My House Just Flooded

We got 4 inches of rain in 25 minutes, 5 in less than an hour. I've never seen it come down so hard.

The water came in throughout most of our house. It was about an inch deep in the bathroom, which was the worst. We're cleaning up. I'm going to have to replace all the floors and carpets and probably some beds too, which we didn't keep on a frame.

Called the water extraction people. They'll be here in half an hour. Called my flood insurer but they are closed so I'll call tomorrow. Anything else I should do? I mean, besides go swimming in my back yard?

Make sure you use American workers, stop supporting illegals.

Thanks for asking.

I'm starting to get a handle on it. Having never been flooded before, I have had no idea what to expect. Over the past day, three restoration and reconstruction guys came in to explain to me what's what. I have another coming tomorrow morning. I hope to have someone to work by tomorrow afternoon or Thursday. The adjuster got it somewhat wrong but we'll bring him around.

I'm going to have to move out of my house over the next day or two since they have to start decontaminating it and tearing out the walls and floors. My wife and my son are up in Canada, so that's fortuitous. I'll spend tomorrow looking for an apartment to rent. They say that I could be out for up to a month, maybe longer. However, one guy said he could have me back in 2-3 weeks if I don't mind the floors and cabinets being ripped out, which I don't. That's OK because my wife is the one who will be choosing the new stuff anyways. God forbid if I were to pick everything! She may have to stay away for an extra week or two. That sucks because I miss my family. But I'd rather them stay with her mother than in a semi-furnished apartment.

Thanks for the update. Its good to know things are moving forward for you. I suggest getting a web cam for live feeds to your family, that way you dont get anything wrong :)

iuf its just for a month of less, why not look into an extended stay america(long term hotel chain)

Thanks

I looked at a few of those today. Weekly rates at one started at $500 for a one bedroom, but they were full anyways and I didn't like the vibe. Another for a two bedroom was $99 a night plus tax for 30 days, or $129 plus tax for less than 30 days. The unit was surprisingly small. I can find a two bedroom 1100-1200 sq ft apartment for ~$900 in a nice complex for a three month lease. Its unfurnished but I can drag a few pieces of furniture over, so I think that's what I'll do. I have to find a place that takes dogs. My poor puppy is feeling out of sorts.

sorry about the flood... when we flooded we used servico.. they got rid of all the debris and were pretty efficient.

make sure you keep a list of any items lost because you'll have to itemize for the insurance company and take lots of photos.

As others have already mentioned, check out the electrical stuff especially computers and be sure they are unplugged. And yes, a dehumidifier is essential! You do not want mold to begin to get inside the drywall.

My husband and I used to do emergency flood repair and mold was one of the biggest problems. So get a dehumidifier and get that wet carpet and padding out ASAP and a couple of fans to keep the air moving so there is no stagnant air. Make sure whatever company you hire does some kind of mold prevention such as spraying the baseboards or even if the baseboards are removed to spray in behind where the baseboards were.

Unfortunately some states have something in the insurance policies that if you make a claim on flood damage they cancel your insurance or raise the rates much higher.
Water Damage and Homeowner's Insurance: (1) Insurance Claim1
FCS 3303/FY1082: Water Damage and Homeowner's Insurance: (1) Insurance Claim

Forum List

Back