My Daughter's Dilema

I'm sorry I just ran out of rep. , I thank you all and will make up for it..

Updates .. no problem

Last edited:
Try vinegar, I want to hear if it helps for you.

It helps for us. I wash her hair, dump vinegar on her head (and keep her from slurping it, she loves it) then rinse and apply regular conditioner, and rinse that.

I never comb hair when it's wet, especially fine hair. It stretches and breaks it.

But when I use vinegar, it cuts the fly-away and makes her hair very crisp and manageable.

I don't use it more than once a week. It's also really good for her scalp and skin.

It may make your daughter smell a little like a pickle, though. It definitely will make the bathroom aromatic.

Try vinegar, I want to hear if it helps for you.

It helps for us. I wash her hair, dump vinegar on her head (and keep her from slurping it, she loves it) then rinse and apply regular conditioner, and rinse that.
I never comb hair when it's wet, especially fine hair. It stretches and breaks it.

But when I use vinegar, it cuts the fly-away and makes her hair very crisp and manageable.

I don't use it more than once a week. It's also really good for her scalp and skin.

I can remember my mother using a beer rinse on my hair when I was a kid. Those are supposed to make hair very manageable also. But, I think beer is mostly used for thickening rather than a straightener (so may not be good for curly hair). I have heard that sometimes milk or lemon juice makes a good straightener. Lemon juice is also good for highlights. Have never heard of using vinegar...that is interesting Allie.

Lemon juice will lighten hair.
I've used a mayo heat treatment...where you wash the hair, put mayonnaise on it, cover it with plastic and use a blowdrier to heat it up. That will make hair soft and shiny. Again, it smells like a sandwich.

Also have used beer, it works great at making hair really soft.

We need some help here..

My daughter .. 10 years old has fine, curly, tends to get frizzy and matted hair.. She likes it shoulder length. Mom spends a good 2 hours a night getting the tangles out. We're not so sure about getting it straightened, too damaging.

So.. any ideas..?

I have naturally curly hair - and wore it nearly down to my hips when I was a girl. Caring for curly hair is different than caring for stick straight hair. I recommend this book:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279989387&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Curly Girl (9780761123002): Lorraine Massey, Deborah…[/ame]

And..Products! Products! Products! Matter.

The right grooming and conditioning products will help keep her curls healthy and manageable. For a start, "It's A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product" is a good one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Its-10-Miracle-Leave-Product/dp/B001PPMKWK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1279989534&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product 10 Ounces: Beauty[/ame]

I suggest tomato juice. After the skunk sprays her use tomato juice. The curly hair problem sort of fades in importance by comparision to skunk smell. Also, you could try moving the mirrors in the house about two feet higher.

I've used a mayo heat treatment...where you wash the hair, put mayonnaise on it, cover it with plastic and use a blowdrier to heat it up. That will make hair soft and shiny. Again, it smells like a sandwich.

Did you use beer as a base, but adding other items (I can't really remember how my mother did it exactly)? Or just straight out of a bottle? I'm thinking about trying this again,it has been years.

My observations about hair. Ladies with straight hair spend a great deal of time and money curling it. Ladies with curly hair the opposite. Meanwhile, men are just glad to have hair. Cats seem to be preoccupied with leaving it all around the house.

Conclusion: Straight teeth are more important than straight hair.

Did you use beer as a base, but adding other items (I can't really remember how my mother did it exactly)? Or just straight out of a bottle? I'm thinking about trying this again,it has been years.

I used a 40, I took the bottle to the shower and after washing and rinsing her hair, poured the whole thing over her head. Then rinsed it out.

I used a 40, I took the bottle to the shower and after washing and rinsing her hair, poured the whole thing over her head. Then rinsed it out.

Akward Child Services moment: Your kid is naked and smells like beer.

I got all night Mrs. Smith.

I agree with the previous poster. If it's curly, work with it. If it's thin, work with it.

Find cuts that work well with your hair type. Fine, thick, curly hair..I wonder if texturing it and keeping it short might not be a good idea, unless a person wants to wear braids all the time.

And I've gone that route, too. When Lilly was a baby we were all about braids. Until she cut off the front half of her hair.

At that point we went to a bob for a while.

Last edited:
Celebrate who you are. Grow in knowledge, kindness and patience. The rest needs to pass the, what will people remember when I'm gone test.

I'm with Jill on this..that's why the soft brush. I never had to deal with curly hair, though, just super fine hair. I didn't use combs except for specific things (parting and braiding) because as soon as I pull a comb through, it tangles up again, and the comb would break her hair.

So for a long time I just sort of started from the top with a soft brush until all the mats are worked out.

And when I wash her hair, I never actually wash the ends. I put the soap on her head, and just work it around her scalp without rubbing it into the whole length of hair. Then when I rinse it out, the soap cleans the rest of the hair as it washes out.

Conditioner, just the opposite...I pile the hair, really dump conditioner on the ends (which are on top of her head) massage it in a little, let it sit a while, then rinse it out with lukewarm water.

I have to do it tonight.

Forum List

Back