My cuisine, right or wrong!

Andaluz

Please lick me!
Jul 11, 2011
Granada, Spain
Every country and most regions/states/counties within those countries have their own speciality foods. Some are towering achievements of the culinary arts, others are just fermented fish paste (thank you Cambodia!).

What is the defining food, dish or drink of your area, region, state or country? And is it something to be proud of? If so, dish out the recipe, and tell us why it's special... or disgusting.

I was brought up in Yorkshire, in NE England and, apart from the obvious and delicious Yorkshire Pudding, Yorkshire Baked Curd Tart is a thing of beauty! It's a subtle cheesecake made with sultanas and a hint of nutmeg. Try it...

Yorkshire Curd Tart Recipe

Sounds delicious. We've lived in several regions of the U.S. When we lived in Utah, a culinary favorite out there is Chili Verde, a delicious pork stew where pork is slow cooked with green chilis (usually anaheim chilis). I don't have a formal recipe for it, but here's how I make mine:

Chili Verde

3 pounds country pork ribs (or pork shoulder) - pick lean ones and trim excess fat
10 or so anaheim chilis
2 cups chicken stock
1 can petite diced tomatoes (optional)
1 onion chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
cooking oil (I use olive, it doesn't impact the flavor)

Place green chilis in oven on broil until the skins are slightly blackened. Remove from oven, place in a plastic bag and seal. Let steam 10-15 minutes in the bag until the skins are soft. Peel and stem the chilis. The heat of a chili is in the seeds, so if you like a hot chili, leave some seeds in, if you don't, remove all seeds. Chop the roasted chilis and set aside.

Saute the ribs, onions and garlic in cooking oil until browned on all sides. Add pork, chilis, and all other ingredients to a large stewpot. Simmer over medium low heat for 3-4 hours, or until the meat starts to get tender and fall apart. Adjust seasoning (salt) and serve in tortillas with black or pinto beans. Or, just eat in a bowl with tortillas and cheese as a garnish.

In Utah, these are served as burritos: onions, beans, a helping of chili verde inside the burrito, more green chili ladled on top and topped with cheddar or monterey jack cheese. Delicious.

Anaheim chillies? What them? Anything like Jalapeños? Or Habaneras?

I forgot before... here's a pic of when I last made Yorkshire Curd Tart...

Attachments

• $Curd tart.jpg
    $Curd tart.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
Anaheim chillies? What them? Anything like Jalapeños? Or Habaneras?

I forgot before... here's a pic of when I last made Yorkshire Curd Tart...

They are very mild large (6-10" long) green chilis. They would probably grow remarkably well in your climate.

Anaheim Chili Peppers

A proper substitution would be anything that isn't super hot. So, anaheims aren't as mild as a bell, but they're probalby 1/3 as hot as a jalapeno.

Maine Lobster -

Recipe -- Boil it for a few minutes until the shell is red.

Eating instructions -- Just keep breaking it apart. There's way more meat in that lobster than most people realize.

Maine Lobster -

Recipe -- Boil it for a few minutes until the shell is red.

Eating instructions -- Just keep breaking it apart. There's way more meat in that lobster than most people realize.

Sometimes the best food is the simplest. One of my favourite meals is a few slices of ripe beefsteak tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, garlic and balsámico, a slice of crumbly white cheese (Wensleydale for me), some spiced chutney and a hunk of rustic bread.

Huge in Indiana as Persimmon trees grow wild here.
When done correctly, it is a fantastic dessert that taste like nothing else.

Persimmon Pudding

Attachments

• $persimmon-pudding-2.jpg
    $persimmon-pudding-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
If you're a fan of scurvy you can always subsist on the old (1800s) southern diet of fatback, corn and molasses........

Huge in Indiana as Persimmon trees grow wild here.
When done correctly, it is a fantastic dessert that taste like nothing else.

Persimmon Pudding

Recipe please! I love persimmons when they're really ripe. When they're not, they taste of absolutely nothing. I'd love a recipe for this as we have a lot of persommon trees around the village and nobody picks or uses the fruit.

Forum List

Back