My email from Barbra Boxer.

Vintij

Feb 13, 2007
Anaheim, CA
I got a Reply from Sen. Barbra Boxer finally. Here it is

"Dear Mr. Duarte:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for thorough background checks of potential gun purchasers. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your comments.

Like you, I was shocked and saddened by the killings at Virginia Tech. My heart goes out to the families of the victims and the entire Virginia Tech community as they struggle to deal with this horrible loss.

This dreadful event demonstrates once again that there are too many guns in this country that wind up in the wrong hands.

I believe that enacting sensible gun laws is one of the most important steps we can take to keep us safe. I have fought to curb gun violence by supporting legislation that regulates the availability of guns to those who would be a danger and laws that protect children through child safety locks. I have also supported increased security in our schools and strong enforcement of firearms laws.

One of my first actions in the Senate was to be an original co-sponsor of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act. Among other things, this legislation prohibited the purchase of a firearm by anyone involuntarily committed to a mental health facility and established a background check system to alert retailers when a prospective purchaser was in violation of this or any other provision of the law. When it was enacted, the Brady bill mandated a five-day waiting period to ensure that the background check was complete and thorough.

In 1998, the five-day waiting period was replaced with a 30-second instant criminal background check performed through an FBI database. The implementation of the instant background check opened gaping holes in the protections provided by the Brady Act, in large part because the FBI does not have instantaneous access to all relevant and local databases. As an original co-sponsor of the Brady Waiting Period Extension Act, I vigorously fought to give law enforcement every available resource, including time, to ensure that deadly weapons were not sold to dangerous individuals. Unfortunately, the Republican leadership of the Senate did not bring this bill to the floor for a vote.

The House of Representatives is currently considering H.R.297, the NICS Improvement Act of 2007. This bill would strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check by improving the automation and transmittal of criminal and mental health histories to the NCIS database. I strongly support this legislation and will fight for its passage in the Senate.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me again about this or any other issue of concern to you".

The least we can do here on US message board, is support H.R.297, the NICS Improvement Act of 2007. Both sides can agree to this because it does not take guns out of the hands of honest gun owners, it just makes the instant background check far more efficient. So please pass the support around for H.R. 297. Or get in touch with the sen. Of your state and dont be afraid to speak your mind and learn how to help support the bills that NEED to be passed. If I can get a real response then you can too.

vintij said:
The least we can do here on US message board, is support H.R.297, the NICS Improvement Act of 2007. Both sides can agree to this because it does not take guns out of the hands of honest gun owners, it just makes the instant background check far more efficient. So please pass the support around for H.R. 297. Or get in touch with the sen. Of your state and dont be afraid to speak your mind and learn how to help support the bills that NEED to be passed. If I can get a real response then you can too.

Our side has always said that we need to do everything to keep guns out of the hands of psychos.

Maybe if your side had done a little bit more to rein in the medical privacy whackos/ACLU types on the left, Cho Seung-Hui wouldn't have been able to purchase his G19 or P22.

BTW I don't think Frau Boxer wrote that. Or even read your email for that matter.

More guns = more violence

Less guns = less violence

It's really that simple, folks.

You mean it's that illogical.

Take away the right to posess firearms and only those who obey the law already are going to obey that one as well. The criminals will STILL have their guns and they will appreciate folks like you ensuring they have nothing to fear from law-abiding citizens.

VT is a PERFECT example of a disarmed public where the criminal is armed. It didn't equal less violence. It equalled unstoppable violence.

Hey Vintij if you want honest debate on HR 297 than you should post the bill in it's entirety:

H.R.297
NICS Improvement Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

January 5, 2007

Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York (for herself and Mr. DINGELL) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To improve the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.

(a) Short Title- This Act may be cited as the `NICS Improvement Act of 2007'.

(b) Table of Contents- The table of contents for this Act is as follows:

Sec. 1. Short title; table of contents.
Sec. 2. Findings.
Sec. 3. Definitions.

TITLE I--TRANSMITTAL OF RECORDS
Sec. 101. Enhancement of requirement that Federal departments and agencies provide relevant information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
Sec. 102. Requirements to obtain waiver.
Sec. 103. Implementation assistance to States.
Sec. 104. Penalties for noncompliance.

