My head hurts: Martin Luther ....Sola Fide

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
As a christian your suppose to read the entire Scripture and I know they have been arguing about this for what 1600 years???

But Saved by grace or works?...................and can you lose your salvation???

Sola Fide: The Reformed Doctrine of Justification by J.I. Packer

“The confession of divine justification touches man’s life at its heart, at the point of its relationship to God. It defines the preaching of the Church, the existence and progress of the life of faith, the root of human security, and man’s perspective for the future.”1 So wrote G. C. Berkhouwer of the doctrine of justification by faith set forth by Paul and reapprehended with decisive clarity at the Reformation; and in so writing he showed himself a true heir of the Reformers. For his statement is no more, just as it is no less, than a straightforward spelling out of what Luther had meant when he called justification by faith articulus stantis aut cadentis ecclesiae-the point of belief which determines (not politically or financially, but theologically and spiritually) whether the Church stands or falls.

With Luther, the Reformers saw all Scripture as being, in the last analysis, either law or gospel—meaning by “law” all that exposes our ruin through sin and by “gospel” everything that displays our restoration by grace through faith—and the heart of the biblical gospel was to them God’s free gift of righteousness and justification. Here was the sum and substance of that sola fide—sola gratia—solo Christo—Sola Scriptura—soli Deo gloria which was the sustained theme of their proclamation, polemics, praises and prayers. And to their minds (note well!) proclamation, polemics, praise, and prayer belonged together, just as did the five Latin slogans linked above as epitomizing their message. Justification by faith, by grace, by Christ, through Scripture, to the glory of God was to them a single topic, just as a fugue with several voices is a single piece. This justification was to them not theological speculation but a religious reality, apprehended through prayer by revelation from God via the Bible. It was a gift given as part of God’s total work of love in saving us, a work which leads us to know God and ourselves as both really are—something which the unbelieving world does not know. And to declare and defend God’s justification publicly as the only way of life for any man was at once an act of confessing their faith, of glorifying their God by proclaiming his wonderful work, and of urging others to approach him in penitent and hopeful trust just as they did themselves.

So, where Rome had taught a piecemeal salvation, to be gained by stages through working a sacramental treadmill, the Reformers now proclaimed a unitary salvation, to be received in its entirety here and now by self-abandoning faith in God’s promise, and in the God and the Christ of that promise, as set forth in the pages of the Bible. Thus the rediscovery of the gospel brought a rediscovery of evangelism, the task of summoning non-believers to faith. Rome had said, God’s grace is great, for through Christ’s cross and his Church salvation is possible for all who will work and suffer for it; so come to church, and toil! But the Reformers said, God’s grace is greater, for through Christ’s cross and his Spirit salvation, full and free, with its unlimited guarantee of eternal joy, is given once and forever to all who believe; so come to Christ, and trust and take!

Saved by grace or works? Ephesians 2:8-9 Commentary

Saved by grace or works?
When we receive the forgiveness of sins our spirit is saved—that is the beginning of our faith. But Peter writes about the end of our faith, the salvation of our soul.
Written by Tom Harris

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.Ephesians 2:8-9.

Grace for forgiveness
We can see this in the case of the thief who died on the cross together with Jesus. He turned to Jesus and Jesus received him saying: “Today you will be with Me in Paradise”. Luke 23:43. His sins were forgiven and he was able to go with Jesus into Paradise. He received the forgiveness of sins by grace, even though he had absolutely no works to boast of.

But there is more to salvation than just receiving the forgiveness of sins. Paul writes in Romans 5:10 that after being reconciled to God through Jesus’ death, much more we will be saved through His life. What does it mean to be saved through His life?

Grace means power to do God’s will
After we have received the forgiveness of sins and come to faith in Jesus we are able to receive His Spirit. That means we have received the power (grace) we need to do the will of God, just as Jesus did. But then we must deny our own will, according to the fleshSin is anything that goes against God’s will and His laws. To commit sin is to transgress or disobey these laws. The lust to sin dwells in human nature. In other words, it is contaminated and motivated by the sinful tendencies that dwell in all people as a result of the fall into sin and disobedience in the garden of Eden. This... More. When we do this, we lose our life according to the flesh, but gain a new life according to the Spirit. This is what Jesus speaks about in Luke 9:23,24:

“Then He said to them all, ‘If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.’”

