My House Just Flooded

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
We got 4 inches of rain in 25 minutes, 5 in less than an hour. I've never seen it come down so hard.

The water came in throughout most of our house. It was about an inch deep in the bathroom, which was the worst. We're cleaning up. I'm going to have to replace all the floors and carpets and probably some beds too, which we didn't keep on a frame.

Called the water extraction people. They'll be here in half an hour. Called my flood insurer but they are closed so I'll call tomorrow. Anything else I should do? I mean, besides go swimming in my back yard?

We got 4 inches of rain in 25 minutes, 5 in less than an hour. I've never seen it come down so hard.

The water came in throughout most of our house. It was about an inch deep in the bathroom, which was the worst. We're cleaning up. I'm going to have to replace all the floors and carpets and probably some beds too, which we didn't keep on a frame.

Called the water extraction people. They'll be here in half an hour. Called my flood insurer but they are closed so I'll call tomorrow. Anything else I should do? I mean, besides go swimming in my back yard?

you're in the news!!!!

smile at the news choppers.

bullinpool1.jpg

Bummer! Yeah, you might wanna make sure about your electrical stuff being effected.

slab and no basement? on a flat parcel with no rise to your home?

How did it come it? Just seeped through the lower walls? no gutters on your home or it was too much for the gutters to handle?

you are scaring me....I think I need to recheck that the grading around my house and is packed right and leaning downhill from the house....

Rip out the carpets at the next available opportunity if they are not salvageable. Buy a dehumidifier. And some Damp Rid.

If mold gets up in your drywall you'll have a much larger problem.

How horrible! Sorry to hear it. Hope you don't have too much damage.

the water extraction people will likely be able to save your carpets
so dont rip anything out before THEY tell you its not savable

and the fast response you gave to calling them might even save some of your other things too

for later, you might want to look into putting some drainage around your house

Last edited:
slab and no basement? on a flat parcel with no rise to your home?

How did it come it? Just seeped through the lower walls? no gutters on your home or it was too much for the gutters to handle?

you are scaring me....I think I need to recheck that the grading around my house and is packed right and leaning downhill from the house....

Slab on ground.

We're on a low lying area with a pond in the back. We've had water back up into the yard but nothing like this.

We have flood insurance so it'll all get paid for, and no one is in any danger, but it is somewhat unnerving.

the water extraction people will likely be able to save your carpets
so dont rip anything out before THEY tell you its not savable

and the fast response you gave to calling them might even save some of your other things too

for later, you might want to look into putting some drainage around your house

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I want to save all of it though! I want new stuff!

This so reminds me of the classic line from "The Jerk":

"It's not the money I miss, it's THE STUFF!"

Forum List

Back