TITLE II--FOCUSING FEDERAL ASSISTANCE ON THE IMPROVEMENT OF RELEVANT RECORDS
Sec. 201. Continuing evaluations.

TITLE III--GRANTS TO STATE COURT SYSTEMS FOR THE IMPROVEMENT IN AUTOMATION AND TRANSMITTAL OF DISPOSITION RECORDS
Sec. 301. Disposition records automation and transmittal improvement grants.

TITLE IV--GAO AUDIT
Sec. 401. GAO audit.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
Congress finds the following:
(1) Approximately 916,000 individuals were prohibited from purchasing a firearm for failing a background check between November 30, 1998, (the date the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) began operating) and December 31, 2004.
(2) From November 30, 1998, through December 31, 2004, nearly 49,000,000 Brady background checks were processed through NICS.
(3) Although most Brady background checks are processed through NICS in seconds, many background checks are delayed if the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) does not have automated access to complete information from the States concerning persons prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm under Federal or State law.
(4) Nearly 21,000,000 criminal records are not accessible by NICS and millions of criminal records are missing critical data, such as arrest dispositions, due to data backlogs.
(5) The primary cause of delay in NICS background checks is the lack of--
(A) updates and available State criminal disposition records; and

(B) automated access to information concerning persons prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm because of mental illness, restraining orders, or misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence.
(6) Automated access to this information can be improved by--
(A) computerizing information relating to criminal history, criminal dispositions, mental illness, restraining orders, and misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence; or
(B) making such information available to NICS in a usable format.
(7) Helping States to automate these records will reduce delays for law-abiding gun purchasers.
(8) On March 12, 2002, the senseless shooting, which took the lives of a priest and a parishioner at the Our Lady of Peace Church in Lynbrook, New York, brought attention to the need to improve information-sharing that would enable Federal and State law enforcement agencies to conduct a complete background check on a potential firearm purchaser. The man who committed this double murder had a prior disqualifying mental health commitment and a restraining order against him, but passed a Brady background check because NICS did not have the necessary information to determine that he was ineligible to purchase a firearm under Federal or State law.

SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.
As used in this Act, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) COURT ORDER- The term `court order' includes--
(A) a court order (as described in section 922(g)(8) of title 18, United States Code); and
(B) a protection order (as defined in section 2266(5) of title 18, United States Code).
(2) MENTAL HEALTH TERMS- The terms `adjudicated as a mental defective', `committed to a mental institution', and related terms have the meanings given those terms in regulations implementing section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, as in effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.
(3) MISDEMEANOR CRIME OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE- The term `misdemeanor crime of domestic violence'--
(A) has the meaning given the term in section 921(a)(33) of title 18, United States Code;
(B) includes any Federal, State, or local offense that--
(i) is a misdemeanor under Federal, State, local, or tribal law or, in a State that does not classify offenses as misdemeanors, is an offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of 1 year or less or punishable only by a fine regardless of whether or not the State statute specifically defines the offense as a crime of domestic violence;
(ii) has, as an element of the offense, the use or attempted use of physical force, such as assault and battery, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon; and
(iii) was committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim; and
(C) does not include a crime described under subparagraph (A) if--
(i) the person was not convicted by the jurisdiction in which the proceeding was held;
(ii) the person was not represented by counsel in the case and did not knowingly or intelligently waive the right to counsel in the case;
(iii) in the case of a prosecution for which a person was entitled to a jury trial in the jurisdiction in which the case was tried--
(I) the case was not tried by a jury; and
(II) the person did not knowingly or intelligently waive the right to have the case tried by a jury, by guilty plea, or otherwise; or
(iv) the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or is an offense for which the person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored unless--
(I) the pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms; or
(II) the person is otherwise prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held from receiving or possessing any firearms.

