My Fascination with the Amish

Actually besides a few of mans modern inventions they are living in the 18 hundreds and are doing a fine job at it. That in itself are milestones and they have funny outlooks to medical procedures like going to Mexico for example but other than that they do pretty well.

Looks like this is a very old thread that got bumped.

It's a curious thing, Americans' fascination with the Amish. Even leftist secularists give them a pass when normally they're very critical of Christians. I appreciate that Amish are peaceable and keep to themselves, are hard-working and industrious. But believe me, they are not the best examples of perfect Christians. In fact they are far from it.

Amish are highly legalistic. Highly, HIGHLY legalistic. They are in fact much like the Pharisees of old. They have rules for "godliness" that are peculiar to say the least.

Buttons. Musical instruments. Hair.

Electricity. Dolls with faces. Colors and are acceptable and unacceptable.

None of these things are in the Bible of course; they're all what we call "extra-Biblical", and they're all highly regulated by the "patriarchal" establishment in the church. But worse, so much worse, if you refuse to tow that extra-Biblical line, you are "shunned". And by shunned, I mean shunned. You are cut off from your family and community--the only one you have ever known.

So when I think of the Amish, I really do not think of JUST peaceable and industrious people living quietly. I also think of highly oppressed and regulated people living under the thumbs of dictatorial religious leaders who make their own rules up "as they go". And enforce them with "shunnings".

My grandfather left the Amish and joined the Conservative Conference Mennonites as a young man precisely because he saw the corruption among the young who looked righteous on the outside but were not redeemed on the inside. That means I have Amish relatives and if you put me in the right clothes I would fit in. Yes, they are very disciplined, and very Germanic in their enterprises. That means when they build something, it's built well. They are legalistic, but they do really try to live by the code they preach.

After the school shootings in Amish country a few months ago, I became intrigued by their way of life and beliefs. Yet, my personal opinion of the culture is deeply conflicted.

On one hand, I respect their virtuous conduct in the name of Christ, their voluntary decision to exclude themselves from the inherent "evils" of mainstream society, and their restraint in forcing religious values on the outside world.

But within this reclusive sphere of existence comes a lack of education (most of them stop school after 8th grade in order to help their families earn modest incomes) and a lack of exposure to the benefits that society can offer. I truly believe that education is a national (and should be a universal) right. Without the gift of knowledge we are unable to independently define and rationalize our existence.

I've spoken to many of my friends at school about this and to my surprise (since I go to an extremely liberal and at times leftist university), many told me that it's simply another culture and that my Americanized perspective constituted a bias towards their way of life.

If anyone is interested in responding to this, it would be greatly appeciated as I'm extraordinarily curious to hear what others have to say.
well first off, your education statement is way off base.

they stop at 16, and of the 15% that don't go back, most can pass college entrance exams.

Wow this really proves my point.

People have a love affair with the Amish. I grew up in Mennonite country and they're a little better, but I have stories there too. It's just uncanny. I wonder how many of these folks who think the Amish are quaint are also liberals.....liberals tend to be very tolerant of Islam as well. Go figure that, huh? lol

I grew up as a Conservative Conference Mennonite, and I have some stories too.

After the school shootings in Amish country a few months ago, I became intrigued by their way of life and beliefs. Yet, my personal opinion of the culture is deeply conflicted.

On one hand, I respect their virtuous conduct in the name of Christ, their voluntary decision to exclude themselves from the inherent "evils" of mainstream society, and their restraint in forcing religious values on the outside world.

But within this reclusive sphere of existence comes a lack of education (most of them stop school after 8th grade in order to help their families earn modest incomes) and a lack of exposure to the benefits that society can offer. I truly believe that education is a national (and should be a universal) right. Without the gift of knowledge we are unable to independently define and rationalize our existence.

I've spoken to many of my friends at school about this and to my surprise (since I go to an extremely liberal and at times leftist university), many told me that it's simply another culture and that my Americanized perspective constituted a bias towards their way of life.

If anyone is interested in responding to this, it would be greatly appeciated as I'm extraordinarily curious to hear what others have to say.

they stop at 16, and of the 15% that don't go back, most can pass college entrance exams.

People have a love affair with the Amish. I grew up in Mennonite country and they're a little better, but I have stories there too. It's just uncanny. I wonder how many of these folks who think the Amish are quaint are also liberals.....liberals tend to be very tolerant of Islam as well. Go figure that, huh? lol
I've known a few and I've seen documentary's on them.

amish won't chop off your head for not following god

Neither will Christians almost anywhere. But they do shun their families if they don't conform to their rules, and they do live in a highly patriarchal system.

Why is that okay--why do you think that is so charming?

