My high school textbook seems politically biased and factually incorrect.

Is this a bad textbook? Should it be replaced?

• Total voters
Are you crazy? No has the right to create a public disturbance. No one has the right to scream when someone in a public meeting is speaking quietly and to the point. I told the lefties as well we would not tolerate disturbance from anyone.

You are not a conservative, one who with a criminal intent pretending to be one.

We did the right thing, without a doubt.
Yes, that's what Roosevelt said when he ordered Japanese and Japanese Americans on the west coast put in camps.

You leftists sure do like to silence dissent, don't you?

Well, since they never have a leg to stand on in DEBATING their dissenters, that really only leaves silencing them as an option.

Are you crazy? No has the right to create a public disturbance. No one has the right to scream when someone in a public meeting is speaking quietly and to the point. I told the lefties as well we would not tolerate disturbance from anyone.

You are not a conservative, one who with a criminal intent pretending to be one.

We did the right thing, without a doubt.
Yes, that's what Roosevelt said when he ordered Japanese and Japanese Americans on the west coast put in camps.

You leftists sure do like to silence dissent, don't you?

Well, since they never have a leg to stand on in DEBATING their dissenters, that really only leaves silencing them as an option.
And they love to do it.

The dissenters are debated, and if the dissenters break the law, they pay for it.

That's the American way.

Dear PoliticsKid:
After reading these responses, again, I strongly encourage you consider working with this teacher, and possibly an English or Communications/Speech teacher, to set up a student debate club, given your interest and aptitude in this area.

Maybe you can come back and give some pointers to the other people on this thread
how to stay on topic. I thought I was bad about that! Gee Whiz!

Take care, thanks for posting, and I hope
you stay politically involved.

My best advice to you is to listen to the far right AND the far left
media watch groups who criticize the media from BOTH SIDES to catch
ALL the information that is LEFT OUT. If you only listen to the right
complain about the left, or the left complain about the right, you will
miss half of the information that is being filtered out.

If you are going to check out Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Larry Elders,
then also listen to Amy Goodman, Pacifica and NPR. Make friends on all
sides of the religious and political spectrum; and where these agree,
pay attention, and where these disagree, check out all the other sources.

Dear PoliticsKid:
After reading these responses, again, I strongly encourage you consider working with this teacher, and possibly an English or Communications/Speech teacher, to set up a student debate club, given your interest and aptitude in this area.

Maybe you can come back and give some pointers to the other people on this thread
how to stay on topic. I thought I was bad about that! Gee Whiz!

Take care, thanks for posting, and I hope
you stay politically involved.

My best advice to you is to listen to the far right AND the far left
media watch groups who criticize the media from BOTH SIDES to catch
ALL the information that is LEFT OUT. If you only listen to the right
complain about the left, or the left complain about the right, you will
miss half of the information that is being filtered out.

If you are going to check out Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Larry Elders,
then also listen to Amy Goodman, Pacifica and NPR. Make friends on all
sides of the religious and political spectrum; and where these agree,
pay attention, and where these disagree, check out all the other sources.

. . . and realize that all sides are owned, controlled by those who only want you to believe that your personal sovereignty is not your own, but is subservient to the government or the corporations and cartels that run it. They all want you to believe that more government, more taxes, more programs, and more meddling in international affairs are the solution to the problems of the United States.

The media on the right is produced by corporations. Not exactly unbiased. The media on the left is produced by foundations, known for their social engineering goals. If you are lazy and get your infortainment from either of these sources as emilynghiem suggests, then you will be a pawn, a mere mouth piece for the NWO, and the Jesuits. Their goals are to strip us of our liberties by dividing us. They want us to see in each other a threat. The blacks see in whites a threat. Women see in men a threat. Gays see in straights, and fundamental christians are to see in gays, threats. The secularists and Atheists want to destroy religions, and people in faith are up in arms. I could go on and on how the elites of the globalists use these left and right gate keepers in media to divide us. I hear fear and hatred preached to me in both types of media. The truth? The elites are every true American's real enemy. They are the ones gutting our infrastructure, destroying our schools, looting our economy. But while we are attacking each other, blaming each others ideological "parties" and heroes over foolish distractions, their plans continue unabated.

