My Critique of my High School

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
Warning: This is a long thread, and unless your really interested in my opinion of my high school, it could be rather boring.

I decided to type how I see the education system, for my High School's critique. I actually intend to deliver a critique on our high school to a friend whom is a Administrator in our school. Why? Well, I want them to see, from a high schooler whom actually wants to learn. I am doing this closer to graduation, so that he can just see how a student's outlook on the worth of the classes was. I am going to list all the classes I went through in my high school career, that I found a waste of my time on here.

A) The teacher did not really teach.
B) The class itself has no real purpose.

Here we go:

Academic Counseling & Computer Applications: Both had the same teacher. Nice guy, but frankly, I learned nothing in this class. The only thing we did is do practically nothing, and I passed making a 96 in CA and a 96 in AC. In the Computer Applications class, at least we did type tests some, I have always been a good typer, and I think I can still type above 120 WPM, if I work for it.

Agriculture Science: Really, nothing to say but the name of the class. I took a lot of Ag Classes, mainly cause I want to live on a farm after the military, but this class was nothing but book work we never did, and a teacher whom had been teaching for a 100+ years.

Wellness: Same with PE, no real standards, I was in a boot cast for my ankle nearly the whole year I was in this class.

English II: Teacher let us watch a lot of movies, and we learned practically nothing. Nice lady, but honestly, no reason to take this class, it's a requirement, but I wish I had taken Honors.

Physical Education II: It's P.E., but wish we had, had more standards.

Biology I: This class was a good learning class, I had the same teacher for AP Biology, but we actually had people in the class whom are now in jail/prison, and I haven't even graduated high school yet people.

Dual Credit or AP (Cannot remember which) Principle Vet Science: This class was insanely easy, I learned to play cards very good, cause our computer didn't work some days, and so we couldn't see the professor.

Overall, my classes where a majority "ok". I had a few good ones:

Honors US History: Watched a video everyday, but always had a test over it, and we learned a LOT in this. I loved the teacher, and I am a history buff, so it was great.

German I & II: I am currently taking German II, this is the hardest class I've ever had, except for AP Biology. German is amazing, the teacher is the greatest I've ever had. He pushes us so hard, and I am going to tell you what, he has seen the educational system from Europe & America, he says Europe's is way better then ours.

AP Biology: Test nearly everyday, you get the material Monday, take the test Tuesday on it. Nearly failed, but passed in the end. Very rough, and I am glad I tried it, even though I did not good at it.

My only regret is that I took easy classes and slacked. Another is the fact that they didn't offer AP or Dual Credit US History until this year, and if you've taken Honors you can't take AP or Dual-Credit. Also, I wish I had been able to get Ancient History with my Honors US History teacher.

In my opinion, the teacher is to blame more then the students. I understand students really need to change in my county, they don't care if they fail or pass, and really, the system, at least here, really helps them to get through high school, and works hard NOT to fail people. It basically sets us up for failure.

Overall, I really hope the educational system is better elsewhere. I hope our's changes, but now that I am about to leave it, and go off to the Air Force, all I can really do is try my best to point out the goods and the bads, and hope they heed a bit of my advice. Although I doubt it, it can't hurt to try.

Never took the easy classes. Nor study hall. Was within one credit of gradation when I entered my senior year. Had many exceptional teachers. Most are gone now, I graduated high school in '62, I cannot thank them enough for the effort on their part. Many stand out in so many ways. An American History teacher, and also an wrestling coach, that was Apache. We learned American History from a differant perspective. A chemistry teacher that encouraged thinking out of the box. So many that gave extra time to encourage learning and curiosity.

Teaching is a very special profession. And all too often unappreciated.

I'm not sure how you blame the teachers for your choice of easy classes and your own slacking. There isn't a lot a teacher can do if a student doesn't care if they fail or pass. I mean, I suppose they can jump up and down and "entertain" you, but not every teacher is capable of that. Seems that type of motivation is internal and has to start at home.

