My mother is an alcoholic - is it right that I have to pay for her?

Dog wrote: The Bible says "Honor thy father and thy mother."
:eusa_eh:
The same Bible also admonishes parents to 'not provoke their children to anger'. Eph.6.4 and Colo.3.21.

Having also grown up in an alcoholic environment, I can guarantee Allied is dealing with anger issues as well as the siblings as evidenced by the attempted suicide and current mental health therapy.

My advice would be to move out of the city where you will not be required to pay for the mistakes of your mother. It's probably a jurisdictional issue.

Good luck.

Dog wrote: The Bible says "Honor thy father and thy mother."
:eusa_eh:
The same Bible also admonishes parents to 'not provoke their children to anger'. Eph.6.4 and Colo.3.21.

Having also grown up in an alcoholic environment, I can guarantee Allied is dealing with anger issues as well as the siblings as evidenced by the attempted suicide and current mental health therapy.

My advice would be to move out of the city where you will not be required to pay for the mistakes of your mother. It's probably a jurisdictional issue.

Good luck.

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Eph 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
Eph 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Eph 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Eph 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Col 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Col 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
Col 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
Col 3:25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

In both cases where the Bible states for the father not to provoke their children to anger/wrath, it is meaning to raise them 'in the Lord', not to mention it is commanding the 'father' not to do so, NOT the 'mother' (I'm not saying the mother 'can' though). The woman(mother) in question seems to NOT have raise her children at all, let alone raise them in the Lord.

Also, the commandment for children to honour their parents is also for them to honour them 'in the Lord'. If the children are treated badly by the parents it does not make the command to honour them void. If you are commanded to do something, it should not matter what others do. What matters is only what YOU do.

Does she do what the Lord wants her to do or what she 'feels' like doing?

Forum List

Back