My internet joined a union

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
Here's a Christmas Puzzle.

For the last four consecutive days my internet connection has ceased except for intermittent connections in the evenings. About dusk is when it occurs. From then on I can ping repeatedly and each ping is different. Some will get all four hits, some one of four, some none of four.

A tech has been out here three times. We have replaced the phone line from the jack to the main machine. We replaced the line filters, we tested the incoming signal for loss at the jacks, we disconected all jacked lines except the ones leading to the modem (DSL). Yesterday we swapped the modem and double checked the security settings.

Last night at dusk, it died on schedule.

I am a reasonably decent hand with this kind of stuff. But I am now officially stumped. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.

Here's a Christmas Puzzle.

For the last four consecutive days my internet connection has ceased except for intermittent connections in the evenings. About dusk is when it occurs. From then on I can ping repeatedly and each ping is different. Some will get all four hits, some one of four, some none of four.

A tech has been out here three times. We have replaced the phone line from the jack to the main machine. We replaced the line filters, we tested the incoming signal for loss at the jacks, we disconected all jacked lines except the ones leading to the modem (DSL). Yesterday we swapped the modem and double checked the security settings.

Last night at dusk, it died on schedule.

I am a reasonably decent hand with this kind of stuff. But I am now officially stumped. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks.

Do you have Road Runner from Time Warner? I get unexplained loss of connection about twice a day, anywhere from 10 mins to a half hour, about the same times each day.

And pay a lot of money for that pleasure.

Do you have Road Runner from Time Warner? I get unexplained loss of connection about twice a day, anywhere from 10 mins to a half hour, about the same times each day.

And pay a lot of money for that pleasure.

Yup I have Road Runner and Around Midnight to 1 most nights it can happen and Monday Mornings are real bad. And of course other convenient times the service just craps out. To add insult to injury the help line is run ON the cable so when it craps out, you can NOT call them to complain cause their phones are all dead.

Nope, tis AT&T and the house phone works even when DSL don't. As we speak a tech is outside waiting for the nightly crash at dusk.

IF your reading this Larry, hang in there, come dusk it'll all crash down.

Nope, tis AT&T and the house phone works even when DSL don't. As we speak a tech is outside waiting for the nightly crash at dusk.

IF your reading this Larry, hang in there, come dusk it'll all crash down.

Dsl is only capable of working within a certain distance from the c.o. so any loss can effect your connection...my advice is switch to a cable modem until fiber optics is available....

Dsl is only capable of working within a certain distance from the c.o. so any loss can effect your connection...my advice is switch to a cable modem until fiber optics is available....

Yep, I am at the edge of the DSL envelope. I had cable when I lived in the city. Actually had lots more issues with that than I've had with DSL.

We actually dialed the modem down by 500 baud and since then, no issues. Seems I was trying to take too bigga bite. Half a K isn't even noticeable so I am a happy surfer again.

Fiber..... Hmmmmmmm.

Forum List

Back