My feelings about the USA

A

Amras

I was born in Luxembourg, a small prosperous country in the middle of Europe, the GDP per capita is extremely high, higher than in the US itself. I am half german half luxembourgish and I wouldn't be astonished if 1 out of 2 americans couldn't locate my country on a map. Yet, the US has shaped the fate of my country.

During WWII, Nazigermany was convinced that we were just a german province. If the US had not decided to fight the Naziterror among their allies, I would have either grown up in a nazi or stalinistic country, given the youth that I had, I will have to thank you for that.
My grandfather lived in the north of the country. When I was a child, we always drove past the Patton monument to get to my grandfathers house. I was in 4th grade, that was in 1988, when a group of american veterans came to visit the place where they fought during World War II. We were assigned to paint a picture for them, I decided to paint a few tanks, which had american flags on their roof. I didn't speak English at that time, but I wrote two lines: "Pattons tanks, tank you". One american veteran was very touched by my image and took it back to the US. A few weeks later I got a letter with a few photos, I could see what the man looked like in his youth and the shape of his tank. I still have them somewhere, those aren't things that I would throw away.
It took a few years till I realized what kind of an impression my image had to make on a 70 year old man.

Street names in Luxembourg are usually french, we speak both french and german, the street next to mine was/is called "Rue J.F.Kennedy". There is an Eisenhower boulevard in the capital and there is an american cemetery with nameless white crosses outside of it. There are a lot of those crosses, but even as a child I realized what they meant. At that period, psychological tests were done at my ground school, during one test, we had to paint pictures again, I was quite bored, so I imagined a place where I wanted to go. I drew skyscrapers, I wanted to draw New York, those huge buildings that I had seen on TV. It took another 9 years till I could visit that place. I was amazed, there is so much life in that city, I've seen New York by night from the Empire State Building and during the day from the top of the WTC. In 1999, I spend two more great weeks in your country.

The other country where I really feel at home is Germany, being the fiercest enemy that the US has fought so far, it is interesting to see how the US dealed with the vanquished, while the eastern part of the country fell under the control of Soviet Union and the Iron Curtain divided Europe, the US gave the western part of the country it's dignity back. The efforts to starve West Berlin out were in vain, transporters flew from West Germany to Berlin, there was even one crazy american officer, which had this mad idea to drop chocolate attached to little parachutes over berlin. His superior identified his crazyness but let him proceed with his plan and it was huge success. The chocolate and more important the food in genereal that was transported to Berlin was the root for german-american friendship.

The US finally lost it's innocence during the cold war, where both sides did things that are morally questionable. Given it's power, the troubles of the world have become part of americas reality. If I look at america today. I see 280m individuals which give america many different faces, I admire a few, I like a lot , I find some aspects mysterious and some are not so beautiful.

The image of the US is deteriorating a bit, some may wonder why I post this. Americans heard a lot of reasons why other people don't like you anymore, I just wanted to share my personal life experience concerning the US. I lost some faith in americas political class (dems and reps), however I will not lose my faith in america that easily.

An excellent post, Amras. I really enjoyed reading that one.

You're right, the Germans were outstanding warriors. They were tough as nails and the outcome of the war was by no means clear in 1941... there was a very real possibility that Germany, Japan & Italy would win the war.

Our political system is flawed, there's no getting around it - I have yet to see any that isn't. I am a Republican because that organizations' ideals are more in line with my thinking by a far cry than the Democrats. Yeah, there are flaws with the Republicans, but as far as I'm concerned they're the best game in town.

I watched a show on the History Channel about a year ago about the Berlin Airlift & the candy drops. I believe the name for that was "Operation Candyman", that was a smashing success - the West Germans sure appreciated the effort. The Berlin crisis was a very close thing, WWIII almost developed from it. It's fascinating now to look back and see how many times during the Cold War the world teetered on the brink. It appears that it was more than John Q. Public is aware of.

The US finally lost it's innocence during the cold war, where both sides did things that are morally questionable. Given it's power, the troubles of the world have become part of americas reality. If I look at america today. I see 280m individuals which give america many different faces, I admire a few, I like a lot , I find some aspects mysterious and some are not so beautiful.

Agreed. There have been things done in the past by the USA that didn't turn out as planned, and methods implemented that weren't pretty. During the Cold War there were hard decisions to be made & no one had a crystal ball at their fingertips... I'd have to say that things turned out better than anyone could have hoped - no nuclear holocaust & the Soviet Union collapsing and abandoning Communism peacefully.

I'd be interested to see your pictures you spoke of, do you have them scanned?

Our political system is flawed, there's no getting around it - I have yet to see any that isn't.

Too true. When I vote, it's usually like a choice between cancer and cholera. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's as simple as that.

I'd be interested to see your pictures you spoke of, do you have them scanned?

