My father asked me to kill him

Hi Right:

Keith Olbermann's 'raw' plea - THE WEEK

"Last Friday night, my father asked me to kill him." So began an impassioned and emotional "special comment" by MSNBC host Keith Olbermann on the eve of the health-care-reform summit. Olbermann used the graphic story of his father's terminal illness both to bash conservative "ghouls" like "Sarah Palin" who warned that Democratic health reform would lead to "death panels," and to make an impassioned plea for a sensible national policy on end-of-life care. Was Olbermann's much-discussed monologue a courageous use of his "raw" personal story, or a "twisted" partisan stunt?

My Aunt Levon (father's side) took me by the hand a family reunion some years ago to inform me that she was going to stop the pain by stopping all food consumption. Two weeks later she passed away in the middle of the night.

The Lesson: When you are ready to cash in the chips, then take the responsibility upon yourself ...

Too easy and nobody else to blame for anything ...

GL,

Terral

That must have been hard to hear. She must have been close to the edge though because otherwise a two-week fast would not likely have done it for her. But you are correct. When there is no hope for recovery and no quality of life, we should be able to deny ourselves whatever is just keeping us alive. If that was the case with your aunt, I probably would not have intervened either. And she is now in a better place.

The problem comes in expecting healthcare providers--those who have taken an oath to do no harm--to take a life just because somebody (or their loved ones) don't want to preserve it anymore. There simply must be some better way to handle the problem than by asked a doctor to provide the ultimate solution. There is always that fine line between a right to die and a duty to die. And if we value the sanctity of life, we have to consider that.

My mother suffered horribly in her last months on Earth, but she did not want to give up. I think she believed she could beat the cancer right up to the very last day when she confided to her sister than she was going to accept the inevitable. That very night she died. But so long as she wanted to keep trying, who among us has the right to tell her that she could not? Had she ever said, however, that she didn't want any more treatment and we should let her go, I would have respected that.

On the other hand a beloved cousin, vigorous, full of life, enjoying life to the fullest, on a recent trip to New Orleans contracted fungal meningitis and within 24 hours she was brain dead. She could have been sustained on life support almost indefinitely, but in accordance with her living will it was easy to decide to pull the plug however hard it was to let her go. We knew she was already gone.

We have to assume such responsibility, however. A doctor should never be put in the position of deciding whether somebody will live or die.

Tort Reform Myths and Facts
Tort Reform Myths and Facts - Online Lawyer Source

In the most unambiguous terms, tort reform hurts the American people by taking away their legal rights to file a claim and receive fair compensation when they have been injured at the hands of another.

With an enormous bankroll and political clout, advocates of tort reform have done an impressive job convincing the American people that a tort reform “crisis” exists. An abundance of evidence indicates there is no crisis. Tort deformers, as consumer advocates call reformers, claim that “frivolous lawsuits” and greedy lawyers are congesting our courts, bankrupting corporations, and draining the economy. The facts clearly speak to the contrary. Below are some of the major myths perpetuated by advocates of tort reform and the facts, which prove their fiction.

1. MYTH: Frivolous lawsuits are flooding our legal system.

FACT: Frivolous lawsuits do not exist as represented by tort reformers.

FACT: The number of lawsuits has significantly decreased in recent years.

FACT: Businesses, not consumers, are far more likely to file frivolous lawsuits.

2. MYTH: Plaintiffs are being awarded outrageous and unwarranted sums of money for their losses.

FACT: The amount of compensation awarded in personal injury cases is in decline.

FACT: The payout in medical malpractice cases has decreased over the last four years.

3. MYTH: Capping damages lowers medical malpractice insurance premiums for doctors.

FACT: Tort reform caps result in savings for insurance companies NOT doctors.

4. MYTH: The tort system places a $300 billion burden on the economy.

FACT: There is no such thing as a tort-tax. The Congressional Budget Office has repudiated the so-called tort tax.

5. MYTH: Medical malpractice claims run up the cost of healthcare.

FACT: Medical malpractice claims have a negligible effect on US health costs.

6. MTYH: Lawsuits are filed at the slightest provocation.

FACT: Many people who are seriously injured never file a claim.

7. MYTH: Doctors are forced to practice “defensive medicine” for fear of medical malpractice lawsuits.

FACT: No evidence indicates that doctors practice “defensive medicine” as a response to lawsuit threats.

8. MYTH: Lawsuits threaten to drive doctors out of practice and bankrupt small businesses and factories.

FACT: Most lawsuits are not even filed against doctors or companies.

FACT: The number of lawsuits against doctors is decreasing while the number of practicing physicians is increasing.

9. MYTH: Punitive damages are awarded to often and for too much money.

FACT: Punitive damages are rarely rewarded in civil suits.

OTHER FACTS

* In 1995, the tobacco industry funded half the American Tort Reform Association''s budget – $5.5 million a year. The money trail of many tort reform advocacy groups is traced to big tobacco, the pharmaceutical industry, large corporate donors, auto manufacturers, and medical associations.

* Less than 6 percent of the nation''s doctors are responsible for over 57 percent of the payouts in medical malpractice lawsuits. (Public Citizen 4/2005)

* Of all the personal injury claims filed, only five percent are medical malpractice claims and another five percent are product liability claims. A big percentage of personal injury claims are filed by one citizen against another in a vehicle accident claim.

* Victims bear the lion''s share of medical malpractice costs—including lost lives, additional medical expenses, time out of work, pain and suffering, and more.

Maybe you should ask yourself why.....don't bother though...all we'll get is leftwing bullshit...

Here's the reason...the uncounted cost directly related to tort reform...defensive medicine practiced by today's physicians.

Let's not forget that Keith is a douche....

Olber-Douche.jpg

Forum List

Back