My graveside encounter with President Obama

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
ny_daily_news_logo.jpg

My solemn meeting on Veterans Day with President Obama at my friend's resting place in Arlington

BY James Gordon Meek
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 4:00 AM

amd_cemetary_obama.jpg

ARLINGTON, Va. - He didn't introduce himself. He didn't have to.

President Obama simply stuck out his hand and asked for my name as he stepped toward me amid a bone-chilling drizzle in the Gardens of Stone.

This was Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery. I wasn't there as a reporter, but to visit some friends and family buried there when Obama made an unscheduled stop - a rare presidential walk among what Lincoln called America's "honored dead" - after laying a Veterans Day wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

What I got was an unexpected look into the eyes of a man who intertwined his roles as commander in chief and consoler in chief on a solemn day filled with remembrance and respect for sacrifices made - and sacrifices yet to be made.

I'm sure the cynics will assume this wasjust another Obama photo-op.

If they'd been standing in my boots looking him in the eye, they would have surely choked on their bile.

His presence in Section 60 convinced me that he now carries the heavy burden of command.

Obama arrived just before noon at the serene Section 60, where many of the dead from Iraq and Afghanistan are buried together - and where many more heroes will undoubtedly be laid to rest before this President leaves office.

It's a section typically bustling with those visiting loved ones. Every time I go there, more and more graves have been dug into the earth.

The President and First Lady Michelle Obama emerged from their armored limousine hatless in the frigid downpour and took a slow stroll into the soggy rows of white marble headstones.

They stopped first at the grave of Medal of Honor recipient Ross McGinnis, an Army private who threw himself on a grenade in Iraq three years ago to save four buddies.

A sad-faced woman reached for Obama's hand and pointed him to a nearby plot.

The face of another woman - who had grimly sat in a folding chair for hours next to a headstone she'd arranged flowers around - suddenly broadened into a smile as she stood to embrace Obama and thank him for paying his respects.

She was so overcome with emotion that a soldier from the Army's Old Guard had to console her afterward.

The President patted backs of adozen other Gold Star relativesand troops visiting buddiesnow in the ground.

He gave hugs. He shook wet, chilly hands. He wanted to know something about each fallen warrior.

Read more: My solemn meeting on Veterans Day with President Obama at my friend's resting place in Arlington

Hagiography - sappy sentimental sickening crap.

Obama couldn't care less about our men and women in uniform. While he is playing political games to placate his far left lunatic base, his inaction is allowing our forces to die in Afghanistan. Yet somehow, after reading this story, we are supposed to suspend reality and believe that "he really cares". He cares about one thing - his leftist agenda. I wish I ran into him, I'd have given him a "dope slap".

Obama couldn't care less about our men and women in uniform. While he is playing political games to placate his far left lunatic base, his inaction is allowing our forces to die in Afghanistan. Yet somehow, after reading this story, we are supposed to suspend reality and believe that "he really cares". He cares about one thing - his leftist agenda. I wish I ran into him, I'd have given him a "dope slap".

You know Zander, you state that YOU KNOW a person's intentions, sincerity and empathy are disingenuous and contrived...but another person can only make assumptions about someone else...because you are not that person...so THAT judgment can only be arrived at by revealing the intentions, sincerity and empathy of YOU...

I understand that Bill Clinton was very personable. He also was a liar and an adulterer who did nothing as president - even the economic prosperity of the 90's was the result of technical innovation (the internet boom), not his policies.

Obama is a human being, so he has human characteristics, including some amount of empathy. He must have personal charisma, for that is a trait common to successful politicians. But, and this is a major reservation, his policies are not proving successful and like a dogmatic believer he gives no appearance that he intends to change them.

So yes, he probably did feel something for the losses of the people he encountered at Arlington Cemetery. Perhaps he is wracked by guilt over the lives lost since he took office. But if so, he is allowing his guilt to cloud his judgment, hesitating to make calls, because no matter what he decides someone will die because of them.

He sought the job he has.
He needs to do it.

You know Zander, you state that YOU KNOW a person's intentions, sincerity and empathy are disingenuous and contrived...but another person can only make assumptions about someone else...because you are not that person...so THAT judgment can only be arrived at by revealing the intentions, sincerity and empathy of YOU...