I'd love to but I don't have a scanner. :(

Amras, thank you for that post. My mom is from Germany, and was there during WWII, my dad was from Lativa, but was seized by the German army and forced to join them. The reason I share this is that my parents came here right after the war, in fact they came on an American troop transport ship, and instilled in me a love for this country. They taught me to appreciate our freedoms and our system of government. Now neither they nor I am naive, we realize that America is not without fault, as you pointed out. To deny this would be a disservice to our nation. It just bothers me when people here constantly do nothing more than put this country down, not creative nor constructive criticism, just complaints. They have lived here all their lives, enjoyed the many benifits offered, and act like spoiled children. I do not know if this is because they may not be as successful as they had hoped, they are just troublemakers, or have just too much time on their hands. It is good to see a balanced view come from someone not labeled as a flag waving neocon.

Thanks Again

Eric :)

Great posts! So, you have German in you ha eric???

Sind ah, Sie deutsch, Sie die Sprache sprechen?
think that's how it goes! ;)

Yes I am German, actually German & Latvian, I used to speak English and German when I was younger. Then as the teenage years came I spoke less and less till much of it slipped away. Something I regret today, stupid teenager, but I still remember some though, enough to get by.

Sind ah, Sie deutsch, Sie die Sprache sprechen?

By the way, thats not how it goes, you asked me:

Are you German, do you the language speak?

Verb placement can be tricky some times, but a good try ! :)

LOL

Eric

hahahahah, can't say I didn't try! close - but better than that is when I aked my Mom how to say I love you in German and what she told me and what I said, hahahaha, 2 VERY different things!!! and it was quite dirty! :) what a fool I felt there!

You are so full of crap! That is one of the very few things I do remember - but don't think I could come near the proper spelling.
Sounds something like Ich lieber dish.

Really, you don't rememeber Mother when I asked you how to say I love you, back in the certain day in time???? excuse me, but when I did say that, I got a real good laugh when that person told me that was "lick my ass" instead!!! OK!!! now maybe that person was lying, but after hearing the laugh that I did, I wonder!

And you JIM!:finger:

Something about doing donkeys! so up yours! hehe

:D *chillin*

The spelling is correct, work a bit on that grammar

I was born in Luxembourg, a small prosperous country in the middle of Europe, the GDP per capita is extremely high, higher than in the US itself. I am half german half luxembourgish and I wouldn't be astonished if 1 out of 2 americans couldn't locate my country on a map. Yet, the US has shaped the fate of my country.

During WWII, Nazigermany was convinced that we were just a german province. If the US had not decided to fight the Naziterror among their allies, I would have either grown up in a nazi or stalinistic country, given the youth that I had, I will have to thank you for that.
My grandfather lived in the north of the country. When I was a child, we always drove past the Patton monument to get to my grandfathers house. I was in 4th grade, that was in 1988, when a group of american veterans came to visit the place where they fought during World War II. We were assigned to paint a picture for them, I decided to paint a few tanks, which had american flags on their roof. I didn't speak English at that time, but I wrote two lines: "Pattons tanks, tank you". One american veteran was very touched by my image and took it back to the US. A few weeks later I got a letter with a few photos, I could see what the man looked like in his youth and the shape of his tank. I still have them somewhere, those aren't things that I would throw away.
It took a few years till I realized what kind of an impression my image had to make on a 70 year old man.

Street names in Luxembourg are usually french, we speak both french and german, the street next to mine was/is called "Rue J.F.Kennedy". There is an Eisenhower boulevard in the capital and there is an american cemetery with nameless white crosses outside of it. There are a lot of those crosses, but even as a child I realized what they meant. At that period, psychological tests were done at my ground school, during one test, we had to paint pictures again, I was quite bored, so I imagined a place where I wanted to go. I drew skyscrapers, I wanted to draw New York, those huge buildings that I had seen on TV. It took another 9 years till I could visit that place. I was amazed, there is so much life in that city, I've seen New York by night from the Empire State Building and during the day from the top of the WTC. In 1999, I spend two more great weeks in your country.

The other country where I really feel at home is Germany, being the fiercest enemy that the US has fought so far, it is interesting to see how the US dealed with the vanquished, while the eastern part of the country fell under the control of Soviet Union and the Iron Curtain divided Europe, the US gave the western part of the country it's dignity back. The efforts to starve West Berlin out were in vain, transporters flew from West Germany to Berlin, there was even one crazy american officer, which had this mad idea to drop chocolate attached to little parachutes over berlin. His superior identified his crazyness but let him proceed with his plan and it was huge success. The chocolate and more important the food in genereal that was transported to Berlin was the root for german-american friendship.

The image of the US is deteriorating a bit, some may wonder why I post this. Americans heard a lot of reasons why other people don't like you anymore, I just wanted to share my personal life experience concerning the US. I lost some faith in americas political class (dems and reps), however I will not lose my faith in america that easily.

Wait... "luxembourgish"? Really?

Great post, enjoyed reading your perspective. The US lost its innocence when it succumbed to the infection of Foreign Ideas Hostile to American Principle, which began with Wilson, propagated sharply after WW2 and succumbed in the 60s. What we are witnessing today, is the gasping and death throes inevitable prior to her demise.

What comes of the people, will likely be something beyond horrible... The average person in the US is incapable of living free.

Understand that I am speaking of "The United States" which is a place... your faith in the concept: America, is well founded, and Americans will always live free.

Forum List

Back