my kinda mayor!

How do you know it was a stray?

No one had been bitten. His actions were extreme. He tried to hide the evidence.
I don't suppose you like dogs very much. I remember reading a post of yours in another thread where you favored killing all dogs of certain breeds.
So I can see why you'd like this wacko.

a - it was a stray because the dipshit owner the aggressive dogs didn't claim it.

b - most cities have a law against dogs at large - hello again...

c - i don't think waiting until a kid gets mauled is necessary...having witnessed three dogs that needed die, i'm glad i didn't have to get bit for that to happen...thank you very much...

and finally as far as covering up the evidence?

wtf? he obivously admited where the mutts were at.

what was he supposed to do? leave em on the sidewalk??:cuckoo:

How do you know it was a stray?

No one had been bitten. His actions were extreme. He tried to hide the evidence.
I don't suppose you like dogs very much. I remember reading a post of yours in another thread where you favored killing all dogs of certain breeds.
So I can see why you'd like this wacko.

a - it was a stray because the dipshit owner the aggressive dogs didn't claim it.

b - most cities have a law against dogs at large - hello again...

c - i don't think waiting until a kid gets mauled is necessary...having witnessed three dogs that needed die, i'm glad i didn't have to get bit for that to happen...thank you very much...

City? It's supposed to be a town of 400.

If it was your dog that was shot by mistake, I don't think that guy would be so much of a hero in your eyes.

and finally as far as covering up the evidence?

wtf? he obivously admited where the mutts were at.

what was he supposed to do? leave em on the sidewalk??:cuckoo:

If he was able to remove the bodies, he could have taken them alive. He was out dog hunting. He made up an excuse. The legal system is handling him appropriately.

If it was your dog that was shot by mistake, I don't think that guy would be so much of a hero in your eyes.

uh, if i was a resident then would i have been in favor of being taxed to build a dog pound?

honestly having lived in the country and had my neighbors kill my dogs upteen times for chasing their cows or going on their property...i tend to take responsibilty for my animals should they get loose.

and again in my picture the dog the mayor shot was part of the pack that was chasing kids and other around town.

shit it should have been locked up.

if my animal poses a threat to humans...fuck ti.

it's a fucking dog.

not a human.

You're applauding him taking the law into his own hands? Sure pulling out a gun and shooting someone who is endangering someone's life would be heroic, but shouldn't he have got the police or animal control on this one? Is he going to be judge, jury and executioner for all of the town's problems?

To be fair the article does say that their were previous complaints and that the sheriffs department would do nothing about them.

Years ago we had an incident in this neighborhood when two bulldogs escaped the fence that surrounded their property and terrorized the kids at the school busstop. It was 9am and I called animal control. At 9:30, the dogs were terrorizing an old woman who couldn't get out her car, I called again. My neighbor, who was at the busstop with the kids, ended up spending most of the day in my house as she wasn't going to walk out there with those dogs to go home. I called animal control again at 10 and 10:30 and 11 and 11:30 and the police showed up at noon. guess I should have called them first. They used pepper spray on the dogs and animal control finally came to pick them up. Because they were licensed, they were back at home that night. Fortunately they never got out again, but if they had been sitting on the front lawn everyday, I would have shot them which would have been a trick since I would have had to get a gun first.

Sadly, it's not the dog's fault, it's the owners but sometimes the only way to solve the problem is to get rid of the dogs.

so I read the entire article, nobody was bitten? nobody was hurt? nothing. The dogs were lying on a sidewalk.. and he shot them in the head with a nine mm rifle.. great.. lucky no one in the neightborhood was hit accidently.. sounds like a cut and dried case of animal cruelty to me.

I'm not sure, if the dogs really were threatening the children in the neighborhood, even though not at that moment, perhaps they needed to be killed. I'd have to know more.

Better to kill a dog BEFORE he hurts a child than after.

To be fair the article does say that their were previous complaints and that the sheriffs department would do nothing about them.
To be fair would be to acknowledge the part where it said no one would file a formal complaint. The police can't do anything without someone going on record. If these dogs were such a menace and everyone knew it why would no one step up?

I totally agree that IF the dogs were doing something they should have been stopped. Laying on the sidewalk doesn't really qualify as terrifying behavior where I'm from so I would have let sleeping dogs lie.

But it doesn't matter, he's up on charges now. I'm just hoping the justice system works and it sends a message to others that would recklessly take the law into their own hands.

[No, he should have let the proper authorities take care of the matter.I read the whole article. No one would come forward with a formal complaint so the police couldn't do anything about it. Without someone coming forward there was NO issue to be settled. And if he was doing this to protect children WTF was he thinking shooting a gun in the neighborhood? A fence as a backstop? Sorry, I've hunted I know a fence doesn't necessarily stop bullets. And he did it from inside his van. Nice. And how did he know which dogs to shoot? What if someone else's dog had just happened to be there?If I saw someone shooting toward my house (and probably even a neighbors) from inside a van and I had a weapon I would take them out. That would be a great situation to have going on wouldn't it? But it wouldn't go down like that if the it was the police trying to shoot a dog.

actually there really aren't proper authorities in rural missouri...in a town that small...

the only solution is as i mentioned...is for the town to spend upteen dollars on equipment to catch the stray dogs...and to store the unwanted mutts until they get kilt legally 5 days later.

if you are advocating raising taxes to pay for big government that's great...

