My Non-Nerd Review of Windows 10

I am so glad I use Mint and don't have to deal with this M$ sh*t
I'm a gamer, it's the only reason I still use Windows.

Yeah I get that...although Steam now runs numerous games on Linux. However I seem to remember you are not a Steam fan.
I'm not an Origin fan, Steam I have and use, the problem is I have many games (older ones) that aren't on Steam and obviously would not work with Linux, even running them on Windows in VM is problematic. I know, I've tried.

I really miss Halo CE online in it's prime, maybe 6 years ago or so. Man the great games I played then.
I'm more of a CoD and MoH fan, had the Doom series way back, have Crusaders, Heroes of Stalingrad, Men of War, etc.

What does this give me that I don't already have?
Now that is the $64k question -- and thank you for asking it!

My history with computers began with a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3. I went from there to an Epson QX-10, a gorgeous (and expensive) alien system that looked wonderful and did a few nice things easily but spoke a foreign language that nobody else understood.

Then I got a Microsoft 286. I believe there were a few more progressive stages after that (I don't remember). But I do remember falling in love with Windows 95 and being extremely sad when I had no choice but upgrade to Windows 98-SE (Second Edition), which I loved as much as 95 and held onto until my last computer died in my hands.

I now have Windows 7 (Home Pro), which I am quite content with. But it occurs to me that it doesn't do much more for me than 95 did -- because I am a basic computer dummy and I use a computer for just a few basic applications, mainly word-processing, email, note-storage and research on the web.

7 is more sophisticated than 95 and 98-SE and I frankly like it a lot. But as usual I look forward to the day Bill Gates forces me to upgrade, probably to Windows 10, with some moderate dread. Because, as you have asked, what will it do for me that 7 isn't already doing, and 98-SE did, and 95 before that did?

To say it another way, I would be perfectly content if Microsoft did nothing more for its operating system but constantly eliminate all its existing bugs, lubricate its gears, kill the viruses when they are born, and just keep polishing it whenever and wherever possible.

I'm content. I don't need anymore.

Leave me alone.

Here's two more comments

I bought a Dell with 8.1 and upgraded to 10. The Dell website is far less usable than this. In addition, I've repeatedly indicated I have 10 but it fails to recognize that. It also "surveys" my machine to tell me what upgrades I need. Problem is, some of them were NOT for 10! One has to be very careful and read the details.

When I restart the PC, it goes through the screen with the circling thing saying the percentage completed. Then, it gets to the Dell emblem in the screen and FREEZES UP. After 10 or 15 minutes, I finally get frustrated and manually turn off, wait 30 second to manually re-boot - and everything is fine. For some reason, Dell refuses to tell me why this is happening or what I can do about it.

The Windows website is also a pain in the ass when it comes to support. It's very hard to find your posts and answers/or lack of.

One thing I'm seeing is more and more programs catching up to Win10.

Back on Window 10 I just discovered something very disturbing something I told someone else wasn't true but turns out it is. The Win 10 upgrade will start loading itself automatically after bootup if you don't catch it and stop it and the only way to get rid of it is with a hard reset. One more Microsoft fuck-up, one more reason to stop using M$.

Since you had to acknowledge and accept the install prior to rebooting, not sure what the issue is?

Back on Window 10 I just discovered something very disturbing something I told someone else wasn't true but turns out it is. The Win 10 upgrade will start loading itself automatically after bootup if you don't catch it and stop it and the only way to get rid of it is with a hard reset. One more Microsoft fuck-up, one more reason to stop using M$.

Since you had to acknowledge and accept the install prior to rebooting, not sure what the issue is?
I had to acknowledge and accept the potential download and install prior to rebooting......... There's a difference....... I reserved my upgrade just in case I decided I wanted it, nothing said about it automatically downloading onto my computer when it was available.

[
I had to acknowledge and accept the potential download and install prior to rebooting......... There's a difference....... I reserved my upgrade just in case I decided I wanted it, nothing said about it automatically downloading onto my computer when it was available.

True, but prior to the actual install it gave you this dialogue box;

upload_2015-8-24_10-0-14.png

[

True, but prior to the actual install it gave you this dialogue box;

View attachment 48172
No, it didn't.

Forum List

Back