TITLE I--TRANSMITTAL OF RECORDS
SEC. 101. ENHANCEMENT OF REQUIREMENT THAT FEDERAL DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION TO THE NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM.
(a) In General- Section 103(e)(1) of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. 922 note) is amended--
(1) by striking `Notwithstanding' and inserting the following:
`(A) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding';
(2) by striking `On request' and inserting the following:
`(B) REQUEST OF ATTORNEY GENERAL- On request';
(3) by striking `furnish such information' and inserting `furnish electronic versions of the information described under subparagraph (A)'; and
(4) by adding at the end the following:
`(C) QUARTERLY SUBMISSION TO ATTORNEY GENERAL- If a department or agency under subparagraph (A) has any record of any person demonstrating that the person falls within one of the categories described in subsection (g) or (n) of section 922 of title 18, United States Code, the head of such department or agency shall, not less frequently than quarterly, provide the pertinent information contained in such record to the Attorney General.
`(D) INFORMATION UPDATES- The agency, on being made aware that the basis under which a record was made available under subparagraph (A) does not apply, or no longer applies, shall--
`(i) update, correct, modify, or remove the record from any database that the agency maintains and makes available to the Attorney General, in accordance with the rules pertaining to that database; or
`(ii) notify the Attorney General that such basis no longer applies so that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System is kept up to date.
`(E) ANNUAL REPORT- The Attorney General shall submit an annual report to Congress that describes the compliance of each department or agency with the provisions of this paragraph.'.
(b) Provision and Maintenance of NICS Records-
(1) DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY- The Secretary of Homeland Security shall make available to the Attorney General--
(A) records, updated not less than quarterly, which are relevant to a determination of whether a person is disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under subsection (g) or (n) of section 922 of title 18, United States Code, for use in background checks performed by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System; and
(B) information regarding all the persons described in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph who have changed their status to a category not identified under section 922(g)(5) of title 18, United States Code, for removal, when applicable, from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
(2) DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE- The Attorney General shall--
(A) ensure that any information submitted to, or maintained by, the Attorney General under this section is kept accurate and confidential, as required by the laws, regulations, policies, or procedures governing the applicable record system;
(B) provide for the timely removal and destruction of obsolete and erroneous names and information from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System; and
(C) work with States to encourage the development of computer systems, which would permit electronic notification to the Attorney General when--
(i) a court order has been issued, lifted, or otherwise removed by order of the court; or
(ii) a person has been adjudicated as mentally defective or committed to a mental institution.

SEC. 102. REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN WAIVER.
(a) In General- Beginning 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, a State shall be eligible to receive a waiver of the 10 percent matching requirement for National Criminal History Improvement Grants under the Crime Identification Technology Act of 1988 (42 U.S.C. 14601) if the State provides at least 90 percent of the information described in subsection (c). The length of such a waiver shall not exceed 2 years.
(b) State Estimates-
(1) IN GENERAL- To assist the Attorney General in making a determination under subsection (a) of this section, and under section 104, concerning the compliance of the States in providing information to the Attorney General for the purpose of receiving a waiver under subsection (a) of this section, or facing a loss of funds under section 104, each State shall provide the Attorney General with a reasonable estimate, as calculated by a method determined by the Attorney General, of the number of--
(A) criminal history records for misdemeanors and felonies;
(B) State criminal history records with disposition information;
(C) active court orders in the State; and
(D) State records of persons adjudicated mentally defective or committed to a mental institution.

(2) SCOPE- The Attorney General, in determining the compliance of a State under this section or section 104 of this Act for the purpose of granting a waiver or imposing a loss of Federal funds, shall assess the total percentage of records provided by the State concerning any event occurring within the prior 30 years, which would disqualify a person from possessing a firearm under subsection (g) or (n) of section 922 of title 18, United States Code.

