My geneaology

It was a couple of days ago I was talking to folks about how I was one quarter Cherokee (according to my grandfather), but after getting some DNA tests back a couple of days ago, it seems he lied not only to my father, but in turn caused him to lie to my grandmother and I. So it appears I am Irish, British, German and Polish. Still cool. Now if only I could find out who my ancestors were, that'd be great.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Ancestor.com I traced mine back to England, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, and Normandy. Most of mine came to "the new world" in early 1600's. Names = Stewart, Dorset, DeMilt, Delanoy, May, Murray, McBride, and Chick. Many of the females were lost because only the "Head Of Household" was named in early Census.

It was a couple of days ago I was talking to folks about how I was one quarter Cherokee (according to my grandfather), but after getting some DNA tests back a couple of days ago, it seems he lied not only to my father, but in turn caused him to lie to my grandmother and I. So it appears I am Irish, British, German and Polish. Still cool. Now if only I could find out who my ancestors were, that'd be great.

Actually that test proves nothing

Indians are a cline of European being predominant in the East and Asian in the West. But the DNA baseline for this pre-historic mixture was established at the four corners area of the southwest with the western band of the Cherokee excluded.

The tribal name of the Cherokee is the native pronunciation of what the Greeks and Romans pronounced as Cilicia, a place in modern day Turkey. Since most Mediterranean colonies, most famously Sicily, of Cilicia also took the name of their homeland and pre-BC Punic archeological finds in TN the original homeland of the Cherokee, support this thesis. A Punic admixture should have showed up in your Y chromosome and also a larger fraction of anomalous East Asian ancestry of about 1% in your DNA more generally and 0% Indian ancestry, if you are one-quarter Cherokee .

If you have royal toe and a high arch giving a non-triangular foot you are anthropologically Cherokee. Similar problems crop up with most eastern nations with the notable exception of the Creek who are Uto-Aztec. 23 and Me has a lot of discussions on this subject and many links to post grad dissertations on the subject.

Another problem is degree of washout in two generations. The recommended solution is the testing of as many family members as possible at the same site. With the census bureau classifying three of my great-grandmothers as Indians, presumably Cherokee my response got a lot of feedback.

Last edited:

One nice thing about being Southern is that it usually means you know your geneaology back to your family's arrival in the US and out to at least your third cousins.

Do you have any clues about who your ancestors were?

Florida State has a good genealogy department, lots of information on Southern colonial families.

Ya'll been here a long time, or, just off the boat?

One nice thing about being Southern is that it usually means you know your geneaology back to your family's arrival in the US and out to at least your third cousins.

Things can certainly vary. At Easter dinner we were talking about relatives in Germany, and between 5 of us couldn't come up with anyone living to see when visiting. This with two aunts who lived there - both deceased now. Gerta had kids, but I have no idea what their names were. I can't even go back two generations. Of course the fact that my grandparents fled has a lot to do with it. That Hitler dude had a knack for screwing up families.

Actually that test proves nothing

Indians are a cline of European being predominant in the East and Asian in the West. But the DNA baseline for this pre-historic mixture was established at the four corners area of the southwest with the western band of the Cherokee excluded.

The tribal name of the Cherokee is the native pronunciation of what the Greeks and Romans pronounced as Cilicia, a place in modern day Turkey. Since most Mediterranean colonies, most famously Sicily, of Cilicia also took the name of their homeland and pre-BC Punic archeological finds in TN the original homeland of the Cherokee, support this thesis. A Punic admixture should have showed up in your Y chromosome and also a larger fraction of anomalous East Asian ancestry of about 1% in your DNA more generally and 0% Indian ancestry, if you are one-quarter Cherokee .

If you have royal toe and a high arch giving a non-triangular foot you are anthropologically Cherokee. Similar problems crop up with most eastern nations with the notable exception of the Creek who are Uto-Aztec. 23 and Me has a lot of discussions on this subject and many links to post grad dissertations on the subject.

Another problem is degree of washout in two generations. The recommended solution is the testing of as many family members as possible at the same site. With the census bureau classifying three of my great-grandmothers as Indians, presumably Cherokee my response got a lot of feedback.

One branch of my family split off, in Tennessee in the 1740's, and became Chereokee, and the last name survives among the Cherokee.

Things can certainly vary. At Easter dinner we were talking about relatives in Germany, and between 5 of us couldn't come up with anyone living to see when visiting. This with two aunts who lived there - both deceased now. Gerta had kids, but I have no idea what their names were. I can't even go back two generations. Of course the fact that my grandparents fled has a lot to do with it. That Hitler dude had a knack for screwing up families.

Well, my family's been in this country for centuries on both sides, so I couldn't tell you anything about distant relatives in Europe, because they'd be distant enough to be basically unrelated.

Family back East, now . . .

Florida State has a good genealogy department, lots of information on Southern colonial families.

I've lived here all my life, born and raised. My grandmother was born here in GA, my biological mother in New York, my father in North Carolina. I was born in GA also.

I've lived here all my life, born and raised. My grandmother was born here in GA, my biological mother in New York, my father in North Carolina. I was born in GA also.
Well, to do a Georgia genealogy should not be too hard; they've kept pretty good records.

Florida State, online services, is where I would start, using my last name, and work on that line first.

I was lucky, had genealogy enthusiasts on both sides.

I got it all in books, free.

Ancestor.com type things want your money, and, repress information to get it.

Do you have a copy of your grandfather's death certificate? It should list who is parents were. That information is only as good as who was reporting the information. Depending on when he was born then you should be able to get a copy of his birth certificate. That will list his parents names. Work backwards but verify every stinking little vital fact.

Take his date of death and, if that is in Georgia, locate a library that houses newspapers on microfiche/microfilm and run through the month after he died to look for an obituary. Sometimes libraries will look it up for you and charge 15 cents a copy plus postage. Wonderful if he died in another state. Obituaries cost cash to print so sometimes they don't exist. Obituaries will sometimes mention the family members still living and the deaths of the parents, where they moved from and how long they lived there and other little clues--if you get lucky.

Don't feel bad as your grandfather may have been giving out information that was handed down to him.

The census can sometimes be your best friend. I just spent an agonizing several months untangling two civil war vets with the same name. The problem with Ancestry and the like are that very few people go through the verification (death certificates, funeral home records, blah) and copy off of each other. So, inaccuracies just get passed on.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back