My New Stance on Abortion

Life starts when the baby comes out of the mother and starts breathing. Anything before that, the baby is not breathing on its own and is on life support inside the mother.

So in other words, because terri schievo had brain waves, they should have kept her alive like a vegetable forever? Hmmm... And you all say that torture isn't ingrained into America's values?

"That would be where the issue of "viability" comes in, since a premmie can survive at a certain point in time." So when the baby is pulled out prematurely, that's when it's life begins.

"We, of the age of majority, have the opportunity to sign Advanced Directives in order not to complicate the issue." As with everything in the US, there were people going to court to try to force her to stay a vegetable forever. Like abortion, gay marriage and legal pot, Americans like to try to tell other people how to live, because you think it's "freedom" to take away other people's rights.

1.) So when the baby is pulled out prematurely, that's when it's life begins -- or ends.
2.) Not arguing for the force. Just saying, we should make an effort not to put others in the position of making such decisions, family or otherwise.

Here's an idea: Don't get an abortion.

Problem solved.

There are people on years-long waiting lists to adopt children.

Really---Why should men care what happens to his offspring, our next generation and the continuance of our culture ? Let women decide what male genes will be allowed to flourish and which ones to extinguish.

My stance is simple, it should be up to the woman who gets pregnant, right or wrong, it is their responsibility to make that choice, not mine, not anyone else's. If it's wrong I wouldn't want to be blamed for it, so I would never be in a situation to get involved, in any way. But if it's not wrong then I would have no spiritual right to interfere should they make the choice.

Generally speaking, I would agree, but having had discussions with males on this issue, the responsibility of choice can be complicated -- if they disagree on the decision.

So, assuming that a one night stand of mine would want to abort while I want to raise the child (lets assume that I have the resource for that), and assuming that the life of the mother is by no means threatened, should I in this case simply accept the abortion?
The child is in the body of the mother, but it would be my progidy too.

A guy I knew commited suicide, this had a number of reasons, but the straw breaking his back was his ex-Girlfriend aborting his child without even bothering to inform him.

Not counting medical reasons putting the life of the future mother in danger, the future father should definitly have a say in the matter too.
In most developed countries, man and women are supposed to share the responsibility of rising the child equally between them. Because of this the decisions should also be shared equally.

My stance is simple, it should be up to the woman who gets pregnant, right or wrong, it is their responsibility to make that choice, not mine, not anyone else's. If it's wrong I wouldn't want to be blamed for it, so I would never be in a situation to get involved, in any way. But if it's not wrong then I would have no spiritual right to interfere should they make the choice.

Generally speaking, I would agree, but having had discussions with males on this issue, the responsibility of choice can be complicated -- if they disagree on the decision.

So, assuming that a one night stand of mine would want to abort while I want to raise the child (lets assume that I have the resource for that), and assuming that the life of the mother is by no means threatened, should I in this case simply accept the abortion?
The child is in the body of the mother, but it would be my progidy too.

A guy I knew commited suicide, this had a number of reasons, but the straw breaking his back was his ex-Girlfriend aborting his child without even bothering to inform him.

Not counting medical reasons putting the life of the future mother in danger, the future father should definitly have a say in the matter too.
In most developed countries, man and women are supposed to share the responsibility of rising the child equally between them. Because of this the decisions should also be shared equally.

I believe I covered that in a follow-up, which went unanswered.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/76103-my-new-stance-on-abortion-3.html#post1205999

So, my new stance on abortion is this;
If brain functions exist, abortion should not be allowed, prior to that, abortion can be allowed.

Gee, MM, I didn't know you get to decide...
LOL! That's the real issue of abortion isn't it, who gets to decide.

I read the original post, and haven't read but one of the responses, so I'll give mine:

Schmuck!

Abortion, other than total rape or disgusting incest, is WRONG.

Heck, even in the above odd circumstances, you might as well have the child and put it up for adoption.

Pregnancy leads to life. So abortion is the ending of life.

It really is that simple.
Except it isn't that simple, unless you are simple minded.

