My Old 1995 Nissan Maxima Nees Struts/Shocks

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
I've got a 95 Nissan Maxima that's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Bought it new in 1995, and it was my wife's commute car for some years and then I got the car a few years back. It has 151K miles on the odometer, and has I've been able to fix various bugaboos over the years, like replacing a starter, fixing back power windows, getting new axle boots, and also a new AC compressor. My wife ran that AC nonstop for years!

Anyway, the Maxima definitely needs struts and shocks, but the cost of replacing them via a shop, would be very expensive.

I do know that you have to compress the front springs with a spring compressing tool, and of course remove the struts as per following instructions. I realize that compressing suspension springs can potentially be dangerous. I had a buddy years ago that worked in service station where a compressed front spring got loose and went through the roof of the station! I.E. you could get hurt bad or even killed by a loose spring.

Anyway, I'm 60 years old, and want to hang onto the old Maxima, as it's motor runs like silk, and doesn't drip one drip of oil, nor smoke, and passes the California smog checks with flying colors. Also the Auto Tranny still shifts very smoothly too. The Automatic climate control works just fine.

I don't want to invest in a newer car, when I have this one paid for.

It's just that the ride on uneven road surfaces is transmitting those "thumps" more and more into the cabin.

How much would I save doing the struts myself, and what tools would I need to buy or rent to do the job? I do know that I'd have to invest in a front end alignment after the struts are done.

I've got a 95 Nissan Maxima that's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Bought it new in 1995, and it was my wife's commute car for some years and then I got the car a few years back. It has 151K miles on the odometer, and has I've been able to fix various bugaboos over the years, like replacing a starter, fixing back power windows, getting new axle boots, and also a new AC compressor. My wife ran that AC nonstop for years!

Anyway, the Maxima definitely needs struts and shocks, but the cost of replacing them via a shop, would be very expensive.

I do know that you have to compress the front springs with a spring compressing tool, and of course remove the struts as per following instructions. I realize that compressing suspension springs can potentially be dangerous. I had a buddy years ago that worked in service station where a compressed front spring got loose and went through the roof of the station! I.E. you could get hurt bad or even killed by a loose spring.

Anyway, I'm 60 years old, and want to hang onto the old Maxima, as it's motor runs like silk, and doesn't drip one drip of oil, nor smoke, and passes the California smog checks with flying colors. Also the Auto Tranny still shifts very smoothly too. The Automatic climate control works just fine.

It's just that the ride on uneven road surfaces is transmitting those "thumps" more and more into the cabin.

How much would I save doing the struts myself, and what tools would I need to buy or rent to do the job? I do know that I'd have to invest in a front end alignment after the struts are done.

I changed struts on my mothers camry----rented a spring compressor for next to nothing and if you just work slowly and step by step I bet you can do it to. You don't need the muscles of a 20 year old to do it. I saved big bucks (over $200) .

I changed struts on my mothers camry----rented a spring compressor for next to nothing and if you just work slowly and step by step I bet you can do it to. You don't need the muscles of a 20 year old to do it. I saved big bucks (over $200) .

Thank you for the encouraging information.

Rod says if you decide to have it done truthfully Sears is the cheapest and best place to have it done. They do the work cheap because they pay their mechanics little of nothing.

He said, "Make sure he knows there is a left and a right strut. Don't mix them up." He said that they had a one year old maxima in the shop that took and entire day and two of them, plus a torch to heat up the stuck parts.

I would suggest having a can of WD-40 close at hand in case. It comes in handy and only cost a few bucks. Here they put chemical salt on the roads and it corrodes every thing on the underside.

i would take it to the shop and pay the money...as you state its dangerous and time consuming..there are just some things best left to the shop...shop around.,.mechanics are feeling the economic downturn just like everyone else...

if you decide to do it...get one of them manuels for your car...read up on it...see if you can find a utube video on it...hey it doesnt hurt to look...be careful..wear eye protection.

Forum List

Back