Not necessarily charming, but it works for them. One thing they do that most of America doesn't is take care of Mom and Dad. As each child becomes an adult, he or she leaves the farm and starts their own life. The last son left at home inherits the farm and builds an apartment on the side of the house where his parents live out the rest of their lives. As his family grows and he ages, he eventually moves into the apartment and his youngest takes care of him. It's not a way of life that everyone would appreciate, but there are benefits.

Neither will Christians almost anywhere. But they do shun their families if they don't conform to their rules, and they do live in a highly patriarchal system.

It's ok b/c it's non violent. disobey islam and your dad kills you, horribly as an example to the other kids.

I don't find them charming, I find them sheep like with an outdated and idiotic notion on how Christ wants them to live. no where does it say you can't have a car

They took that stand to avoid being entangled with the world. The Bible does say that Christians are not to be like the world, but it leaves how that's implemented undefined. The Amish chose to freeze their society at about 150 years ago, hence the no electricity.

It's ok b/c it's non violent. disobey islam and your dad kills you, horribly as an example to the other kids.

I don't find them charming, I find them sheep like with an outdated and idiotic notion on how Christ wants them to live. no where does it say you can't have a car

You defended them. You said they can pass college exams and they won't chop your head off.

Great, same can be said of many evangelicals. The difference is, most evangelicals don't shun their children and won't ever even see them again if they don't follow the rules about buttons. I mean I'm just being honest here.
all I said was their education is top notch, and it is.
the skill sets they learn can take them far in life.

but living he way they do is just ignorant

Okay I can meet you partway there. Certainly learning trades and skills that they do is very beneficial.

They can build a barn in a day without power tools that will stand for a lifetime. No, they don't pursue academics at an advanced level, but then they don't need to.

A lot depends on the leader of their particular group. In Indiana they are fairly strict, but they do have gas powdered generators and gas lights. I had my greatgrandmothers quilt finished by an Amish lady and she did an amazing job. Many here work will work with a Minnonite partner, that way they get around the no computers or phone requirements if they own a business. Another thing they'll have is a phone on "common" ground for business.

I've got nothing but respect for them as a whole. It has to be difficult at times.

No that is true the Minnonites in our area are very savvy in modern gadgets. This one guy I know who builds mini barns has a Dodge truck and he tricked that engine to really pull. Upgraded banks turbo and 5 inch exhaust a real free breathing rig. And about the local phone I know the Amish teenagers will call dominos for a delivery on the weekends at the local phone booth. The Amish will hire a english family to drive them to certain places or to be used for medical trips and what not and in my area those are allowed by the higher ups. I don't know much about that part of the religion and frankly never asked.

I think you need to correct your spelling. The term is "Mennonite". There are major differences in Amish and Mennonites.

Last edited:

You have seen a documentary's what?

The word is "documentaries".

what is a "leftist" university?

universities teach. perhaps it's education you see as "left" as opposed to anti-intellectual rightwingnuttery

That said, I'm pretty sure, like most people, that the Amish are comfortable with what they believe and we would *not* understand it, any more than I understand the Chasidic jews who live near me. It's just what they believe.... as long as they don't hurt anyone or impose their beliefs on anyone else or try to legislate their beliefs into law, I figure they should be left alone.

Part of the Amish, and Mennonite religious belief is the accumulation of WEALTH. They are very hard working, good negotiators, and astute businessmen. They have an obsession with money. I am not saying that is good, or bad, but it does contribute to them being self sufficient, and gives them the ability to pick, and choose which elements of modern society that want to embrace.

Their rules differ by sect, and are all over the place. It is a very interesting community.

Interesting. I have an Amish background and was raised Mennonite and my experience was anything BUT that. Most of my friends grew up on a farm, doing chores before breakfast and after school, and were most certainly NOT wealthy. In fact, most did not bother accumulating wealth, but focused on providing enough to live on. My father was a doctor and more well off than most, but he lived simply and many who met him had no idea he was even a doctor. In fact, in the last 5 to ten years of his working years, he cut office hours back to three days a week because the state mandated that doctors who received Medicaid reimbursement join an HMO, and he didn't want am outside body dictating how he has to treat his patients.

You see, Menno Simons founded the Mennonites in negative reaction to the ostentatious churches of his day. The Amish decided the Mennonites weren't plain enough and split off to form their own group. They are shrewd business people, but they don't seem to acquire wealth.

A lot depends on the leader of their particular group. In Indiana they are fairly strict, but they do have gas powdered generators and gas lights. I had my greatgrandmothers quilt finished by an Amish lady and she did an amazing job. Many here work will work with a Minnonite partner, that way they get around the no computers or phone requirements if they own a business. Another thing they'll have is a phone on "common" ground for business.

I've got nothing but respect for them as a whole. It has to be difficult at times.

