My mother had a heart attack

I hear you my mother had a stroke 5 days ago.. she was left speechless for 24 hrs and then began to talk again..but could int remember dates ..what year it was etc,,by the 4th days she had her recall back and was released and is at home now...it was a wake up call for me to cherish the time i have with her and all those I love...

Best of luck to her.

If she had minimal damage from the heart attack, then she should do very well. I assume that she will be doing cardiac rehab for a few months to help strengthen her heart. And of course, going forward, lowering the cholesterol, keeping the BP down, keeping the weight off, and not smoking will all be important.

Family support is also incredibly important...and it sounds like she has that. :)

Yes, she will be doing cardiac rehab for a while. She never has smoked, and her weight is good (5'4", 130 lbs.). Her cholesterol is around 200 and I know they want to get that down. Unfortunately, she had some adverse reactions to statins in the past, but she's going to try them again, at least for a while. She eats very healthy and avoids red meats.

When I went to visit her on Monday, I was joking with her that she is the cause of all my problems. I am partially color blind, which is passed on through her, red/green deficiency, I have cirrhosis of the liver due to hemochromatosis, which she is in part responsible for, and now I have to worry about heart disease on top of it all, lol.

She knew I was just giving her a hard time, but it was fun razzing her. I will probably have my heart checked within the next few years considering the excess iron may have done some damage to my heart as well as my liver. The good thing is that all the excess iron is now gone, and it can no longer do any more harm.

Good to hear she is doing well, spend as much time with her as possible.

My Father died 6 years ago, my Mother was devastated after celebrating their 57th anniversary the day before. She has spent the last six years in a very lonely state, I spoke to her on the phone everyday and visited her as often as possible. 3 months ago, at 86, she had a stroke, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and the next 2 months in Rehab homes. She had lost the ability to walk and the use of her right arm, she became very depressed and ended up back in the hospital severely dehydrated. They did numerous tests over the next week and she became progressively worse. We brought her home from the hospital to die at home 2 days ago after the doctors said there was nothing else they could do for her and told us her liver was failing. We have hospice nurses staying with her 24 hours a day along with 3 of her nieces. They are making sure she is comfortable and feeling no pain. All of her kids have been spending as much time with her as we can and now she has slipped into a deep and peaceful state of sleep......... it will be anytime now...... i miss her terribly all ready.

From someone about to lose his Mother very soon.......... spend as much quality time with her as you can, you will feel much better about yourself when she is gone and you will realize how priceless that time was........ nothing is more important.

I hear you my mother had a stroke 5 days ago.. she was left speechless for 24 hrs and then began to talk again..but could int remember dates ..what year it was etc,,by the 4th days she had her recall back and was released and is at home now...it was a wake up call for me to cherish the time i have with her and all those I love...

Best wishes to her also. I hope she has a full recovery.

Best of luck to her.

If she had minimal damage from the heart attack, then she should do very well. I assume that she will be doing cardiac rehab for a few months to help strengthen her heart. And of course, going forward, lowering the cholesterol, keeping the BP down, keeping the weight off, and not smoking will all be important.

Family support is also incredibly important...and it sounds like she has that. :)

Yes, she will be doing cardiac rehab for a while. She never has smoked, and her weight is good (5'4", 130 lbs.). Her cholesterol is around 200 and I know they want to get that down. Unfortunately, she had some adverse reactions to statins in the past, but she's going to try them again, at least for a while. She eats very healthy and avoids red meats.

When I went to visit her on Monday, I was joking with her that she is the cause of all my problems. I am partially color blind, which is passed on through her, red/green deficiency, I have cirrhosis of the liver due to hemochromatosis, which she is in part responsible for, and now I have to worry about heart disease on top of it all, lol.

She knew I was just giving her a hard time, but it was fun razzing her. I will probably have my heart checked within the next few years considering the excess iron may have done some damage to my heart as well as my liver. The good thing is that all the excess iron is now gone, and it can no longer do any more harm.

My Father died 6 years ago, my Mother was devastated after celebrating their 57th anniversary the day before. She has spent the last six years in a very lonely state, I spoke to her on the phone everyday and visited her as often as possible. 3 months ago, at 86, she had a stroke, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and the next 2 months in Rehab homes. She had lost the ability to walk and the use of her right arm, she became very depressed and ended up back in the hospital severely dehydrated. They did numerous tests over the next week and she became progressively worse. We brought her home from the hospital to die at home 2 days ago after the doctors said there was nothing else they could do for her and told us her liver was failing. We have hospice nurses staying with her 24 hours a day along with 3 of her nieces. They are making sure she is comfortable and feeling no pain. All of her kids have been spending as much time with her as we can and now she has slipped into a deep and peaceful state of sleep......... it will be anytime now...... i miss her terribly all ready.

