My faith in American made cars is reaffirmed...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I haven't been here for the last 2 days because Wed morning I was rear-ended on the way to work.

Being pregnant, I was not allowed to go anywhere until I was checked out in the ER. I am fine, as is the baby. I just have a sprain in my neck, and I do have lower back pain, but hopefully it will go away in time. I did have my belt on, as always.

The woman who hit me, was going about 15-20mph (she admitted), and I was at a stop. It was raining and she skidded on the asphalt. I get out after calling 911 and my husband, and look at my car. No damage! I had felt the back end of the car lift up, and she was driving a Honda minivan-I thought the car would have been damaged pretty bad, if not totaled. Her van would not even start, and was leaking coolant. The bumper and grille of her's was cracked and dented.

I just got a call from the repair shop and they said all that needs to be done is painting the bumper-just a bunch of nasty scratches. It didn't even have any cracks or chips or anything. Seriously. I'll see if I can post the pics if I can get copies. There are no mechanical, frame, or suspension problems.

In my job (auto insurance), I have seen cars get pretty messed up after being hit at even just 10mph.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I haven't been here for the last 2 days because Wed morning I was rear-ended on the way to work.

Being pregnant, I was not allowed to go anywhere until I was checked out in the ER. I am fine, as is the baby. I just have a sprain in my neck, and I do have lower back pain, but hopefully it will go away in time. I did have my belt on, as always.

The woman who hit me, was going about 15-20mph (she admitted), and I was at a stop. It was raining and she skidded on the asphalt. I get out after calling 911 and my husband, and look at my car. No damage! I had felt the back end of the car lift up, and she was driving a Honda minivan-I thought the car would have been damaged pretty bad, if not totaled. Her van would not even start, and was leaking coolant. The bumper and grille of her's was cracked and dented.

I just got a call from the repair shop and they said all that needs to be done is painting the bumper-just a bunch of nasty scratches. It didn't even have any cracks or chips or anything. Seriously. I'll see if I can post the pics if I can get copies. There are no mechanical, frame, or suspension problems.

In my job (auto insurance), I have seen cars get pretty messed up after being hit at even just 10mph.

Glad you are ok. What were you driving?

(By the way......Happy Birthday!!!!!!!)

fuzzykitten99 said:

I'm glad you and your baby are doing well. I wouldn't say your lack of damage is necesarrily an American thing. Whenever any car is stopping, the front end drops. The reason you felt your car lift was because the bumper just went up over the top of her hood. What I'm trying to say is, that situation would turn out that way regardless of what kind of car was in front and in back.

I had the same thing happen to me, except for my Ford had the exact same damage as the Honda while the woman I hit didn't even have a scratch.

The ClayTaurus said:
I'm glad you and your baby are doing well. I wouldn't say your lack of damage is necesarrily an American thing. Whenever any car is stopping, the front end drops. The reason you felt your car lift was because the bumper just went up over the top of her hood. What I'm trying to say is, that situation would turn out that way regardless of what kind of car was in front and in back.

I had the same thing happen to me, except for my Ford had the exact same damage as the Honda while the woman I hit didn't even have a scratch.

If you happen to drive a really big pickup the damage would go the other way. If I hit somebody from behind they end up with all the damage...

I drive carefully.

no1tovote4 said:
If you happen to drive a really big pickup the damage would go the other way. If I hit somebody from behind they end up with all the damage...

I drive carefully.

Well right....

GotZoom said:
Glad you are ok. What were you driving?

(By the way......Happy Birthday!!!!!!!)

2000 Chevy Impala LS

My agent called me yesterday, and told me that it just baffles her mind that the minivan that hit me was as messed up as it was, and all I got was deep scratches.

I get to pick it up on Friday. since the paint has to be color matched, because it is more than 2yrs old. Plus the shade that it is, they don't produce that particular one anymore.

In the mean time, I have a super nice 2006 Chrysler Sebring for a rental car-not even 500 miles on it. We had one in Vegas, too, but an 05. They are super nice cars. I think this line will be a contender for our next new car choices. Even my husband likes it, and he's super picky about cars.

The ClayTaurus said:

i wasn't stopping, i was at a complete stop at the intersection.

with the force she hit me, there was sure to be suspension, fuel tank, or even exhaust damage somewhere. being hit at 15-20mph by 2000+lbs of metal is hard to not leave some kind of damage, other than superficial.

I used to do the title work for the entire state of MN, for progressive ins. in that year's time, i saw vehicles that had minor body damage, and were not that old, but had to be totalled out due to frame damage that was either not repairable, or not worth repairing. Which is why I had my husband take ours to the shop ASAP, because of what may lie under the body.

Forum List

Back