(3) CLARIFICATION- Notwithstanding paragraph (2), States shall endeavor to provide the National Instant Criminal Background Check System with all records concerning persons who are prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm under subsection (g) or (n) of section 922 of title 18, United States Code, regardless of the elapsed time since the disqualifying event.
(c) Eligibility of State Records for Submission to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System-
(1) REQUIREMENTS FOR ELIGIBILITY-
(A) IN GENERAL- From information collected by a State, the State shall make electronically available to the Attorney General records relevant to a determination of whether a person is disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under subsection (g) or (n) of section 922 of title 18, United States Code, or applicable State law.
(B) NICS UPDATES- The State, on being made aware that the basis under which a record was made available under subparagraph (A) does not apply, or no longer applies, shall, as soon as practicable--
(i) update, correct, modify, or remove the record from any database that the Federal or State government maintains and makes available to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, consistent with the rules pertaining to that database; or
(ii) notify the Attorney General that such basis no longer applies so that the record system in which the record is maintained is kept up to date.
(C) CERTIFICATION- To remain eligible for a waiver under subsection (a), a State shall certify to the Attorney General, not less than once during each 2-year period, that at least 90 percent of all information described in subparagraph (A) has been made electronically available to the Attorney General in accordance with subparagraph (A).
(D) INCLUSION OF ALL RECORDS- The State shall make every effort to identify and include all of the records described under subparagraph (A) without regard to the age of the record.
(2) APPLICATION TO PERSONS CONVICTED OF MISDEMEANOR CRIMES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE- The State shall make available to the Attorney General, for use by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, records relevant to a determination of whether a person has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. With respect to records relating to such crimes, the State shall provide information specifically describing the offense and the specific section or subsection of the offense for which the defendant has been convicted and the relationship of the defendant to the victim in each case.
(3) APPLICATION TO PERSONS WHO HAVE BEEN ADJUDICATED AS A MENTAL DEFECTIVE OR COMMITTED TO A MENTAL INSTITUTION- The State shall make available to the Attorney General, for use by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, the name and other relevant identifying information of persons adjudicated as mentally defective or those committed to mental institutions to assist the Attorney General in enforcing section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code.
(d) Privacy Protections- For any information provided to the Attorney General for use by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, relating to persons prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm under section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, the Attorney General shall work with States and local law enforcement and the mental health community to establish regulations and protocols for protecting the privacy of information provided to the system. The Attorney General shall make every effort to meet with any mental health group seeking to express its views concerning these regulations and protocols and shall seek to develop regulations as expeditiously as practicable.
(e) Attorney General Report- Not later than January 31 of each year, the Attorney General shall submit to the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate and the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives a report on the progress of States in automating the databases containing the information described in subsection (b) and in making that information electronically available to the Attorney General pursuant to the requirements of subsection (c).

SEC. 103. IMPLEMENTATION ASSISTANCE TO STATES.
(a) Authorization-
(1) IN GENERAL- From amounts made available to carry out this section, the Attorney General shall make grants to States and Indian tribal governments, in a manner consistent with the National Criminal History Improvement Program, which shall be used by the States and Indian tribal governments, in conjunction with units of local government and State and local courts, to establish or upgrade information and identification technologies for firearms eligibility determinations.
(2) GRANTS TO INDIAN TRIBES- Up to 5 percent of the grant funding available under this section may be reserved for Indian tribal governments, including tribal judicial systems.
(b) Use of Grant Amounts- Grants awarded to States or Indian tribes under this section may only be used to--
(1) create electronic systems, which provide accurate and up-to-date information which is directly related to checks under the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (referred to in this section as `NICS'), including court disposition and corrections records;
(2) assist States in establishing or enhancing their own capacities to perform NICS background checks;
(3) supply accurate and timely information to the Attorney General concerning final dispositions of criminal records to databases accessed by NICS;
(4) supply accurate and timely information to the Attorney General concerning the identity of persons who are prohibited from obtaining a firearm under section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, to be used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation solely to conduct NICS background checks;
(5) supply accurate and timely court orders and records of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence for inclusion in Federal and State law enforcement databases used to conduct NICS background checks; and
(6) collect and analyze data needed to demonstrate levels of State compliance with this Act.
(c) Condition- As a condition of receiving a grant under this section, a State shall specify the projects for which grant amounts will be used, and shall use such amounts only as specified.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:1:./temp/~c110900FJW:e287:

Like criminals are going to obey the law

More gun laws will not stop criminals from committing crimes - it will help make it more difficult for law abiding people from getting a gun to protect themselves

My biggest concern with this bill is that there are no protections for veterans and law enforcement personnel who suffer from PTSD or other mental symptoms. Veterans and law enforcement officials especially may be reluctant to talk with a mental health professional if this bill passes because it could jeopardize their career and livelihood.

TeddyRoosevelt is oversimplifying waaaay too much.

Saying "it's really that simple" is simultaneously so incredibly stupid, so incredibly funny, and so incredibly naive.

I think the best word to describe his statement would be "tragicomic".

Proving (or disproving) causality with something as complex as the crime rate is very difficult to do. Even I won't say I can do that.