It’s taken me quite a while to get here, but I have changed my stance on abortion. It’s been many an abortion debate on many message boards that caused me to think long and hard about the abortion issue. There have been many people from both sides of the debate that have inspired my introspective thought on this issue. I will however, give most of the credit to my altered opinion to one person that has challenged me, honestly debated me and truly forced me (intellectually speaking) to re-think my stance. That person would be Ms Coyote. (And some people say that you can’t influence changes in opinion over the internet).

That being said let me tell you how my opinion has changed.

I’ve decided that I am not against abortion 100%. I’m still against abortion and I think nobody should ever get an abortion, but it’s more about my view of when life actually begins.
To get there, I have to look at when life actually ends.
Within our commonly accepted view of medical life, pretty much everybody accepts cessation of brainwaves as the end of life. The cessation of brainwaves is the point that doctors legally declare a person dead. The end of brain activity is when doctors, courts and the common man have determined that life supporting equipment can be unplugged and a person can be declared dead. Even religions accept this.
Based upon that, I have decided (in my mind) that the beginning of life is the existence of brain waves. I believe that life begins when brain activity begins. Up to that point, I will accept abortion as an option. I won’t accept abortion as an option once brainwaves exist, at the point that brainwaves exist, the medical community and the courts have already spoken loudly and clearly that a person’s life is worth something.

If brain functions exist, abortion should not be allowed, prior to that, abortion can be allowed. I still think that prior to brain activity abortions should not be performed, but I am willing to accept abortion up to that point. I still disagree with abortion, and I don’t like it. I think that once brain activity has been achieved all abortion should be banned.
Though I do not agree with your stance, I think it's good that you put more thought into your opinions on abortion. Many people seem to have knee jerk reactions concerning abortion that they stick to as a matter of pride regardless of whether they can defend them, even to themselves.

It’s taken me quite a while to get here, but I have changed my stance on abortion. It’s been many an abortion debate on many message boards that caused me to think long and hard about the abortion issue. There have been many people from both sides of the debate that have inspired my introspective thought on this issue. I will however, give most of the credit to my altered opinion to one person that has challenged me, honestly debated me and truly forced me (intellectually speaking) to re-think my stance. That person would be Ms Coyote. (And some people say that you can’t influence changes in opinion over the internet).

I’ve decided that I am not against abortion 100%. I’m still against abortion and I think nobody should ever get an abortion, but it’s more about my view of when life actually begins.
Within our commonly accepted view of medical life, pretty much everybody accepts cessation of brainwaves as the end of life. The cessation of brainwaves is the point that doctors legally declare a person dead. The end of brain activity is when doctors, courts and the common man have determined that life supporting equipment can be unplugged and a person can be declared dead. Even religions accept this.
Based upon that, I have decided (in my mind) that the beginning of life is the existence of brain waves. I believe that life begins when brain activity begins. Up to that point, I will accept abortion as an option. I won’t accept abortion as an option once brainwaves exist, at the point that brainwaves exist, the medical community and the courts have already spoken loudly and clearly that a person’s life is worth something.

If brain functions exist, abortion should not be allowed, prior to that, abortion can be allowed. I still think that prior to brain activity abortions should not be performed, but I am willing to accept abortion up to that point. I still disagree with abortion, and I don’t like it. I think that once brain activity has been achieved all abortion should be banned.

Kudos for actually thinking about the issue and considering different opinions. My only comment would be that while I have no objection to your applying your own criteria to your own lifechoices, I would point out that others of us would apply different criteria to our own choices. That being the case, and all of us having such different and strong opinions on the issue, it would seem best for government to intervene only when it's own interests exceed that of the individual. As that was the governing determination of Roe v Wade, I'd say I feel comfortable in my belief that the current holding should remain unchanged.

Kudos for actually thinking about the issue and considering different opinions. My only comment would be that while I have no objection to your applying your own criteria to your own lifechoices, I would point out that others of us would apply different criteria to our own choices. That being the case, and all of us having such different and strong opinions on the issue, it would seem best for government to intervene only when it's own interests exceed that of the individual. As that was the governing determination of Roe v Wade, I'd say I feel comfortable in my belief that the current holding should remain unchanged.

Talk about a thread killer, lol.

Forum List

Back