Well, for starters it's not in Missouri, it's in Kansas. And secondly, I'm not advocating raising taxes, I never said anything of the kind so you're either dumb or disingenuous. I said the proper authorities should have taken care of it. I'm from a rural area of Kansas that probably isn't too different and I'm tell you if someone rolled up and pointed a gun out the window we would have taken his ass out no questions asked.

Are you saying that kind of situation is preferable to someone who had a problem with the dogs going on record so the police could go out and actually follow the law?

As far as we know someone just had a problem with the guy so complained about his dogs. Now the dogs are dead and the mayor is responsible because he didn't follow the law.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't follow the laws?

Are you suggesting that you would have had two dogs on your front sidewalk that threatened the neighborhood kids? Then would have shot the man trying to solve the problem?

As I said, I've been in a neighborhood terrorized by dogs...it's not a pretty sight. When old women can't get out of their cars and the rest of the neighbors can't leave their houses and some people end up spending the day with their neighbors because they're too terrified to walk home...something needs to be done.

Perhaps no one was around the dogs because they were all hiding from them. Would you rather he wait until one of the neighborhood kids got hurt?

"The proper authorities".

Exactly. People who live in the cities and suburbs dont' get it. There are places where there are no proper authorities. I live in a town with no city police. I've lived in a town that not only didn't have city police, it was 30 miles from the nearest sheriff's deputy. We had a mayor, though, and he was the go-to person when it came to anything.

I've lived in a place that didn't have a police officer, and I had neighbors with three big dogs that chased my livestock and threatened my mother. I talked to the neighbor, who was supremely indifferent (they're just PLAYING with your cows and horses, they don't want to hurt them...this about their mastiff, german shepherd and rottie) then called the county, then went back to the neighbor to tell them I was putting traps along my fenceline, and any dog I caught I was going to let die a miserable death, then throw its carcass over the fence.

Voila, no more dogs, at least on my property.

Those dogs went on to bad ends, though. Two were destroyed for killing sheep, and the Rottie bit a little girl walking home from school in the face, injuring her seriously enough for a lot of stitches and scars.

Dangerous dogs get killed. That's the way it is.

Allie, read the article. There is a police presence there, no one would go on record so the police couldn't do anything about it. I'm from rural Kansas, I know how it is, you take care of what needs taken care of, I get it. Believe me, if some nut pulled up in van and stuck a rifle out the window he wouldn't have been driving away, we'd have been burying him out back and disposing of the vehicle.

But this is different. The mayor wasn't being attacked by dogs and defending himself. He took someone else's word on it, then took the law into his own hands. How would you like it if someone with a vendetta against you told the mayor your dogs were bothering people and the mayor just shows up out of the blue and shoots your dogs on your property?

Knowing you I don't think you'd appreciate that none too much.

My dog wouldn't be out on the front sidewalk. She's always been fenced in or on a leash. Yeah, there are occasions where she's gotten loose, but if she were chasing kids and sleeping on my front porch and someone shot her so that the kids could feel safe walking by my house, I would feel bad, but I would understand.

Kids come first and they should be able to feel safe in their own neighborhoods.

actually there really aren't proper authorities in rural missouri...in a town that small...

the only solution is as i mentioned...is for the town to spend upteen dollars on equipment to catch the stray dogs...and to store the unwanted mutts until they get kilt legally 5 days later.

if you are advocating raising taxes to pay for big government that's great...

Well, for starters it's not in Missouri, it's in Kansas. And secondly, I'm not advocating raising taxes, I never said anything of the kind so you're either dumb or disingenuous. I said the proper authorities should have taken care of it. I'm from a rural area of Kansas that probably isn't too different and I'm tell you if someone rolled up and pointed a gun out the window we would have taken his ass out no questions asked.

Are you saying that kind of situation is preferable to someone who had a problem with the dogs going on record so the police could go out and actually follow the law?

As far as we know someone just had a problem with the guy so complained about his dogs. Now the dogs are dead and the mayor is responsible because he didn't follow the law.

Are you suggesting that you would have had two dogs on your front sidewalk that threatened the neighborhood kids? Then would have shot the man trying to solve the problem?

As I said, I've been in a neighborhood terrorized by dogs...it's not a pretty sight. When old women can't get out of their cars and the rest of the neighbors can't leave their houses and some people end up spending the day with their neighbors because they're too terrified to walk home...something needs to be done.

