My Easter message

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
42 years ago today, Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tenn.

Senator Robert F. Kennedy was campaigning in Indianapolis, Indiana. On that night, he delivered, extemporaneously, one of the great speeches in American history.

But it was the following day in Cleveland Ohio, where Robert F. Kennedy gave a speech for the ages. His words are as relevant today as they were 42 years ago.

The speech embodies everything I grew up believing in, and everything I still believe in today.

It seem proper and fitting to listen to it again, 42 years later, especially on Easter Sunday...it speaks to our conscience as Americans and as human beings.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUIQCyy-6eo]YouTube - Robert F Kennedy Mindless Menace of Violence Speech RFK Bobby[/ame]

Justice is itself the great standing policy of civil society; and any eminent departure from it, under any circumstances, lies under the suspicion of being no policy at all.
Edmund Burke

Can't say I ever missed him or his brothers.

So your Easter message is what? Violence and assassination is OK, as long as it's someone you don't agree with?

My Easter question is.... "Why are you so completely stupid?"

Defiant didn't say one word to lead any intelligent person to the conclusion that you reach. Damn, you are one dumb cuss.

Can't say I ever missed him or his brothers.

So your Easter message is what? Violence and assassination is OK, as long as it's someone you don't agree with?

Defiant didn't say one word to lead any intelligent person to the conclusion that you reach. Damn, you are one dumb cuss.

Any intelligent person can read between the lines. Why is the only tactic you right wingers ever use for innocence comes straight from professional wrestling?

Last edited:

Any intelligent person can read between the lines. Why is the only tactic you right wingers ever use for innocence straight from professional wrestling?

So what you really are saying is that anyone who disagrees with your view should shut the fuck up. Got it.

Moron.

Any intelligent person can read between the lines. Why is the only tactic you right wingers ever use for innocence straight from professional wrestling?

So what you really are saying is that anyone who disagrees with your view should shut the fuck up. Got it.

Moron.

No, I didn't say that, you did. Maybe if you took the time to listen to Bobby Kennedy's words, the message would become clear...

Defiant1 said: 'Can't say I ever missed him or his brothers.'

That attitude degrades our nation. John, Robert and Ted Kennedy were Americans FIRST and Democrats second.

"Whenever any American's life is taken by another American unnecessarily - whether it is done in the name of the law or in the defiance of law, by one man or a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence - whenever we tear at the fabric of life which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, the whole nation is degraded."
---
When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies - to be met not with cooperation but with conquest, to be subjugated and mastered.

We learn, at the last, to look at our brothers as aliens, men with whom we share a city, but not a community, men bound to us in common dwelling, but not in common effort. We learn to share only a common fear - only a common desire to retreat from each other - only a common impulse to meet disagreement with force. For all this there are no final answers.

Yet we know what we must do. It is to achieve true justice among our fellow citizens. The question is now what programs we should seek to enact. The question is whether we can find in our own midst and in our own hearts that leadership of human purpose that will recognize the terrible truths of our existence.

We must admit the vanity of our false distinctions among men and learn to find our own advancement in the search for the advancement of all. We must admit in ourselves that our own children's future cannot be built on the misfortunes of others. We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge.

Our lives on this planet are too short and the work to be done too great to let this spirit flourish any longer in our land. Of course we cannot vanish it with a program, nor with a resolution.

But we can perhaps remember - even if only for a time - that those who live with us are our brothers, that they share with us the same short movement of life, that they seek - as we do - nothing but the chance to live out their lives in purpose and happiness, winning what satisfaction and fulfillment they can.

Surely this bond of common faith, this bond of common goal, can begin to teach us something. Surely we can learn, at least, to look at those around us as fellow men and surely we can begin to work a little harder to bind up the wounds among us and to become in our hearts brothers and countrymen once again.
Robert F. Kennedy - Remarks of Senator Robert F. Kennedy to the Cleveland City Club, Cleveland, Ohio, April 5, 1968

New Topics

Forum List

Back