No that is true the Minnonites in our area are very savvy in modern gadgets. This one guy I know who builds mini barns has a Dodge truck and he tricked that engine to really pull. Upgraded banks turbo and 5 inch exhaust a real free breathing rig. And about the local phone I know the Amish teenagers will call dominos for a delivery on the weekends at the local phone booth. The Amish will hire a english family to drive them to certain places or to be used for medical trips and what not and in my area those are allowed by the higher ups. I don't know much about that part of the religion and frankly never asked.

I think you correct your spelling. The term is "Mennonite". There are major differences in Amish and Mennonites.

Yes, and some very minor ones that are vehemently controversial within the community. Look up "Black Bumper Mennonite" sometime.

They took that stand to avoid being entangled with the world. The Bible does say that Christians are not to be like the world, but it leaves how that's implemented undefined. The Amish chose to freeze their society at about 150 years ago, hence the no electricity.
Even some of those conventions change as time goes on. The Amish in the area I’m familiar with have phone shacks. Presumably to call emergency services if need be. Though with the rate that they rotate in, and out of there clearly they use it for other purposes. They also own gas powered lumber mill equipment, and chainsaws.
But even still... They’ll hitch up the buggy to get to the corner store my family still owns to this day. Even for something that could be carried back in their pocket. The look on my friends face the first time I asked him why he didn’t just ride the horse was priceless!

I bet you just want to have an amish beard rubbing on your balls as you get blown. :biggrin:

Actually besides a few of mans modern inventions they are living in the 18 hundreds and are doing a fine job at it. That in itself are milestones and they have funny outlooks to medical procedures like going to Mexico for example but other than that they do pretty well.

Looks like this is a very old thread that got bumped.

It's a curious thing, Americans' fascination with the Amish. Even leftist secularists give them a pass when normally they're very critical of Christians. I appreciate that Amish are peaceable and keep to themselves, are hard-working and industrious. But believe me, they are not the best examples of perfect Christians. In fact they are far from it.

Amish are highly legalistic. Highly, HIGHLY legalistic. They are in fact much like the Pharisees of old. They have rules for "godliness" that are peculiar to say the least.

Buttons. Musical instruments. Hair.

Electricity. Dolls with faces. Colors and are acceptable and unacceptable.

None of these things are in the Bible of course; they're all what we call "extra-Biblical", and they're all highly regulated by the "patriarchal" establishment in the church. But worse, so much worse, if you refuse to tow that extra-Biblical line, you are "shunned". And by shunned, I mean shunned. You are cut off from your family and community--the only one you have ever known.

So when I think of the Amish, I really do not think of JUST peaceable and industrious people living quietly. I also think of highly oppressed and regulated people living under the thumbs of dictatorial religious leaders who make their own rules up "as they go". And enforce them with "shunnings".

My grandfather left the Amish and joined the Conservative Conference Mennonites as a young man precisely because he saw the corruption among the young who looked righteous on the outside but were not redeemed on the inside. That means I have Amish relatives and if you put me in the right clothes I would fit in. Yes, they are very disciplined, and very Germanic in their enterprises. That means when they build something, it's built well. They are legalistic, but they do really try to live by the code they preach.

I appreciate this, and I'm not trying to say they're not good people or they're not Christians. They are and they are. What I find puzzling is the not the world's fascination with them--that is obvious. But the world's tendency to see them as "perfect Christians".

There was one perfect Christian, a Lamb without spot. Thank God for that! So although it seems I'm disparaging Amish, I'm really not. They are fallen sinners just like the rest of us, just trying to live out their faith the best they can.

I think you correct your spelling. The term is "Mennonite". There are major differences in Amish and Mennonites.

Yes, and some very minor ones that are vehemently controversial within the community. Look up "Black Bumper Mennonite" sometime.

Let me tell you what those Mennonites can do though. Oh heck I don't have to tell you do I?

COOK FOOD.

They had a restaurant way out in the country. Didn't matter. Always packed. Because the food. I'm not even a foodie but it was so good. Nothing fancy, nothing vegan or keto or whatever. But they were organic before organic was cool....heh

Let me tell you what those Mennonites can do though. Oh heck I don't have to tell you do I?

COOK FOOD.

They had a restaurant way out in the country. Didn't matter. Always packed. Because the food. I'm not even a foodie but it was so good. Nothing fancy, nothing vegan or keto or whatever. But they were organic before organic was cool....heh

That is true. You need a lot of calories to work a farm from sunup to sundown. Of course, now that they're moving away from the farm, obesity is a problem.

But yes, they can cook.

liberalogic said:
many told me that it's simply another culture and that my Americanized perspective constituted a bias towards their way of life.
They're Kinda Stuck With That One Now....

Thank you captain spell check.

please check my grammar was well, as I give as much a fuck about it as I do spelling.

Thank you captain spell check.

please check my grammar was well, as I give as much a fuck about it as I do spelling.

You don't even know the difference is spelling and grammar I see. Why not plan a visit to your local elementary school when they cover possessives and plurals?

Forum List

Back