I guess TeddyRoosevelt is saying he can do what thousands of our best and brightest staticians cannot? LOL

But on a related note, I'm willing to make TeddyRoosevelt a deal: If he can get rid of the bad guys, he can have my guns.

Maybe in dealing with crime we should completely circumvent guns and cut right to the chase: I propose a law making it illegal to be a criminal. That'll work, right?

:rolleyes:

My biggest concern with this bill is that there are no protections for veterans and law enforcement personnel who suffer from PTSD or other mental symptoms. Veterans and law enforcement officials especially may be reluctant to talk with a mental health professional if this bill passes because it could jeopardize their career and livelihood.

Agreed. I also wish that for once, just once, we could have a straightforward bill that isn't a legalese mish-mash.

If I had introduced this bill it would have read:

H.R. 297: Make medical records available to NICS.

Makes sense. Everyone agrees on it. No ulterior motives. Everyone's happy.

Agreed. I also wish that for once, just once, we could have a straightforward bill that isn't a legalese mish-mash.

If I had introduced this bill it would have read:

Makes sense. Everyone agrees on it. No ulterior motives. Everyone's happy.

Yeah this part is kind of suspect:

SEC. 103. IMPLEMENTATION ASSISTANCE TO STATES.
(a) Authorization-
(1) IN GENERAL- From amounts made available to carry out this section, the Attorney General shall make grants to States and Indian tribal governments, in a manner consistent with the National Criminal History Improvement Program, which shall be used by the States and Indian tribal governments, in conjunction with units of local government and State and local courts, to establish or upgrade information and identification technologies for firearms eligibility determinations.
(2) GRANTS TO INDIAN TRIBES- Up to 5 percent of the grant funding available under this section may be reserved for Indian tribal governments, including tribal judicial systems.
(b) Use of Grant Amounts- Grants awarded to States or Indian tribes under this section may only be used to--
(1) create electronic systems, which provide accurate and up-to-date information which is directly related to checks under the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (referred to in this section as `NICS'), including court disposition and corrections records;
(2) assist States in establishing or enhancing their own capacities to perform NICS background checks;
(3) supply accurate and timely information to the Attorney General concerning final dispositions of criminal records to databases accessed by NICS;
(4) supply accurate and timely information to the Attorney General concerning the identity of persons who are prohibited from obtaining a firearm under section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, to be used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation solely to conduct NICS background checks;
(5) supply accurate and timely court orders and records of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence for inclusion in Federal and State law enforcement databases used to conduct NICS background checks; and
(6) collect and analyze data needed to demonstrate levels of State compliance with this Act.
(c) Condition- As a condition of receiving a grant under this section, a State shall specify the projects for which grant amounts will be used, and shall use such amounts only as specified.

If this is such a good piece of legislation then they don't need to offer incentives.

Mr. Conley is oversimplifying waaaay too much.

Saying "it's really that simple" is simultaneously so incredibly stupid, so incredibly funny, and so incredibly naive.

I think the best word to describe his statement would be "tragicomic".

Proving (or disproving) causality with something as complex as the crime rate is very difficult to do. Even I won't say I can do that.

I guess Mr. Conley is saying he can do what thousands of our best and brightest staticians cannot? LOL

But on a related note, I'm willing to make Mr. Conley a deal: If he can get rid of the bad guys, he can have my guns.

Maybe in dealing with crime we should completely circumvent guns and cut right to the chase: I propose a law making it illegal to be a criminal. That'll work, right?

:rolleyes:

That was Teddy Roosevelt, not Mr.Conley.;)

Our side has always said that we need to do everything to keep guns out of the hands of psychos.

Maybe if your side had done a little bit more to rein in the medical privacy whackos/ACLU types on the left, Cho Seung-Hui wouldn't have been able to purchase his G19 or P22.

BTW I don't think Frau Boxer wrote that. Or even read your email for that matter.

First of all, what do you mean by my side? Why is it that every time you reply, you seem to drag along your political baggage and or agenda.

Second, I suggest you refrain from negative repping for spelling errors. Its childish.

Third, if you agree with this bill, as I understand you do. Why attack me?

Do you have some obsession with the way I speak my mind?

Forum List

Back