I do as emilynghiem suggests, but I do it knowing full well the interests behind the media.
When you do check out "watch dog groups," be mindful. Most watch dog groups are usually funded by the establishment to give credibility to the very establishment they are watching. Find out who is funding the watch dog groups. Sites like "snopes" and "factcheck" cannot be trusted due to who runs them and where they get their support. Others are much the same.

Many of them all meet at the Harold Pratt House in New York. It makes no difference if they are outwardly conservative or liberal. Behind closed doors, people like Hillary Clinton and Dick Cheney, they are the best of friends, laughing at you and I, thinking we are nothing but worthless eaters. Devising better ways to give us cancer quicker so we can be thrown into the system, generate revenue, and die.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/3302-elites-push-government-funded-public-media

If you want the truth about something, you must actively seek it from independent media, not from the gatekeepers who tell you what to think. It won't be found on the television, and it won't be found on the radio. It most certainly won't be found in print. If there is money to be made, or it costs money to disseminate, it is intellectual and mental conditioning. The only information you can trust is from the people. Citizen journalists, not left gatekeepers or right gatekeepers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfS8LyeUyM]Leonard Cohen - Everybody knows (live in London, 2008) - YouTube[/ame]

Many of them all meet at the Harold Pratt House in New York. It makes no difference if they are outwardly conservative or liberal. Behind closed doors, people like Hillary Clinton and Dick Cheney, they are the best of friends, laughing at you and I, thinking we are nothing but worthless eaters. Devising better ways to give us cancer quicker so we can be thrown into the system, generate revenue, and die.

Conspiracy Forum - thataway. Try to find a shrink while you're on your way.

Conspiracy Forum - thataway. Try to find a shrink while you're on your way.

Whatever. . .
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYq3TaBik64]Hillary Clinton admits that the CFR runs the Government - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAk-7F1EVU]Cheney on CFR, Council on Foreign Relations - YouTube[/ame]

Okay so I've been thinking for a while now that my AP Human Geography textbook is biased or factually incorrect, but I wanted to see if other people agreed. Let me tell you why I think so. By the way, I'm a freshman in a public high school, so if they're distributing politically biased textbooks, they are acting in an unconstitutional manner.

Here's one quote from it:

"Some of today's immigrants to the United States and Canada are poor people pushed from their homes by economic desperation, but most are young, well educated people lured to economically growing countries."

I don't think this is true. With the millions and millions of uneducated people a year we're receiving from Latin America, I don't see how it can be.

Also, here's a paragraph that attempts to briefly describe the motives of the 9/11 terrorists, linking it to opposition of globalization:

"A much more extreme opposition to globalization led to the attack by al-Qaeda terrorists against the United States on September 11, 2001, with support of the Taliban then in control of Afghanistan. Al-Qaeda selected targets- the World Trade Center and the Pentagon-they considered especially visible symbols of US domination of globalization trends in culture, politics, and economy. Afghanistan's Taliban leaders justified such actions as banning television and restricting women's activities as consistent with local traditions, and such punishments as public floggings and severing of limbs as a necessary counterbalance to strong forces of globalization."

Okay, there's nothing factually wrong here, I just think it left out a very important detail. It didn't mention the Taliban's and al-Qaedas religious beliefs, which are a very important detail to include because they pretty much control they're behavior. They don't restrict women's activities to stay consistent with "local traditions", as my textbook claims, they do it because of they're radical beliefs!

Here's what I thought was a big signal of bias. It's relating to illegal immigration:

"Hostile citizens in California and other states have voted to deny undocumented immigrants access to most public services, such as schools, day-care centers, and health clinics. The laws have been difficult to enforce and of dubious constitutionality, but their enactment reflects on the unwillingness of many Americans to help out needy immigrants."

I think the bias here is pretty obvious. It calls the citizens who vote not to allow illegals the right to use public services "hostile", for one. It also puts a very negative light on people with those views by essentially calling them unwilling to help out all immigrants, not just illegal ones.

So, after reading through these, do you agree with me that my textbook is biased? These are just some of the examples of bias, by the way, and there are many others. I'm going to look for the textbook for more as I know they're in there and I might post again on this same subject.

Your textbook is just ONE source of information. If you are seriously interested in any subject there are hundreds of sources on any subject you can think of here on the internet and at your public library. Everyone has some kind of bias. There is no "conspiracy". It is up to you to be curious enough in your education process to find several points of view on topics where "opinion" of the author seems unlikely or untrue. You are only 14. You are too young to have biases.

Forum List

Back