From someone about to lose his Mother very soon.......... spend as much quality time with her as you can, you will feel much better about yourself when she is gone and you will realize how priceless that time was........ nothing is more important.

As we get older, the realization of how short this life is really does begin to set in. Making the most of it does have meaning.

Sunday afternoon, my mother started complaining about severe chest pains. My father drove her to the emergency room. Upon further testing, it was determined that she had a heart attack a number of years back on the left side of her heart. She never realized she had a heart attack in the past. After that attack, her body actually grew new blood vessels to the heart, bypassing the blockage that caused her first heart attack. The doctors said the left side of the heart was fine.

They also determined she had a heart attack a couple weeks ago, and then the last one Sunday afternoon. She was lucky she went in when she did, because the doctors said she would have had a massive attack within the next 24 hours. She had nearly 100% blockage on the right side, but a stent was used to open up the blood flow. She was very fortunate as the doctors said they saw no signs of damage to the heart. She went home Tuesday night.

All I can say is that I am grateful that she is being given more time with us.

I'm so so sorry. She will be in my prayers. Hug your mom everyday.

I hope for fast and full recovery for your mom. I hope you'll spend many happy years together. I hope you are feeling better yourself - it must have been a shock.

I'm so sorry about your mom. She'll be in my prayers.

Best of luck to her.

Sitarro, I know how hard that is. You and yours are in my prayers.

Good luck with that as well. You're right about making the most of time. We always kinda think our parents are invincible until one day, astonishingly, the clearly aren't.

Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

I wish you and your mom the best.

Did they figure out the cause of her stroke? Carotid stenosis, atrial fibrillation? Hopefully they figured it out so they can correct or control it.

Best of luck to her.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

But I'm sure that you and her will find hospice very helpful in her situation. I find that hospice nurses are by far the most caring nurses around. Let me know how your hospice experience goes.

For those of you who still have your parents....

Now is the time to get out all those old photographs and movies. Go through them with your parents, get those stories down on tape. Put names to the photographs.

I'm just sorry I didn't think of doing that before I lost my parents. Actually, my husband had just put all my parents old slides on a disc, but my mother died before she could go over them with us and tell us who everyone was.

For me, give your moms and dads a hug and tell them how much you love them.

I had the same thing done in nov. Had 2 stents put in. Was95% blocked in 2 places. 3 months later was having pain. Did not think much of it seeing they open it with the stents. How wrong i was went back in for another cath. And was almost 100%blocked with scare tissue.never was getting better. All on the right side.was told it could happen again. They put 2 more stents in. I am on pins and needles now. Because my cobra ins. Runs out in3 months. My mother died when she was 33 of the same thing. I do want to live. Cant find any ins. That will take me

I'll be praying for you.

This is not a thread to discuss nationalized health care.

My prayers are with you and your family.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

But I'm sure that you and her will find hospice very helpful in her situation. I find that hospice nurses are by far the most caring nurses around. Let me know how your hospice experience goes.

The hospice nurses were outstanding. 24 hours a day, they didn't leave her room. She stayed around for almost a week asleep(the doctors had said she wouldn't make it through the night), she died peacefully and without pain Palm Sunday. The night she died, a new nurse showed up, a woman from Kenya that was amazingly insightful. She had a sense of what was happening immediately and took over. She helped guide everyone in the home to make it easier for my Mother to pass on, it was truly a magical experience. She sensed that there was someone that my Mother was waiting to hear from, it was her sister who admitted to selfishly wanting her sister to stay, she went to my Mother's side and told her she would be OK and she could go........ she died a few minutes later. If one wants to say it's a coincidence, nobody that witnessed it will agree with them.

At her services, a Deacon and Priest cried while speaking about her, she touched many lives around her and will be missed by them all. I am happy that she is finally without pain and hopefully with my Father to enjoy eternity.

She was an incredible person and taught me how very powerful a woman can be while still making her husband feel that he was the man of the house. My Father was a fighter pilot and a bad ass but my Mother did what she wanted while also supporting him for 57 years........ I have looked for a woman like that for 40 years and haven't found one yet....... doubt I ever will.

It saddens me to know that Americans are not covered by universal medicare. To think that you can lose everything you have because you got sick is shocking indeed. Poor Americans.....sad indeed.

Forum List

Back