My good deed for the day!

ladyzac

Nov 20, 2003
Pinkyville USA
Hi you guys! I had this email forwarded to me by another friend and my heart just went out to this lady whose mother is dying and needs some help! I emailed her first to see if this was a joke, but it isn't. I just gave her a buck, I thought told her I would let others know in case someone wanted to help out too. No pressure, but hey...a dollar can go a long way!

peace out!...Ana

"Helping others is perhaps the greatest joy! You cannot have a perfect day without helping others with no thought of getting something in return". - John Wooden

Here's her letter she wrote:

Hello,
I am really embarrassed of putting out this letter, but I don't know what else to do and I really need your help. I don't know where to start but by saying that I need to save my mom. Her health has been an issue for years and recently she has worsened and I am really scared of losing her. I apologize for sounding desperate, but I can't help her alone. She's over weight and has a hard time walking, she cries all the time from her body aches and it hurts me and my family to see her suffering so much, especially since she still works. We work to barely make ends meet everymonth in jobs that don't provide medical care and we can't afford to get any. I have tried sending out letters for govenment grants or other agencies that can help her but nothing has came of it. I don't even know if she needs an operation and if she does, then I know we will be facing even tougher times. Please, if you or anyone is willing to make any type of monetary gift to help my mom, you can send it via Paypal. If you aren't able to help, I completely understand but if you could just keep her in your prayers or just to help pass this to others that might want to help, it will be more than appreciated by our family.

Thanks and God Bless...Samantha

email: [email protected]

I would think if this was for real they wouldn't have used a hotmail address. Did you receive this unsolicited, or is the original writer someone you know?

Originally posted by jimnyc
I would think if this was for real they wouldn't have used a hotmail address. Did you receive this unsolicited, or is the original writer someone you know?
I had the same thought.

As sad as this email may sound, it is turning out that most of this is a hoax. I just got another the other day in regards to a missing child and one dying, both in the same location. I had already received the missing one a year ago, and it's still floating around the net. I too wouldn't mind sending money, had it been real. Just a shame that some people will use children too to gain some money!

This reeks of spam.

The opening line enough is reason to doubt.. "I had this forwarded to me by a friend".

Not only does she not even list a reason for her mother's sickness, but that she can "barely walk" yet is "still working". I dont understand how and when the mother went from "overweight and unable to walk" to "dying", especially without seeing a doctor.

Nope... I''ll keep my buck and donate it to someone who I know isnt going to spend it on ebay.

Well, I got this from a friend and I guess she got it from someone else, but I didn't ask her if she knew the person. That's why I sent the email to her directly. I don't know if this is a scam? I guess I am a sucker for these kinds of things. :huh: I always see tramps on the streets and there have been times where I get buy them food rather than give them money. Whether or not they are lying, I know my intentions are good. :)

seems there is always someone trying to take advantage of the good will of others.....dont let the bad ones ruin your good intentions...was well meant:)

Thanks Jon! I kinda feel like an Urkel. I guess I should have just told her I'd keep her in my prayers and kept my buck huh? :(

ladyzac, your right, whether scarm or not, your heart was in the right place! so it is still a good deed in others eyes.

Originally posted by ladyzac
Thanks Jon! I kinda feel like an Urkel. I guess I should have just told her I'd keep her in my prayers and kept my buck huh? :(
Let me tell you a little story. When I first moved to NY from VA in 1988 I took a train 2 hours into the city for my job. I worked from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and then took a 20 minute subway ride to law school at night. I stayed in the library afterwards. Usually, I took a 15 minute subway ride and then a 2 hour train ride home at about 1 a.m. Turned around did it again. Every day in the subway on my way to school at night I would see this woman and her infant in a carriage. She sat there with a sign that said "homeless with child" "please help...hungry" or whatever. The signs varied. Every payday I would give her $10 bucks. Even though I was paying for my commute, school, books, etc. I kept thinking of that poor woman. $10 bucks to me didn't mean I wouldn't eat that night. This went on for almost 9 mos. The baby was always there. My colleagues and fellow students called me all kinds of names for being so sappy.

One day as I was walking in to the subway station, there were ambulances and cop cars everywhere. As I kept going underground I heard the commotion...kept walking. Passed the woman, her child and the gaggle of cops/EMS and gawkers. Hanging from her arm was a heroin needle and there was blood everywhere. The kid was screaming his head off and his mother shot heroin and died right next to him in a subway station.

I tell you this not so you will think that I no longer gave...I still do. Every payday for years I gave $10. Nothing will ever stifle my impulse to help people. But I now make my donations through a scholarship fund or through a recognized organization.

I just can't help it sometimes you know? I must have been the biggest wuss in the military, who trusted anyone. I've even given hitchhikers rides before. I had a real bad experience one night and I don't do that anymore, but I can't help but thinking that could be someone's son, father, etc. who maybe served our country and now they have nothing and are hoping for a break. My husband gets upset and says I help people too much and just get hurt in the end.

Originally posted by ladyzac
I just can't help it sometimes you know? I must have been the biggest wuss in the military, who trusted anyone. I've even given hitchhikers rides before. I had a real bad experience one night and I don't do that anymore, but I can't help but thinking that could be someone's son, father, etc. who maybe served our country and now they have nothing and are hoping for a break. My husband gets upset and says I help people too much and just get hurt in the end.
Well that is why I decided to support scholarships...everyone benefits from education. I also mentor young people and donate to environmental causes...that way I think everyone wins not just a certain segment of society. We all have to do what makes us proud to look in the mirror. If it makes you happy to help, more power to you. I wish you safety in your endeavors though. Missing money is one thing, missing life is entirely another.

Forum List

Back