.

when it comes to things like racism, I dont think making blanket statements about whites or black people is accurate. i think you always need a little more information because i believe racism can be also confused for other things
I grew up from age 6 to 12 without any Negroes around.

When I finally met them in teeming masses in middle school it was shocking how anti-White they were.

After 2 1/2 years our parents took us out of that public school and we returned to private schools for the rest of high school.

The blacks in our private school were less than 1% and fairly well to do.

So my view of Negroes is that if they have money they will likely have refinement, and if they don't then they won't.

Anecdotal but logical. Not racist.

When I finally met them in teeming masses in middle school it was shocking how anti-White they were.

After 2 1/2 years our parents took us out of that public school and we returned to private schools for the rest of high school.

So my view of Negroes is that if they have money they will likely have refinement, and if they don't then they won't.

so your saying at age 12 they were racist towards you?

That depends, have the waters made you feel any more whole now that they've been stirred up?

Hold on, before that, you were saying some good stuff about a nasty white racist. You don't hear much coming from that direction on this forum. I was hoping to hear more about what you thought of white racists. Let me have it. It'll be a break of fresh air around here.
So you are wanting all the white posters to call you out for being a racist! How interesting.

John54, stop being a fucking racist!

I hope that helps you out.
Thanks, though I wish it were that easy. It feels so much better to pretend I don't have any racism in me, but the more I look, reflect, the more I notice is there. I see it for what it is in the moment, and then it's almost like I make myself forget about it the next moment. Crazy, right? Any advice?

If your own perceived racism bothers you that much, then see a counselor. You are unlikely to get any help from USMB.

Indeed. I also question the motives and sincerity of someone who joined the board two weeks ago and then makes a major pronouncement that most of us white people here are racists.

Fortunately, we have the lovely ignore feature.

Being a liberal in a conservative forum, it seems I've caused some unfortunate miscommunication here. In my liberal, cuck/sock-minded realms we refer to that feature as the "safe space" feature. I can see I've hurt your feelings with my insensitive remarks about racism and that you need a safe zone to recuperate. I apologize for not first learning about your sensitivities.

I don't care enough about your misinformed opinion to have my feelings hurt.

You're boring and trite...and I also suspect you are unaccomplished troll.

The white people of the United States being overwhelmed by mass non white immigration and subjected to a process of genocide through miscigenation and here comes an individual completely detached from reality complaining about "dirty looks" being directed at black people.

He must be Delores Paulk's younger brother.

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

And why would blacks be anti white? Can you honestly explain how there might be reasons? Or are you another white suffering from psychosis?

Breaks over bitch.............Now go mow my lawn..........

Probably another one of these clowns...

penitents_by_lord_of_chimeras-d7zclm7.jpg

apologyc20120731pw.jpg

White-guilt-so-sorry.jpg
The parents of those kids should have their asses kicked. Hard.

Ever heard of confession? You don't have to be catholic even. Try it. Can't hurt. You admit yours sins, you might get absolution. You are a admitted rich racist...hmm, isn't that something?

John, I respect your efforts. You are an honest man. Those opposing you are dishonest people. Thank you for trying to make the effort to erase racism from your life instead of making excuses as to why you must continue being one. Bless you.

I had great parents that taught me to be color blind. I recall one incident in 1970 when we were eating hamburgers at a drive-in. I was seven at the time and two black teenagers came up to the window to order food. There was a picnic table in the middle where some high school kids were sitting that were catcalling these two and we were close enough to hear the exchange between the lady at the window and the two black kids. She said "We don't serve ******* here" and the picnic table full of white teens just erupted with laughter but the two black teens insisted on ordering. My dad got out of the car, took out his police badge and went to the window and told the lady at the window in no uncertain terms that if she didn't fill their order that he would file a report that would get them shut down and to be quick about it. The smirk the lady had was totally wiped off of her face and she complied. The teenagers at the picnic table (some of which were bigger than my dad) started to get up and move towards him, he backed them down. My dad wasn't the most physically imposing type back then, but he could fight like no one's business and he had a very intimidating scowl. He was a lefty and he had a mean punch. I was really proud of my dad and he taught me a lot about standing up for what is right even if the odds are not in your favor.....which is why I do what I do.

I had great parents that taught me to be color blind. I recall one incident in 1970 when we were eating hamburgers at a drive-in. I was seven at the time and two black teenagers came up to the window to order food. There was a picnic table in the middle where some high school kids were sitting that were catcalling these two and we were close enough to hear the exchange between the lady at the window and the two black kids. She said "We don't serve ******* here" and the picnic table full of white teens just erupted with laughter but the two black teens insisted on ordering. My dad got out of the car, took out his police badge and went to the window and told the lady at the window in no uncertain terms that if she didn't fill their order that he would file a report that would get them shut down and to be quick about it. The smirk the lady had was totally wiped off of her face and she complied. The teenagers at the picnic table (some of which were bigger than my dad) started to get up and move towards him, he backed them down. My dad wasn't the most physically imposing type back then, but he could fight like no one's business and he had a very intimidating scowl. He was a lefty and he had a mean punch. I was really proud of my dad and he taught me a lot about standing up for what is right even if the odds are not in your favor.....which is why I do what I do.

