My God, I didn't realize education was on the chopping block in Texas....

Caligirl

Oh yes it is too!
Aug 25, 2008
Campus by campus, hundreds of Dallas teachers learned their fate Thursday in whatever manner their principals saw fit. Some retained a small measure of dignity; others were forced to clean out their desks in front of stunned students.

The layoffs were expected at the end of the day but some teachers reported getting the news as early as first period. At Pinkston High School, drafting teacher Tom Warner, 45, was called out of class, fired, and sent back to pack his belongings as students looked on.

Dallas district fires 375 teachers | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

I am sorry to say Cali with our recent budget shortfall here in Az. I put in a thread on this , this morning, we may be facing the same thing here. Here that have been talkng about cutting back police and fire and laying off teachers, as well as cutting off some public transportation. We found out that Arizona is number two in the Nation recently in it's budget crisis. Great news isn't it.

I am sorry to say Cali with our recent budget shortfall here in Az. I put in a thread on this , this morning, we may be facing the same thing here. Here that have been talkng about cutting back police and fire and laying off teachers, as well as cutting off some public transportation. We found out that Arizona is number two in the Nation recently in it's budget crisis. Great news isn't it.

Very Scary...especially if you're me....:eusa_shifty:

Dallas is not "Texas," and cutbacks in teachers does not mean "education is on the line."

Let's keep the sensationalism to a mild roar, huh?

They've closed some schools here in San Antonio, and opened some new ones. When you think about it, the schools being closed in old neighborhoods and opened in new neighborhoods kind of goes along with the ages of the people living in those neighborhoods.

But public school budgets are a state level concern, hence texas. And I never said on the line, I said on the chopping block which means it is what the legislature is cutting to get the budget in order.

Our schools are losing PE and a few other 'unimportant' programs this year, because of the Cal budget crisis. It's supposed to get worse. I didn't realize texas had the same problems. I would be pretty pissed if my kids teacher was sacked in the middle of class.

We don't need educated children.

We need to borrow $700 billion dollars from China to occupy Iraq and fight the "war on terror."

We don't need educated children.

We need to borrow $700 billion dollars from China to occupy Iraq and fight the "war on terror."

That money wouldn't have made kids more intelligent anyway. It would have been wasted one way or another.

That money wouldn't have made kids more intelligent anyway. It would have been wasted one way or another.

It would not have been wasted because it would not have been borrowed.

George Bush has almost destroyed America.

It is time for him and his war loving cronies to leave.

It would not have been wasted because it would not have been borrowed.

George Bush has almost destroyed America.

It is time for him and his war loving cronies to leave.

...and usher in the new ones.

Throwing cash at a problem rarely solves it.

Of course I am a problem you may feel free to throw cash at and it will solve it since there is an exception to every rule.

In 1978, back when I was just starting out as an edcuator in Massachusetts, thanks to the taxpayers' revolt the state couldn't continue to pay for education.

The state fired 25% of its teachers that year. People with 8 or 9 years in service were let go.

We're going to see a LOT of this if the economy doesn't turn around, folks.

The STates are in worse trouble than the Feds because the (most? All?) states HAVE to balance their budgets every year.

Expect to see teachers, cops, prison guards, social services all being cut.

The Neo-cons have been planning and working on "STAVING THE BEAST" for decades.

Their plans are coming to fruition now.

The beast incidently, is the democratic republican forms of government we've enjoyed for the last 200+ years.

The Neo-Cons leadership hates anything that challenges their domination of this society by private monied interests.

they hate social security, public education, social welfare, public roads, in short they basically hate anything EXCEPT POLICE POWERS.

Those, you can pretty much expect to be the last things that are cut before the lights of civilization are turned off.

Count on THAT.

Florida is having the same problems, budgets are cut to the bone. There was talk amongst our brilliant Republican leadership to fund schools strictly from sales tax instead of property tax. What a stupid idea that turned out to be.

Florida is having the same problems, budgets are cut to the bone. There was talk amongst our brilliant Republican leadership to fund schools strictly from sales tax instead of property tax. What a stupid idea that turned out to be.

stupid politicians, i'm stunned.

MANY moons ago, Florida passed the Lottery...LOTTO and THIS was suppose to pay for education....wonder what happened to that? did they just lie to us to get lotto passed?

care

In 1978, back when I was just starting out as an edcuator in Massachusetts, thanks to the taxpayers' revolt the state couldn't continue to pay for education.

The state fired 25% of its teachers that year. People with 8 or 9 years in service were let go.

We're going to see a LOT of this if the economy doesn't turn around, folks.

The STates are in worse trouble than the Feds because the (most? All?) states HAVE to balance their budgets every year.

Expect to see teachers, cops, prison guards, social services all being cut.

The Neo-cons have been planning and working on "STAVING THE BEAST" for decades.

Their plans are coming to fruition now.

The beast incidently, is the democratic republican forms of government we've enjoyed for the last 200+ years.

The Neo-Cons leadership hates anything that challenges their domination of this society by private monied interests.

they hate social security, public education, social welfare, public roads, in short they basically hate anything EXCEPT POLICE POWERS.

Those, you can pretty much expect to be the last things that are cut before the lights of civilization are turned off.

Count on THAT.

what taxpayer revolt? there was no taxpayer revolt in 1978

MANY moons ago, Florida passed the Lottery...LOTTO and THIS was suppose to pay for education....wonder what happened to that? did they just lie to us to get lotto passed?

care
No, some of the money does go to education but it is nowhere near enough to fund then entire budget and it was never meant to do so.

No, some of the money does go to education but it is nowhere near enough to fund then entire budget and it was never meant to do so.

gotcha! just read it is about 7.5% of the total education budget, and lotto sales are down due to high gas prices...

I think the proposition to freeze taxes probably happened in 77.

The firings happened in 78.

prop 2 1/2 passed in 1980. boston was in bad financial trouble before that over property taxes, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

i know there were a lot of layoffs in boston that year.

Forum List

Back