In this way a transformationThis is the process of sanctification, in which we our sinful human nature is gradually exchanged for divine nature when we in obedience to God’s will deny and put to death the sinful lusts in our flesh. (Romans 12:2; 2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Peter 1:3-4)... More takes place. Our arrogance is being replaced by humility, our hardness by mercy, our impatience by patience etc. Our own works are replaced by God’s works. This is much more than just receiving the forgiveness of sins. So we see it is by doing the will of God that we partake of this “much more” salvation.

How many christian Denominations is there that they teach you can lose your salvation?

Sola fide - Wikipedia

Roman Catholic
Process Synergism Can be lost via mortal sin Part of the same process

Lutheran Event Divine monergism Can be lost via loss of faith Justification is separate from and occurs prior to sanctification

Methodist Event Synergism Can be lost Dependent upon continued sanctification

Orthodox Process Synergism Can be lost through sin Part of the same process of theosis

Reformed Event Divine monergism Cannot be lost Both are a result of union with Christ

Sola fide and the Early Church Fathers
Both Protestant and Catholic theologians admit that faith alone was also taught by some Church Fathers.[44] James Buchanan (1804-1870), a Scottish minister, reckoned that there were at least 28 Church Fathers who taught justification through faith alone. According to Buchanan, at least until the 12th century there was always at least one theologian teaching the doctrine in a systematic way:[76]

Here are some quotes from various Christian writers through the ages, on both sides:

Clement of Rome (c. 30–100)
“And we [Christians], too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
"Let us cleave, then, to those to whom grace has been given by God. Let us clothe ourselves with concord and humility, ever exercising self-control, standing far off from all whispering and evil-speaking, being justified by our works, and not our words... Let our praise be in God, and not of ourselves; for God hates those that commend themselves. Let testimony to our good deeds be borne by others, as it was in the case of our righteous forefathers."
"The good servant receives the bread of his labour with confidence; the lazy and slothful cannot look his employer in the face. It is requisite, therefore, that we be prompt in the practice of well-doing; for of Him are all things. And thus He forewarns us: Behold, the Lord [comes], and His reward is before His face, to render to every man according to his work. He exhorts us, therefore, with our whole heart to attend to this, that we be not lazy or slothful in any good work. Let our boasting and our confidence be in Him." [77]
Justin Martyr (d. 165)
in his Dialogue with Trypho: “No longer by the blood of goats and of sheep, or by the ashes of a heifer . . . are sins purged, but by faith, through the blood of Christ and his death, who died on this very account.”[78]
Marius Victorinus (290-364)
“For faith itself alone gives justification and sanctification.”[44]

You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will

Rush - "Freewill".

I believe that if I obey the Ten Commandments, which includes going to Mass on Sunday, I will go to heaven.

I believe that if I obey the Ten Commandments, which includes going to Mass on Sunday, I will go to heaven.

Actually, the 10 Commandments were originally given to Moses, who was Jewish. And, the sabbath for those of the Jewish faith is actually from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. So, if you are trying to keep the original 10 Commandments, then you need to switch your sabbath day.

And, the sabbath for those of the Jewish faith is actually from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday
JESUS SAID: "The Sabbath was made for MAN, and not Man for the Sabbath."

MADE FOR MAN, NOT MADE FOR THE JEWS.

If you dont follow the Sabbath of Jesus and the apostles, you are not following Christ

And, the sabbath for those of the Jewish faith is actually from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday
JESUS SAID: "The Sabbath was made for MAN, and not Man for the Sabbath."

MADE FOR MAN, NOT MADE FOR THE JEWS.

If you dont follow the Sabbath of Jesus and the apostles, you are not following Christ

Are you saying Christians should to church on Saturday?

Attending mass on Sunday isn't in the top ten commandments. Catholic priests didn't start saying masses on any day of the week until long after Moe came down from Sinai with the stone tablets.

Attending mass on Sunday isn't in the top ten commandments. Catholic priests didn't start saying masses on any day of the week until long after Moe came down from Sinai with the stone tablets.

I always thought that Christians celebrated the resurrection by going to church on Sunday.

I always thought that Christians celebrated the resurrection by going to church on Sunday.

Sure, but the Decalogue preceded Almighty God's resurrection by many centuries. Don't confuse the two Heston vehicles, Ben-Hur and Ten Commandments.

As a christian your suppose to read the entire Scripture and I know they have been arguing about this for what 1600 years???

But Saved by grace or works?...................and can you lose your salvation???

