My dog has a heart murmur!

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
I took my dog to an emergency vet Saturday night. She has a bite on her leg from a spat with one of my other dogs, and it was starting to look pretty bad, so I took her in.

That's being treated and has shown improvement, but the bad news is the vet detected a heart murmur. Now, she's a Doberman, and they have a strong genetic predisposition for heart disease...dilated cardiomyopathy in particular.

This murmur may be an indicator of that. In addition, she's lost quite a bit of weight, another possible symptom.

From what I've read, if her heart has already started to enlarge, she may only have six months to live. But if it's only the murmur and no changes have occurred with her heart, it's possible that medication can extend her life two and even three years.

Tomorrow we see her regular vet and then go from there.

I knew she wouldn't live forever, but God I'm not ready to lose her yet. She'll be 10 years old on October 24th. I already have her presents bought and stashed in a closet. :)

My sweet Greta. She is the center of my Universe.

Attachments

• $Greta2.jpg
    $Greta2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 129
I will pray that dear Greta will be with you for many years. Heart murmurs are no different in humans and people live long lives with change of diet, less stress, meds. Just keep loving Greta, honey. She will be there for her birthday! Mine is October 11th. Tell Greta HB for me, giver her a hug twixt her eyes for me and tell her I love her too. I LOVE Dobies! And Greta is just beautiful.

Try not to stress out too much. I know that is hard. Just try, though. She will pick up on you feeling antsy over her condition. Google about it so you can see what you can do on your end while the vet works on that end, ok? And remember....I will light candles for you both as well.

Hugs

i am so sorry your baby is not well.

I know all to well how you feel. We love our pets as if they were children. I hope she will be alright.

I will pray that dear Greta will be with you for many years. Heart murmurs are no different in humans and people live long lives with change of diet, less stress, meds. Just keep loving Greta, honey. She will be there for her birthday! Mine is October 11th. Tell Greta HB for me, giver her a hug twixt her eyes for me and tell her I love her too. I LOVE Dobies! And Greta is just beautiful.

Try not to stress out too much. I know that is hard. Just try, though. She will pick up on you feeling antsy over her condition. Google about it so you can see what you can do on your end while the vet works on that end, ok? And remember....I will light candles for you both as well.

Hugs

Yes, she is already picking up on the fact that I'm upset about something. I've been crying and she has rarely seen me cry. It upsets her. I will try to be strong...for her

Most everything that has a heart has a murmur of some sort.

Don't freak.

Keep any eye on her. Take her for regular visits to the vet.

I will be praying for Greta today, Koosh. I'm also praying for the Lord to comfort and encourage you. He will answer. I love dobermans, only dog I have ever owned myself - was a doberman... my husband owned a mixed lab when I met him but as for me? Only dobi's. No other dog compares - to me.. My dobi passed away this past year. He had a very long life.. his name was Dobi. - Jeri

Don't freak.

spoken like a man who has no idea about this and dobermans....

*hugs koosh*

okay sweetie....we both know what i am about to say will hurt...but it has to be said...
i will not give you false hope at all...i think you know this is more than a murmur....as you said she is losing weight...and you are starting to realize it...i hope its only a murmur....i hope against all hope...

now the worst...i cant encourage you to got to the medical ends with this...its a horrible way for a doberman to die and its hell on the family....watching and waiting for the last breath...

you are a doberman lover and owner...you will be expected to be that....be brave...get your shit together and stop crying...that scares them....you know that...(your realize i am crying my eyes out right now over this hardcore advice i must give you)

you will not be alone....we are here...we cannot help you much but we can help you when you are in pain and if the decision is the worst we will be here....

*hugs koosh again* remember dear....no one cries alone in the pet forum when our pets are in trouble...we will hope for the best and prepare for the worst........

for those non doberman owners....this is like finding our your cat has kidney problems....no real treatment at all.....i have never seen a doberman owner face this problem and not suffer.....its guilt ridden......just guilt ridden....

Don't freak.

*hugs koosh*

okay sweetie....we both know what i am about to say will hurt...but it has to be said...
i will not give you false hope at all...i think you know this is more than a murmur....as you said she is losing weight...and you are starting to realize it...i hope its only a murmur....i hope against all hope...

now the worst...i cant encourage you to got to the medical ends with this...its a horrible way for a doberman to die and its hell on the family....watching and waiting for the last breath...

you are a doberman lover and owner...you will be expected to be that....be brave...get your shit together and stop crying...that scares them....you know that...(your realize i am crying my eyes out right now over this hardcore advice i must give you)

you will not be alone....we are here...we cannot help you much but we can help you when you are in pain and if the decision is the worst we will be here....

*hugs koosh again* remember dear....no one cries alone in the pet forum when our pets are in trouble...we will hope for the best and prepare for the worst........

for those non doberman owners....this is like finding our your cat has kidney problems....no real treatment at all.....i have never seen a doberman owner face this problem and not suffer.....its guilt ridden......just guilt ridden....

