My God, I didn't realize education was on the chopping block in Texas....

But public school budgets are a state level concern, hence texas. And I never said on the line, I said on the chopping block which means it is what the legislature is cutting to get the budget in order.

Our schools are losing PE and a few other 'unimportant' programs this year, because of the Cal budget crisis. It's supposed to get worse. I didn't realize texas had the same problems. I would be pretty pissed if my kids teacher was sacked in the middle of class.

The Dallas ISD screwed up royally. It was about a 1-2 months into the budget year when it discovered that they had more expenses then originally thought.

The budget short-fall had nothing to do with Texas or the nation. The Dallas ISD some how, some way miscalculated its expenses.Dallas ISD Facing $64 Million Budget Deficit

“The lack of adequate systemic financial controls and the District's inability to reconcile accounts, input budget data, and control staff allocations created this deficit,” said Hinojosa. “This is totally unacceptable.”

The finance department will now report directly to Chief of Staff Arnold Viramontes. Viramontes has been directed to create a plan and make recommendations to the board to begin reducing costs for the 2008-09 school year. All options are on the table.

"Importantly, when the 2007-2008 books were closed, the District non-payroll related budgets were almost even and balanced,” said Hinojosa. “It was the unbudgeted payroll costs that produced the lion's share of the current deficit.”

Last edited:

Forum List

Back