My little buddy had a heart attack today

He died right in front of me. Unbelievably I was able to bring him back after about 2 minutes of CPR. Took him to the vet and after running tests and everything they called and said he was acting like nothing happened. He now has a heart mumur but she said he may very well live a few more years.

The events today have been some of the stranger ones of my life lately. I've never done CPR on a person let alone a dog but it just happened. Instinct I guess.

I'm just glad his time isn't up yet. I'm not ready for that.

Grats man.

:clap2:

Amazing and impressive. :razz:

How did you know it was a heart attack?

The Dr told me he had some kind of heart failure. At the time all I knew was he let out a scream like I've never heard before and just collapsed and died right there. It took me about 30 seconds to snap out of it and I just started chest compressions and mouth to mouth. After a couple minutes I gave up. Then out of no where his body started to squirm and he started gasping and coughing.

I'm so thankful I was home. He is a little subdued now but seems almost normal.

The Dr told me he had some kind of heart failure. At the time all I knew was he let out a scream like I've never heard before and just collapsed and died right there. It took me about 30 seconds to snap out of it and I just started chest compressions and mouth to mouth. After a couple minutes I gave up. Then out of no where his body started to squirm and he started gasping and coughing.

That must have been terrifying. So glad the little guy is recovering. Hope you are taking it easy as well, that was quite the event.

That is so cool! So glad you were able to save him and get to have him around longer!
My husband would have done the same thing....his little buddy is about 17 yrs old and he's going to be a basket case when Sammie's gone! :(

He died right in front of me. Unbelievably I was able to bring him back after about 2 minutes of CPR. Took him to the vet and after running tests and everything they called and said he was acting like nothing happened. He now has a heart mumur but she said he may very well live a few more years.

The events today have been some of the stranger ones of my life lately. I've never done CPR on a person let alone a dog but it just happened. Instinct I guess.

I'm happy that your sadness has been forwarded and that you have extra time to really show your love for him. :razz:

Lucky you...

Dog kisser! :eek:
Very happy for all of you today. :)

Sorry to hear it and happy to read you managed to save him, too.

Good show!

What a scare!! :eek: I'm so glad you reacted quickly and saved him. A friend of mine manated to save his aging miniature pincher the same way. The doggie lived for several years afterward.

Your buddy is a real cutie. Part shih tzu? Adorable!

We do what we do for our babies. And yes, I consider my beasties part of my family. I am thrilled that you were able to bring him back from the brink of death.

Kudos for your quick reaction. :clap2:

I had a cat that let out a scream like that and dropped dead. Unfortunately, by the time I found where he was hiding it was too late. : ( I guess...I didn't try CPR. I had a necropsy done and they found nothing, but said it was most likely a blood clot in the brain.

I'm so glad you were able to save your little buddy.

Yea! So glad to hear you were able to save him. Ok so I didn't know dogs could have heart attacks . . . never really thought about it before. Here's to many more years with your dogs!

Yea! So glad to hear you were able to save him. Ok so I didn't know dogs could have heart attacks . . . never really thought about it before. Here's to many more years with your dogs!

The vet had some complicated term for it. I just call it that to keep it simple.

And thanks to all for the positive feedback.

Forum List

Back