You posted the same advice I gave..with more words.

I've had dogs all my life. No..I've never owned a Doberman.

Quite simply..you do the best you can. Dogs are a part of the family.

Only they don't live as long.

It sucks.

So sorry Koosh that your dog is not well.

Lets hope you get the news that she can be made comfortable with meds for a couple more years.

If not, you will know what to do-she will tell you when the time is right.

I know this from the numerous dogs and cats I've had as pets and seen go through illness. They are family and it sucks they don't live as long as we do.

Best wishes.

((Hugs))

Don't freak.

*hugs koosh*

Let us allow Koosh to decide whether she prefers to believe your report or the report of the Lord which is that God does hear the prayers of his people and that His Word does not return back void unto him but will go forth to perform the work it was sent to do. This is according to Koosh's faith and my faith. NOT YOURS STROLLINGBONES.

- Jeri

Last edited:
yea it does suck.....but its the decision we make when we get a puppy or kitten

You know, you do have a point. I had that same thought just yesterday, I thought, "What was I thinking when I got that puppy!?"

Of course, I knew on some level that she would eventually die. What I didn't know is how much I would love her.

I have 12 animals, 8 rescued, and some of those rescued animals I don't really love at all. I have compassion for them, affection for them, I care for them...but I don't love them the way I love this dog.

I have often thought she is someone I knew in a past life, the bond is so strong. I have looked at her and said, "Who ARE you!?" There is something so special about her.

But if that is true, perhaps there is purpose to all this...perhaps we will meet again and I'll be able to say, "Oh, that was YOU!" and we will laugh.

At least she has broken through my inability to cry. I didn't even cry when my father died in 2009. I haven't cried in years. But I have cried several times in the past couple of days, because of the thought of my beloved dog being sick.

Can't cry around her anymore, though. It bothers her, so I have to toughen up.

Vet today at 3:50 p.m. Oh, and the leg wound has busted open, I think it needs to be resectioned and stitched up. But if she has a heart murmur, will the anesthesia be a great risk? Thank God for my vet, he is no nonsense and he knows what he's doing.

I always think of the worst case scenario.

Don't freak.

*hugs koosh*

I know. But I will not give up hope yet. She has no coughing. She still runs. She still gets all giddy and happy when we come home. As long as she can have enjoymnent in life and not suffer, I will not end her life.

It all depends if the heart disease has begun to manifest itself beyond just the level 3 murmur. If it has not, the medications may buy her another couple of years of good life. Not suffering, good life.

No way will I watch this dog struggle to breath as her lungs fill with fluid, which is what dilated cardiomyopathy will do. But that isn't happening yet, there are no breathing problems and the emergency vet said her lungs are clear.

But I also know that the disease progresses very quickly if it's too late for meds to help. :(

You know, you do have a point. I had that same thought just yesterday, I thought, "What was I thinking when I got that puppy!?"

Of course, I knew on some level that she would eventually die. What I didn't know is how much I would love her.

I have 12 animals, 8 rescued, and some of those rescued animals I don't really love at all. I have compassion for them, affection for them, I care for them...but I don't love them the way I love this dog.

I have often thought she is someone I knew in a past life, the bond is so strong. I have looked at her and said, "Who ARE you!?" There is something so special about her.

But if that is true, perhaps there is purpose to all this...perhaps we will meet again and I'll be able to say, "Oh, that was YOU!" and we will laugh.

At least she has broken through my inability to cry. I didn't even cry when my father died in 2009. I haven't cried in years. But I have cried several times in the past couple of days, because of the thought of my beloved dog being sick.

Vet today at 3:50 p.m. Oh, and the leg wound has busted open, I think it needs to be resectioned and stitched up. But if she has a heart murmur, will the anesthesia be a great risk? Thank God for my vet, he is no nonsense and he knows what he's doing.

we all love to varying degrees....that is the guilt sometimes too...when we feel like we didnt love enough.....

a wise women who worked rescue told me one time....you cant save them all.....
and that is so true...

its good to have a vet you can trust who wont lead you astray to get money....

good luck honey....we will all be here waiting for the report....may the fates and muses be kind

Don't freak.

*hugs koosh*

Let us allow Koosh to decide whether she prefers to believe your report or the report of the Lord which is that God does hear the prayers of his people and that His Word does not return back void unto him but will go forth to perform the work it was sent to do. This is according to Koosh's faith and my faith. NOT YOURS STROLLINGBONES.

- Jeri

faith? you know nothing about my faith...now take your yelling at me and fuck off

Waiting for the appointment is the worst. I've been there. Almost as bad as waiting for test results.

I truly hope and wish that you can get the meds and she can have a couple more years of good life.

And I understand loving dogs too. I've loved all my dogs but my last two were special. There was a real bond there. I know exactly what you mean.

Best wishes. Let us know.

Forum List

Back