My mother had a heart attack

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Sunday afternoon, my mother started complaining about severe chest pains. My father drove her to the emergency room. Upon further testing, it was determined that she had a heart attack a number of years back on the left side of her heart. She never realized she had a heart attack in the past. After that attack, her body actually grew new blood vessels to the heart, bypassing the blockage that caused her first heart attack. The doctors said the left side of the heart was fine.

They also determined she had a heart attack a couple weeks ago, and then the last one Sunday afternoon. She was lucky she went in when she did, because the doctors said she would have had a massive attack within the next 24 hours. She had nearly 100% blockage on the right side, but a stent was used to open up the blood flow. She was very fortunate as the doctors said they saw no signs of damage to the heart. She went home Tuesday night.

All I can say is that I am grateful that she is being given more time with us.

Sunday afternoon, my mother started complaining about severe chest pains. My father drove her to the emergency room. Upon further testing, it was determined that she had a heart attack a number of years back on the left side of her heart. She never realized she had a heart attack in the past. After that attack, her body actually grew new blood vessels to the heart, bypassing the blockage that caused her first heart attack. The doctors said the left side of the heart was fine.

They also determined she had a heart attack a couple weeks ago, and then the last one Sunday afternoon. She was lucky she went in when she did, because the doctors said she would have had a massive attack within the next 24 hours. She had nearly 100% blockage on the right side, but a stent was used to open up the blood flow. She was very fortunate as the doctors said they saw no signs of damage to the heart. She went home Tuesday night.

Hope all goes well.

sorry to hear that. hopes she makes a full recovery.

I am sorry to hear this news. I wish you both the best of moments and the speediest of recoveries.

Glad to hear they were able to help her. My dad recently had a stroke and they found he has some issues in the heart valve that will need to be dealt with soon. We can both hope they recieve the best of care.

Just saw this! Hope your mother gets to feeling better, glad she's getting the help she needs!

Geez .......

I wish you and your family the best during this hard time and hope for a full recovery.

modern meds are amazing...i am glad she caught it...i wish you and your loved ones the best...
may the fates and muses be kind...i know it scares you to death...good luck

Best wishes for a full recovery - good news that there's no damage. But I need to observe that both your parents were on the ball in getting to the ER quickly and not brushing it off as bad indigestion and being embarrassed at the ER.

I'm happy for you, that you have more time with your mom. I miss mine. Give yours a hug for me.

My prayers are with your mom and your family in dealing with this. I hope that they can give her the right meds and she can ease into a rehab/workout plan to help her heart.

This is the example women need to realize heart attacks in women are so very different than those in men, in many cases. Thank you for sharing and like I said, prayers for her.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I spoke with her today and she is in good spirits. She's a bit sore from the procedure, but she's definitely happy to be alive. Today is her 78th birthday, so she received the greatest gift possible, her life. She's now back home and will start some therapy classes in a couple of weeks. Again, thank you all for your support.

Best of luck to her.

If she had minimal damage from the heart attack, then she should do very well. I assume that she will be doing cardiac rehab for a few months to help strengthen her heart. And of course, going forward, lowering the cholesterol, keeping the BP down, keeping the weight off, and not smoking will all be important.

Family support is also incredibly important...and it sounds like she has that. :)

Best of luck to her.

If she had minimal damage from the heart attack, then she should do very well. I assume that she will be doing cardiac rehab for a few months to help strengthen her heart. And of course, going forward, lowering the cholesterol, keeping the BP down, keeping the weight off, and not smoking will all be important.

Family support is also incredibly important...and it sounds like she has that. :)

Yes, she will be doing cardiac rehab for a while. She never has smoked, and her weight is good (5'4", 130 lbs.). Her cholesterol is around 200 and I know they want to get that down. Unfortunately, she had some adverse reactions to statins in the past, but she's going to try them again, at least for a while. She eats very healthy and avoids red meats.

When I went to visit her on Monday, I was joking with her that she is the cause of all my problems. I am partially color blind, which is passed on through her, red/green deficiency, I have cirrhosis of the liver due to hemochromatosis, which she is in part responsible for, and now I have to worry about heart disease on top of it all, lol.

She knew I was just giving her a hard time, but it was fun razzing her. I will probably have my heart checked within the next few years considering the excess iron may have done some damage to my heart as well as my liver. The good thing is that all the excess iron is now gone, and it can no longer do any more harm.

New Topics

Forum List

Back