You can shitcan the pop psychology, I judge Obama by what he DOES, not what he says or by what someone else thinks he feels, or by the glean in his eye as he tears up in the cemetery (boo fucking hoo). I judge him the way I judge anyone, by his deeds and actions. It is what a person does that matters. Talk is cheap.

What the fuck is your problem?

I talked to a couple of guys stationed at Fort Hood, they claimed that most of them couldn't give a shit if the Fake In Chief showed up for the Memorial service, they were all much more impressed with George W. and Laura Bush coming to visit the injured and the rest of them. No cameras, just the sincerity of a former Commander In Chief who actually cared enough to visit them.

Obama was at Arlington because his handlers told him to be there, he probably didn't have a clue where he was. I wonder what kind of bling that he had to promise Michelle to go with him.

Personally, I think Obama is an intelligent and sincere man on basic convictions. Indeed I think part of his hesitance to send more troops to Afghanistan is because he does not want to see more Americans killed. (I disagree with him on this subject, in war often you have to be cruel to be kind.)

As for Clinton, a man I voted for twice by the way, I have a different feeling.

I met him once, briefly. I was in the US Navy stationed in London. We got word the President was going to fly into Hyde Park by Helicopter and they do a walk about, anyone who wanted to get off work and meet their Commander In Chief could go. I went.

After a long wait the helicopter landed, and President Clinton and Senator elect Hilary Clinton emerged and moved toward the roped off crowd. This was on the day the Supreme Court ruled there would be no more Florida recounts after the 2000 Presidential election.

Bill was moving away from our side of the crowd so I yelled out congratulations Senator Clinton and they laughed and moved toward our side.

Bill came right into the crowd (Hilary did not, she is not a natural politician) and he spoke to almost everyone, and he was loving it you could tell, he really wanted to speak to as many people as he could. Anyway when I spoke to him instead of being intelligent enough to ask him about the Supreme Court decision, or why Al Gore did not use him during the campaign I told him I lived in Arkansas for a long time. He smiled and asked where and I said Hot Springs, and then I mentioned McClards BBQ, some of the best in the South and he laughed and agreed.

He was genial, charsimatic, looking me in the eye.

Then he asked me why I was in London and I told him I was in the military.
His face turned to stone and he went on automatic pilot. He looked away and then said “Thank you for serving”, his voice became like a recording, and then fled to the next person.

Until that time I knew Clinton and the military had some difficulties, but I thought he really did not have a chip on his shoulder about the institution and his younger years of draft dodging, I could be wrong, but if you saw the look I saw on his face, you would think, like me, that is a chip that just won’t go away.

Last edited:

You can shitcan the pop psychology, I judge Obama by what he DOES, not what he says or by what someone else thinks he feels, or by the glean in his eye as he tears up in the cemetery (boo fucking hoo). I judge him the way I judge anyone, by his deeds and actions. It is what a person does that matters. Talk is cheap.

It's not pop psychology...it is fact... there's even a truism, axiom that puts it in the realm of common sense...

"It takes one, to know one"...

Personally, I think Obama is an intelligent and sincere man on basic convictions. Indeed I think part of his hesitance to send more troops to Afghanistan is because he does not want to see more Americans killed. (I disagree with him on this subject, in war often you have to be cruel to be kind.)

As for Clinton, a man I voted for twice by the way, I have a different feeling.

I met him once, briefly. I was in the US Navy stationed in London. We got word the President was going to fly into Hyde Park by Helicopter and they do a walk about, anyone who wanted to get off work and meet their Commander In Chief could go. I went.

After a long wait the helicopter landed, and President Clinton and Senator elect Hilary Clinton emerged and moved toward the roped off crowd. This was on the day the Supreme Court ruled there would be no more Florida recounts after the 2000 Presidential election.

Bill was moving away from our side of the crowd so I yelled out congratulations Senator Clinton and they laughed and moved toward our side.

