My dog is old

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
She is quite pathetic now. She no longer roams the neighborhood, she limps very badly, is terrified of loud noises (probably because she is deaf). She still enjoys her dinner.

Not sure what to do with her while we are on vacation.

She may be miserable for 10 days or we put her down.

:confused:

If it were my pet, I'd only put her down if I was certain she'd be miserable while I was away on vacation.

If it were my pet, I'd only put her down if I was certain she'd be miserable while I was away on vacation.
That's my thought, too. But then I feel guilty about not blowing off my vacation with my kids, who I haven't seen together since Christmas.

It is really hard not to know what is not the selfish thing to do.

Oh dear, so sorry, I know this must be a hard decision for you. Do you not have any friends or relatives that could take care of her while you are away??
Someone you can trust, in case the pet became even worse. Have you spoken to your vet, what is his/her opinion??

Oh dear, so sorry, I know this must be a hard decision for you. Do you not have any friends or relatives that could take care of her while you are away??
Someone you can trust, in case the pet became even worse. Have you spoken to your vet, what is his/her opinion??
Well, no. Everyone else is on vacation or otherwise busy, except my neighbor, who is kind of a ditz.

That's my thought, too. But then I feel guilty about not blowing off my vacation with my kids, who I haven't seen together since Christmas.

Don't miss out on the time with your family. Are you worried because you'll have to kennel her, or do you know someone she'd be comfortable staying with??

Don't miss out on the time with your family. Are you worried because you'll have to kennel her, or do you know someone she'd be comfortable staying with??
I think no matter what we do, if we leave her alone at this point, she'll die of a broken heart.

She's always been terrified of kennels or boarding at the vet.

well if you take a one hour ride and drop her off she will be there when you get back.

my dog is old, she is going on 15 and getting deaf and blind, kidneys failing slowly, if we took a trip and she could not come, we would pay professional sitter if we had to to come sit with her etc.

Pet sitters are out there. Probably $10/day and they'll visit 3x/day.
It's tough when they get into their senior years.

Quit making me cry Ravi! It's so hard to see this happen to our pets. :(

And Mr. H has a good idea, would that work for you and your buddy?

I think no matter what we do, if we leave her alone at this point, she'll die of a broken heart.

:( Too bad we can't skype with our pets.

I'd ask myself the hard question: What is more tragic? Having her last days spent being broken-hearted (misting up while typing this) or having her go peacefully with her last moments in your arms knowing she is loved so much?

(Dammit, now full blown tears.)

How certain are we that she's going to die during this time period, regardless? If it's certain she's dying then have her put down. If she's just old and feeble, I'm not of the opinion that death is preferable to inconvenience..not for people or animals.

Forum List

Back