Oh...and I don't want to insult you because I think you did a good job articulating your thoughts. But the part of me that majored in English needs to help you with something. In order to ascertain whether you should use the subjective or objective case (e.g., who or whom), try replacing the pronoun with I/he or me/him. if I/he would fit, then use who. if me/'him' would fit, use whom.

example: to a friend whom is a Administrator should be to a friend who is an Administrator

Last edited:
I know this may seem patronizing but there are things you see when you have lived long enough to see them.

I know alot of young adults think they learn nothing in an experience but its because they are hearing things that reafirm what they already know and think the new info is just old info in retrospect.

I have many a time in my life told my son something which he then excoriated as useless or false only to hear him a year or two later TEACH it to me as if its new info to me.

I rarely call him on it as this is the job of a parent. You teach them all you know in hopes they benifit from the information.

At some point they accept the information as their own personal knowledge.

This is what teaching is all about.

Its not about the teacher its about the information and the student.

I bet that teacher who has been teaching 100 years as you say left you gifts you may never recognize as coming from him.

Warning: This is a long thread, and unless your really interested in my opinion of my high school, it could be rather boring.

Thanks for the warning. I'll skip the read.
Your welcome, that is why I put that there ;).
I'm not sure how you blame the teachers for your choice of easy classes and your own slacking. There isn't a lot a teacher can do if a student doesn't care if they fail or pass. I mean, I suppose they can jump up and down and "entertain" you, but not every teacher is capable of that. Seems that type of motivation is internal and has to start at home.

Oh...and I don't want to insult you because I think you did a good job articulating your thoughts. But the part of me that majored in English needs to help you with something. In order to ascertain whether you should use the subjective or objective case (e.g., who or whom), try replacing the pronoun with I/he or me/him. if I/he would fit, then use who. if me/'him' would fit, use whom.

example: to a friend whom is a Administrator should be to a friend who is an Administrator

I do not blame them for skipping easy classes, or slacking, I blame a teacher who would come outright and tell us "I don't care what you do, just don't get in trouble" or "I don't feel like grading your papers, so just watch a movie, don't make too much noise." Those where not their exact words, but they always had something related in certain classes. I do not go to school for entertainment, I go to school to learn. Although, I have had a few teachers, the best ones in my opinion, that entertain us while they teach, which really makes it easier on me to understand them. Although, I have found out how much entertainment is too far. I am currently in a class called Earth Science, and the teacher has had us do more arts & crafts making little books with paper, then I think I have done since kindergarten. It is driving me insane, today she saw me reading a book instead of doing it, I honestly would do it, if I believed it would help me on a test, but frankly, I just take the information she puts on these booklets (what else would you call them? I have no idea what a proper term for them would be) and am going to just write down the info in bullet or number style, and memorize.

Also, you are not insulting me, your educating me, which I thank you for. Thanks, and I will rep you for correcting me.
I bet that teacher who has been teaching 100 years as you say left you gifts you may never recognize as coming from him.
Like what? The guy appeared drunk a lot of times (we all believe his 'coffee' was in-fact alcohol), Ag Science was supposed to be from the curriculum's papers a point of combining Biology and Agriculture, we ended up spending all our time either doing nothing because he never assigned work or did any type of notes, or spent our time in a work shop where we cleaned up stuff other classes did.

You wouldn't believe what 9th graders can do if you give them a shop that is nail guns, hammers, and just nails. I have never seen so many nails shot into random places on the boards/room.

Last edited:
I hated H.S.! I took the GED to get out early. After the service, I went to a Community College and a University, had a great time at both.

College folk are dedicated and focused, generally smarter and they don't fuck around (much). H.S. kids just don't care much about anything.

My 30th H.S. reunion is this summer but I'm not going. I hated being there, why would I go back 30 years later?

I hated H.S.! I took the GED to get out early. After the service, I went to a Community College and a University, had a great time at both.

College folk are dedicated and focused, generally smarter and they don't fuck around (much). H.S. kids just don't care much about anything.

My 30th H.S. reunion is this summer but I'm not going. I hated being there, why would I go back 30 years later?

Well, currently the Air Force wouldn't accept me if I had a GED, and I do not want to quit, no offense. I understand hating it, I want to go back to the 10 year high school reunion, I just hope more of the people are successful then I think will be.

Forum List

Back