Bill came right into the crowd (Hilary did not, she is not a natural politician) and he spoke to almost everyone, and he was loving it you could tell, he really wanted to speak to as many people as he could. Anyway when I spoke to him instead of being intelligent enough to ask him about the Supreme Court decision, or why Al Gore did not use him during the campaign I told him I lived in Arkansas for a long time. He smiled and asked where and I said Hot Springs, and then I mentioned McClards BBQ, some of the best in the South and he laughed and agreed.

He was genial, charsimatic, looking me in the eye.

Then he asked me why I was in London and I told him I was in the military.
His face turned to stone and he went on automatic pilot. He looked away and then said “Thank you for serving”, his voice became like a recording, and then fled to the next person.

Until that time I knew Clinton and the military had some difficulties, but I thought he really did not have a chip on his shoulder about the institution and his younger years of draft dodging, I could be wrong, but if you saw the look I saw on his face, you would think, like me, that is a chip that just won’t go away.

My brother met George Bush. Said he was really nice, sat down with the guys and just hung out. He said he was funny, articulate and spent a lot of his time listening to them instead of talking at them as is the case with some politicians he's come across.

That was a very good read. And after I read it and then read the remainder of the thread a couple of things occurred to me. One was that when your head of state is an elected politician he or she is going to get this sort of criticism whatever he or she does. The second thought is that perhaps some things which are done by the elected head of state should not be subject to politicisation.

That was a very good read. And after I read it and then read the remainder of the thread a couple of things occurred to me. One was that when your head of state is an elected politician he or she is going to get this sort of criticism whatever he or she does. The second thought is that perhaps some things which are done by the elected head of state should not be subject to politicisation.

A very good point. The poor President has to be head of state and a paticular political party point of view.

I take it Dio you do not want an Australian Republic?

Last edited:

A very good point. The poor President has to be head of state and a paticular political party point of view.

I take it Di you do not want an Australian Republic?

No JW I would like us to be a republic. I tried to follow the public debate on the issue when it was bubbling along but I got stuck between the elected by general franchise or elected by parliament options. I couldn't make my mind up, but John Howard fixed that when he scuttled the whole damn thing. Thanks partially to this thread I'm thinking a parliamentary election of a president might not be a bad thing.

I wasn't living in Australia at the time of the Republic referendum so can not comment on the nature of the debate.

Rudd recently said he will not touch it (pre-election at least).

Personally I do not think a Republic would be too much of a psychological stretch in Australia as the Queen is not an active representative of our state (not a fault of hers, she can't be) and the Gov Generals are usually just ignored by most of the people I meet.

I think I would go not for a President but an elected Australian Head of State, with no legislative power, or involvement with Parliament either from nomination or voting, but rather from a direct popular election.

So any person who could get a certain amount of petition signatures could run and then there would be a direct election.

And this would result in Australian Head of State David Kosch.

Last edited:

Right. It is crystal clear he does not give a shit.

I wasn't living in Australia at the time of the Republic referendum so can not comment on the nature of the debate.

Rudd recently said he will not touch it (pre-election at least).

Personally I do not think a Republic would be too much of a psychological stretch in Australia as the Queen is not an active representative of our state (not a fault of hers, she can't be) and the Gov Generals are usually just ignored by most of the people I meet.

I think I would go not for a President but an elected Australian Head of State, with no legislative power, or involvement with Parliament either from nomination or voting, but rather from a direct popular election.

So any person who could get a certain amount of petition signatures could run and then there would be a direct election.

And this would result in Australian Head of State David Kosch.

I was reading along nicely and then I got to.............:eek:

Koch gaffe sours 7 blitz | The Daily Telegraph

But I'm pretty sure David is Jewish - naughty him having a sense of humour eh?

Last edited:

From Zander.

Remember when Iraq was invaded? And then it was occupied? That was after the Afghanistan mission. Remember that? Remember how many stories were trotted out to explain why Iraq had to be invaded and occupied? And do you remember why Afghanistan was invaded?

You have to realise something. The military is a tool of foreign policy, for any nation. Probably the worst example of abuse of the trust that the military puts in its civilian controllers is the British in WWI. Even BushCheney couldn't get to those depths and your figuring Obama into a similar category to BushCheney is plainly ridiculous.

Forum List

Back