My New to Me 1967 Piper Cherokee 140

I ain't going up in that thing. :no_text11:

My cousin has one of those umm.."Piper Cubs", Thing is from the 60s..yellow?

I don't want no part of that, you ain't gettin' me up in it. :eusa_snooty:

Somehow, he takes off and lands on his daddy's land. The thing is small.

Looks like one person would be quite enough.
Flight in a small aircraft is a great feeling and experience.

Opinions are subjective.

I might go 170 mph on a bike, I ain't doing that.

He asked me: "Wanna go up"? I'm like.."Isn't it about shootin' time?

Yeah, those guys are crazy!

They're not in this little bitty airplane, though. That's a whole different animal.

When you have something you know ,vs. something that's ancient and looks hokey.

No, they're on a teensy, tiny bike! YIKES!

Bah, they're on liter bikes that are tried and true.

Piper Cub is like : "Hey, wanna take a ride with me on my aerial moped?"

True story. I passed.

Awesome man!
Thanks. I have been flying all over Tennessee and Kentucky. Picked it up in Minneapolis at end of April.

I still feel like an 8 year old at Christmas

-Geaux

I could have flown that plane when it was only about 10 years old. Took Aviation in High School. Soloed at 19. licensed by 21. Gave it up in Cali when I went to Silicon Valley. Took a couple check-rides in the SF Bay area and it was ALL WORK and no pleasure. Just not the cruising laid back experience I had in Florida.

That and my 1st wife's cousin flew into a mountain top in the LA basin one night and she really didn't want me to do it anymore. ATC kinda helped him into the mountain. Just got his instrument rating.

You should have done your flying in the Bay Area out of Buchanan Field up in Concord. Much nicer environment.

Some pals flew out of there. I agree. used to catch rides to Las Vegas conventions from there. Really neat night approach. Problem WAS -- its anywhere from 40 minutes to an HOUR or more in traffic from the SF peninsula by car. Did most of most of my rides out of San Carlos. The "cross-wind" challenge strip of these United States. Learn to love the crab..

Opinions are subjective.

They're not in this little bitty airplane, though. That's a whole different animal.

True story. I passed.

Yeah, sure...I'll pass thank you!

Awesome man!
Thanks. I have been flying all over Tennessee and Kentucky. Picked it up in Minneapolis at end of April.

I still feel like an 8 year old at Christmas

-Geaux

I could have flown that plane when it was only about 10 years old. Took Aviation in High School. Soloed at 19. licensed by 21. Gave it up in Cali when I went to Silicon Valley. Took a couple check-rides in the SF Bay area and it was ALL WORK and no pleasure. Just not the cruising laid back experience I had in Florida.

That and my 1st wife's cousin flew into a mountain top in the LA basin one night and she really didn't want me to do it anymore. ATC kinda helped him into the mountain. Just got his instrument rating.

You should have done your flying in the Bay Area out of Buchanan Field up in Concord. Much nicer environment.

Some pals flew out of there. I agree. used to catch rides to Las Vegas conventions from there. Really neat night approach. Problem WAS -- its anywhere from 40 minutes to an HOUR or more in traffic from the SF peninsula by car. Did most of most of my rides out of San Carlos. The "cross-wind" challenge strip of these United States. Learn to love the crab..

When i am going to the City I fly into Buchanan and take BART over. Saves having to have a car and it's a hell of a lot quicker.

Eh, I know, it really is a tried-and-true platform, but I'm askeered. :p

I know he'd do some loop-de-loops n stuff. I aint dumb.

I busted me a couple ernge clays and called it a day.

Opinions are subjective.

The TT is nuts. Takes a rare breed. Most moto gp guys (some of the best riders in the world) don't even consider entering that race.

The Cherokee is a solid plane. Now if it was a tail dragging Piper cub with the side door open towing a banner over Daytona Beach -- THAT'S a risky proposition.. My H.S. bud had that job at 18.. Great views of the beach from 300 feet east of the shoreline.and wave high... But we were both good swimmers.

Opinions are subjective.

The TT is nuts. Takes a rare breed. Most moto gp guys (some of the best riders in the world) don't even consider entering that race.

The FIM prohibits them from entering. Valentino has a few of them up to his private race track though.

Opinions are subjective.

True story. I passed.

Yeah, sure...I'll pass thank you!

Imagine being one of the sidecar guys. This is truly trusting your life to someone else.

How many hours left on engine and airframe?

It's been thoroughly gone through and all. They have a dedicated guy for that. He does it all.

Steam tractors, Piper Cubs, etc..

There was a guy like that out at the port when I worked there. My job was to lift him up on a forklift wherever he wanted to go. OSHA may not would have approved, but he damn sure got it done.

:21:

He engineered the 40k forklift with with counter-weights made of steel plate we already had. Basically it was just big bolts with plates added on on the back.

We pushed the limits.

Last edited:

Being in the air isn't scary at all if you think about it. You are kind of in a big motorized glider. Engine dies you just glide to the best spot to set her down. Only time it ever felt sketchy for me in a small plane is landing one time.

What is a lot of fun is flying in a float plane. The lake is your runway! 7th lake in the Adirondacks is a nice spot for this, you can bargain for a deal during the week they are more than happy to make a few bucks and fly.

How many hours left on engine and airframe?

Low time airframe with ~3650TT. Engine is at 1650 SMOH (since major overhaul). Lycoming recommends rebuild at 2000 hrs however, if the engine is taken care of, it can go well past that to 2400 or so

-Geaux

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back