If I had a dollar for all the times I heard the great white confession, Jeffrey Bezos would work for me.

If I had a dollar for all the times I heard the great white confession, Jeffrey Bezos would work for me.

What am I "confessing"? I believe that no one is any better than anyone else. You? You seem to wallow in the shallow pool of victimhood instead of rising above it......are you not capable of doing so?

Are you Archie Bunker's Cousin?

Statically, only about seventeen percent of white Americans have little or no automatic preference to whites or blacks. Only twelve percent show a slight to strong preference of blacks to whites. This is part of the results and explained at the test. It is free and you can choose to register or not. It’s fun, but I have also seen people go off the handle which is why it comes with a warning.

It’s NATURAL to discriminate and be prejudiced; almost exclusively we all grew up with people like very much like ourselves. It is natural to trust those people more than people who are not like us. Obviously, we also pick up racist attitudes and beliefs from our parents too. We discriminate and use prejudice every day. There is nothing wrong with those feelings. It is what we learn and what is in someone’s heart, and what we DO with those feelings that matter.

If you are curious about yourself, take this test. The test is NOT based on questions, which you could answer the way you THINK you should. Actually, it is fun. You can chose from a number of different tests but they only take about 15 minutes.

This web site presents a method that demonstrates the conscious-unconscious divergences much more convincingly than has been possible with previous methods. This new method is called the Implicit Association Test or IAT for short.

WARNING!

It does carry this disclaimer:

I am aware of the possibility of encountering interpretations of my IAT test performance with which I may not agree. Knowing this, I wish to proceed.

Project Implicit
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

You are NOT required to give your email address simply got to the bottom of the page and click "I wish to proceed".

I have had people turn angry when viewing the result of their test. Perhaps you'ree one of the few with no prejudices whatsoever.

apologyc20120731pw.jpg

White-guilt-so-sorry.jpg

Maybe your parents needed theirs kicked. Hard.

Quote from one of the kids...
“Me and my Dad are at the so sorry event today. We are #SoSorry about what our race evil race has done to the blacks..we didn’t choose to be white and its something that haunts us every day”

sorry, but thats retarded . the parents need to be bitch slapped. Just what the world needs, more white kids on medication, unable to deal with themselves because they were fucked up by their parents.

No kid needs to be made to feel guilty for how they were born. They didn't put anybody in chains, so their movement is a wasted effort. If they are truely sorry though, then let their parents take the money they saved to send their kids to college and send some black kids in their place. Then at least they would actually make a difference

What am I "confessing"? I believe that no one is any better than anyone else. You? You seem to wallow in the shallow pool of victimhood instead of rising above it......are you not capable of doing so?

There is nothing victim about me or black people. We are victors when you really think about it. I have heard your story so many times in my life that it's old. So has almost every black person living. There is always that white person who wants to confess how they were taught not to see color even as they express racist views such as you just did with your claim of victimhood. Claiming to be colorblind doesn't exclude you from understanding the different experience blacks and whites have had in America.

apologyc20120731pw.jpg

White-guilt-so-sorry.jpg

Maybe your parents needed theirs kicked. Hard.

I wonder how you would feel if those were black kids in chains.

I do think that your ignorance precedes you given the fact those people are temporarily in chains so they can understand some of what slavery was like. I'm more concerned with the white racism black kids face that doesn't ever leave them during their lives than a 5 minute walk in chains. You don't see to care about that. In fact, you are part of it.

There is nothing victim about me or black people. We are victors when you really think about it. I have heard your story so many times in my life that it's old. So has almost every black person living. There is always that white person who wants to confess how they were taught not to see color even as they express racist views such as you just did with your claim of victimhood. Claiming to be colorblind doesn't exclude you from understanding the different experience blacks and whites have had in America.

What was the racist views he was expressing? yes, Blacks have had different experiences than whites. And just because views are different from yours, doesn't necessarily make them racist views. When you call someone a racist, the conversation ends right there. You pull the race card out for every thing someone says, And people wonder why people can never have honest conversations about race,... holy fuck.

John, I respect your efforts. You are an honest man. Those opposing you are dishonest people. Thank you for trying to make the effort to erase racism from your life instead of making excuses as to why you must continue being one. Bless you.

I try to be sometimes. Not most of the time. I think for all their anger and spite, which I have in me too, the people slandering you here know on some level they're being bad people. I'm sure they're honest in other areas of their lives but we choose where we're going to be honest and we reserve our hate and dishonesty for other areas. I'm sure that's why they're so mad all the time. Somewhere in them where they don't want to look, they hate themselves.

Forum List

Back