Sola Fide: The Reformed Doctrine of Justification by J.I. Packer

“The confession of divine justification touches man’s life at its heart, at the point of its relationship to God. It defines the preaching of the Church, the existence and progress of the life of faith, the root of human security, and man’s perspective for the future.”1 So wrote G. C. Berkhouwer of the doctrine of justification by faith set forth by Paul and reapprehended with decisive clarity at the Reformation; and in so writing he showed himself a true heir of the Reformers. For his statement is no more, just as it is no less, than a straightforward spelling out of what Luther had meant when he called justification by faith articulus stantis aut cadentis ecclesiae-the point of belief which determines (not politically or financially, but theologically and spiritually) whether the Church stands or falls.

With Luther, the Reformers saw all Scripture as being, in the last analysis, either law or gospel—meaning by “law” all that exposes our ruin through sin and by “gospel” everything that displays our restoration by grace through faith—and the heart of the biblical gospel was to them God’s free gift of righteousness and justification. Here was the sum and substance of that sola fide—sola gratia—solo Christo—Sola Scriptura—soli Deo gloria which was the sustained theme of their proclamation, polemics, praises and prayers. And to their minds (note well!) proclamation, polemics, praise, and prayer belonged together, just as did the five Latin slogans linked above as epitomizing their message. Justification by faith, by grace, by Christ, through Scripture, to the glory of God was to them a single topic, just as a fugue with several voices is a single piece. This justification was to them not theological speculation but a religious reality, apprehended through prayer by revelation from God via the Bible. It was a gift given as part of God’s total work of love in saving us, a work which leads us to know God and ourselves as both really are—something which the unbelieving world does not know. And to declare and defend God’s justification publicly as the only way of life for any man was at once an act of confessing their faith, of glorifying their God by proclaiming his wonderful work, and of urging others to approach him in penitent and hopeful trust just as they did themselves.

So, where Rome had taught a piecemeal salvation, to be gained by stages through working a sacramental treadmill, the Reformers now proclaimed a unitary salvation, to be received in its entirety here and now by self-abandoning faith in God’s promise, and in the God and the Christ of that promise, as set forth in the pages of the Bible. Thus the rediscovery of the gospel brought a rediscovery of evangelism, the task of summoning non-believers to faith. Rome had said, God’s grace is great, for through Christ’s cross and his Church salvation is possible for all who will work and suffer for it; so come to church, and toil! But the Reformers said, God’s grace is greater, for through Christ’s cross and his Spirit salvation, full and free, with its unlimited guarantee of eternal joy, is given once and forever to all who believe; so come to Christ, and trust and take!

Saved by grace or works? Ephesians 2:8-9 Commentary

Saved by grace or works?
When we receive the forgiveness of sins our spirit is saved—that is the beginning of our faith. But Peter writes about the end of our faith, the salvation of our soul.
Written by Tom Harris

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.Ephesians 2:8-9.

Grace for forgiveness
We can see this in the case of the thief who died on the cross together with Jesus. He turned to Jesus and Jesus received him saying: “Today you will be with Me in Paradise”. Luke 23:43. His sins were forgiven and he was able to go with Jesus into Paradise. He received the forgiveness of sins by grace, even though he had absolutely no works to boast of.

But there is more to salvation than just receiving the forgiveness of sins. Paul writes in Romans 5:10 that after being reconciled to God through Jesus’ death, much more we will be saved through His life. What does it mean to be saved through His life?

Grace means power to do God’s will
After we have received the forgiveness of sins and come to faith in Jesus we are able to receive His Spirit. That means we have received the power (grace) we need to do the will of God, just as Jesus did. But then we must deny our own will, according to the fleshSin is anything that goes against God’s will and His laws. To commit sin is to transgress or disobey these laws. The lust to sin dwells in human nature. In other words, it is contaminated and motivated by the sinful tendencies that dwell in all people as a result of the fall into sin and disobedience in the garden of Eden. This... More. When we do this, we lose our life according to the flesh, but gain a new life according to the Spirit. This is what Jesus speaks about in Luke 9:23,24:

“Then He said to them all, ‘If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.’”

In this way a transformationThis is the process of sanctification, in which we our sinful human nature is gradually exchanged for divine nature when we in obedience to God’s will deny and put to death the sinful lusts in our flesh. (Romans 12:2; 2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Peter 1:3-4)... More takes place. Our arrogance is being replaced by humility, our hardness by mercy, our impatience by patience etc. Our own works are replaced by God’s works. This is much more than just receiving the forgiveness of sins. So we see it is by doing the will of God that we partake of this “much more” salvation.
Good God I still can't figure it out

Forum List

Back