My favorite actor is Burt Lancaster

Happened upon an old black and white movie the other night...
The Train (1964) - IMDb

In 1944, a German colonel loads a train with French art treasures to send to Germany. The Resistance must stop it without damaging the cargo.

Great flick.
Yeah, Burt's da bomb. :thup:

The Train is my second most favorite Burt Lancaster movie.

I never saw Burt give a bad performance

I also like Gregory Peck from that era

My second most favorite actor is Clark Gable (underrated) and after that Gregory Peck, Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart, Bogart and Spencer Tracey.

My favorite actrreses are Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford.

Last edited:
I like Lancaster in a couple of different movies, but Jimmy Stewart remains one of my favorties for a few reasons, one his acting and the other is for this,

In January 1942 Stewart was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant. He was then sent to Mather
Field in California as a four engine instructor, this included both the B-17 and B-24 heavy
bombers. Much to his dismay, Stewart stayed stateside for almost two years working as a flight
instructor, until commanding officers finally yielded to his request to be sent overseas.
In November 1943, now a Captain and Operations Officer for the 703rd Bomb Squadron, 445th
Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force, he arrived in Tibenham, England. In March of
1944 he was transferred to the 453rd Bombardment Group at Old Buckenham (Old Buc).
Throughout his combat career, Stewart flew as lead pilot in B-24 Liberators.

Stewart’s war record included 20 combat missions as command pilot over enemy territory,
including raids deep into Germany to Berlin
. He didn't fly the milk runs, and his missions
included bombing raids to Berlin, Brunswick, Bremen, Frankfurt, and Schweinfurt. His most
memorable mission, Stewart served as the flight leader of a 1000 plain raid to Berlin. He was
awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Air Medal with three
Oak Leaf Clusters, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm.

James "Jimmy" Maitland Stewart: WWII Bomber Pilot

Not many Actors you can say are the real deal, and he was the real deal.

I like Lancaster in a couple of different movies, but Jimmy Stewart remains one of my favorties for a few reasons, one his acting and the other is for this,

In January 1942 Stewart was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant. He was then sent to Mather
Field in California as a four engine instructor, this included both the B-17 and B-24 heavy
bombers. Much to his dismay, Stewart stayed stateside for almost two years working as a flight
instructor, until commanding officers finally yielded to his request to be sent overseas.
In November 1943, now a Captain and Operations Officer for the 703rd Bomb Squadron, 445th
Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force, he arrived in Tibenham, England. In March of
1944 he was transferred to the 453rd Bombardment Group at Old Buckenham (Old Buc).
Throughout his combat career, Stewart flew as lead pilot in B-24 Liberators.

Stewart’s war record included 20 combat missions as command pilot over enemy territory,
including raids deep into Germany to Berlin
. He didn't fly the milk runs, and his missions
included bombing raids to Berlin, Brunswick, Bremen, Frankfurt, and Schweinfurt. His most
memorable mission, Stewart served as the flight leader of a 1000 plain raid to Berlin. He was
awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Air Medal with three
Oak Leaf Clusters, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm.

James "Jimmy" Maitland Stewart: WWII Bomber Pilot

Not many Actors you can say are the real deal, and he was the real deal.

He also was a big time liberal, along with lancaster.

I have to say that I loved Lancaster. Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart... all of them were good.

But there is a series of films that I just acquired on DVD. Been looking for them forever. Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce in the Sherlock Holmes series. Filmed in the late 30's and the early 40's. I really do like those movies. There are 14 in the series. Might be labeled "B" movies now, but I just love them.

Here is someone else Truth, that some may not know about,

Charles Durning;
Durning served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Drafted at age 21, he was first assigned as a rifleman with the 398th Infantry Regiment, and later served overseas with the 3rd Army Support troops and the 386th Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) Battalion. For his valor and the wounds he received during the war, Durning was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Heart medals.[2]

Durning participated in the Normandy Invasion of France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and was among the first troops to land at Omaha Beach. Some sources state that he was with the 1st Infantry Division at the time, but it is unclear if he served as a rifleman or as a member of one of the division's artillery battalions.[citation needed]

Durning was wounded by a German “S” Mine on June 15, 1944, at Les Mare des Mares, France. He was transported by the 499th Medical Collection Company to the 24th Evacuation Hospital. By June 17 he was back in England at the 217th General Hospital. Although severely wounded by shrapnel in the left and right thighs, the right hand, the frontal region of the head, and the anterior left chest wall, Durning recovered quickly and was determined to be fit for duty on December 6, 1944. He arrived back at the front in time to take part in the Battle of the Bulge, the German counter-offensive through the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg in December 194
Charles Durning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stewart was a staunch supporter of the Republican Party[86] and actively campaigned for Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. He was a "hawk" on the Vietnam War. Following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, Stewart, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas and Gregory Peck issued a statement calling for support of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.

I don't know about that Truth I would call Stewart more of a Eisenhower type Republican or moderate based on todays standards. I know the type well as I tend to fall into that catagory more these day's than often.

I have to say that I loved Lancaster. Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart... all of them were good.

But there is a series of films that I just acquired on DVD. Been looking for them forever. Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce in the Sherlock Holmes series. Filmed in the late 30's and the early 40's. I really do like those movies. There are 14 in the series. Might be labeled "B" movies now, but I just love them.

Hey Air Force, have you ever heard of a movie called Strategic Air Command, it's one of those sappy movies Stewart made during the 50's where he was a B-47 commander, I think I'm one of the few people who actually call that one of my favorites. LOL

My second most favorite actor is Clark Gable (underrated) and after that Gregory Peck, Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart, Bogart and Spencer Tracey.

Cripes!
How old are you??
I don't believe I have even heard of Burt Lancaster, if I have, I have no clue what he has played in ~LoL~
And these other people you mentioned....they are old fogies. Not calling you one.....but I watch none of them......with the excpetion of Jimmy Stewart, and I only saw him in It's A Wonderful Life.

Cripes!
How old are you??
I don't believe I have even heard of Burt Lancaster, if I have, I have no clue what he has played in ~LoL~
And these other people you mentioned....they are old fogies. Not calling you one.....but I watch none of them......with the excpetion of Jimmy Stewart, and I only saw him in It's A Wonderful Life.

Debs, I'm not offended at all, my daughter calls me that all the time, so I happily accept the title lol. That said, take the time to watch some of these old geezers you never know you might like them. Start with this one " From here to Eternity", my daughter in college loves it.

Hey Air Force, have you ever heard of a movie called Strategic Air Command, it's one of those sappy movies Stewart made during the 50's where he was a B-47 commander, I think I'm one of the few people who actually call that one of my favorites. LOL

Damn right I've seen that movie. Stewart was supposed to be a major league baseball pitcher and he gets called up when SAC is created. He starts out flying B-29's, then goes to B-36's, then onto B-47's. Remember when he crashes in Greenland trying to land at Thule in a crippled B-36?

By the way, my brother, who was a lifer, was a crew chief on B-36's in Puerto Rico. Then when the B-47 came out, he became a crew chief on B-47's.

It was one hell of a sappy movie. But I like it too.

Cripes!
How old are you??

Shenandoah was my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie, you ought to check that one out. And if you like John Wayne, and please tell me you've heard of him, the movie he and Stewart made together "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" was really really good.

Forum List

Back