Perhaps no one was around the dogs because they were all hiding from them. Would you rather he wait until one of the neighborhood kids got hurt?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm SAYING if someone in a van pulled up in front of our house and pointed a weapon they wouldn't have been driving away. You have a problem with my dogs and you're so afraid of them you can sitin your van and blow the horn until I come out and we can talk about it. OR you can show up in a police car, wearing a uniform and do pretty much whatever you want.

Like I said in the other post, if these dogs were such a terror why wouldn't anyone file a formal complaint? The mayor could have done it if he felt so strongly. But without a formal complaint we have a private citizen destroying another private citizen's property. It all seems pretty clear cut to me. Hard to believe any of you would stand for someone coming to your house and shooting at it. Do you slap other peoples kids in the grocery store if they're acting up too?

To be fair would be to acknowledge the part where it said no one would file a formal complaint. The police can't do anything without someone going on record. If these dogs were such a menace and everyone knew it why would no one step up?
I found that troubling too. Why did no one make a formal complaint? The police tried to get them to do it. Sounds fishy to me. Like maybe he was an unpopular neighbor.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm SAYING if someone in a van pulled up in front of our house and pointed a weapon they wouldn't have been driving away. You have a problem with my dogs and you're so afraid of them you can sitin your van and blow the horn until I come out and we can talk about it. OR you can show up in a police car, wearing a uniform and do pretty much whatever you want.

Like I said in the other post, if these dogs were such a terror why wouldn't anyone file a formal complaint? The mayor could have done it if he felt so strongly. But without a formal complaint we have a private citizen destroying another private citizen's property. It all seems pretty clear cut to me. Hard to believe any of you would stand for someone coming to your house and shooting at it. Do you slap other peoples kids in the grocery store if they're acting up too?

I'll bet your one of those "it takes a village to raise a child" people aren't you? The kind who gets most upset if someone actually tried to discipline your child. No, I've not slapped other people's kids in the grocery store, but I have yelled at them.

Not everyone who passes by your house is in a vehicle. Do you really believe you should be able to have two dogs who threaten passers by without any repercussions?

The man wasn't shooting at the house, he was shooting at the dogs and I'm guessing he's a good enough shot that he got the dogs, am I right?

I found that troubling too. Why did no one make a formal complaint? The police tried to get them to do it. Sounds fishy to me. Like maybe he was an unpopular neighbor.

I totally agree that kids should be safe and all that, I'm just saying that we have laws for a reason. If there's no imminent danger you can't go shooting up the neighborhood.

What if the guy decided to start an auto repair business in his front yard and you didn't like it? Could you go get a tow truck and start dragging away cars? What if he were putting up tasteless statues in his front yard? Could you go steal them in the middle of the night? No, there are procedures for dealing with situations. And followed correctly they deter future deviations from the community standards.

The dogs were threatening kids...kids aren't gonna let people know they're afraid of dogs.
And parents may not want their kids dragged through court, for whatever reason.

Oh, and no formal charges were filed against the dogs that spent that day terrorizing our neighborhood either.

Regardless of other people's experiences with loose dogs, this particular story demonstrates the mistakes that happen when you allow vigilante justice to run lose and ignore proper procedures. In this case the system did not let the people down, the people let the system, and the smaller dog who had not harmed anyone, all down.

I'll bet your one of those "it takes a village to raise a child" people aren't you? The kind who gets most upset if someone actually tried to discipline your child. No, I've not slapped other people's kids in the grocery store, but I have yelled at them.

Nope, Hillary can take her village and shove it. That's why I'd lay you out if touched one of my kids. If you yelled at them you'd better be prepared to answer for your actions, because you wouldn't have reason to even look at my kids. Sounds to me like you're the "takes a village" type if you think it's your job to yell at someone else's kid.

Not everyone who passes by your house is in a vehicle. Do you really believe you should be able to have two dogs who threaten passers by without any repercussions?
Do you read what I post or just blindly respond. You're making a fool of yourself. I've state quite plainly that I don't condone dogs menacing the neighborhood. But I would wait for proof of some kind before shooting someone's dogs. If the mayor knew the dogs to be a danger HE could have gone on record.

The man wasn't shooting at the house, he was shooting at the dogs and I'm guessing he's a good enough shot that he got the dogs, am I right?

If he pulled up in front he pretty much had to be shooting in the direction of the house. He said he was using a fence as a backstop. Know much about guns? A fence won't stop a bullet.

I'm not going to respond to you any more on this subject if you're not going to even read my posts. It's a waste of time.

I totally agree that kids should be safe and all that, I'm just saying that we have laws for a reason. If there's no imminent danger you can't go shooting up the neighborhood.

What if the guy decided to start an auto repair business in his front yard and you didn't like it? Could you go get a tow truck and start dragging away cars? What if he were putting up tasteless statues in his front yard? Could you go steal them in the middle of the night? No, there are procedures for dealing with situations. And followed correctly they deter future deviations from the community standards.

An auto repair business and statues aren't going to be chasing kids down the road.

Forum List

Back