My City Is Being Held Hostage!!!!

Learning to accept that the weather counts is a good lesson.

Portland isn't prepared to deal with snow, so staying home is actually an excellent way of coping.

That's one of the things I admire about Maine. (unlike the more populated parts of New England and mid Atlantic states)

We accept that sometimes mother nature is just out there kicking ass and so we stay home when she does.

Damned little that most of us do is so important that we need to risk our lives to get it done today.

Last edited:
Scientists predicted this would happen in the 1970s and now it's finally starting. Here's an article from Newsweek entitled 'The Cooling World' that provides all the details:

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

You'd better get ready for the next Ice Age. This is going to be horrible. If you don't prepare, this could happen to you:

Gore-Freezing.jpg

How the hell does one get ready for an ice age?

Learn to speak Spanish, and become REALLY NICE to your Mexican gardener, I guess.

The city is sorta up and running. My husband was able to get out and hopefully will make it home.

The entire Portland Metro has 4 deicers. We normally have rain rain and more rain and for the next 2 weeks they are talking snow snow and more snow. We might stay below freezing for the next week.

The problem with Portland is that when it snows, it's WET and freezing. It isn't just snow, there's ice under it.

It isn't like the nice fluffy snow we get in the central high desert...

We've got lotsa snow, too. Schools are closed, but I went to work anyway.

Hell, in Seattle now (because of the heat produced under the city) if there is snow they start the plows when the first flake appears because of one year we got a whole foot (talking recent history, we use to get that every year) and no one was ready. The bottom layer was solid ice and the top covered in wonderful fluffy stuff, walking on it was hard but resulted in a humorous slip and fall with my best friend (she tried to keep me from falling but wound up slipping herself). The Northwest has gotten laxed on snow since the recent weather changes.

We had nearly no Summer this year. Very mild... Winter has hit early and hard. Looking at history we might end up with our longest time period below freezing. It currently holds at 10 days back in 1990 but this might brake that.

More snow coming in on Wednesday and Thursday. Then clearing on Friday. Another storm coming in Saturday. All expected to dump snow. Weather predictions are all over the place. Depends on what site you go to as to how long this is to last.

Oh schools canceled for tomorrow.

in the mtns of nc we are prepared for snow and it rarely stops us from going out and doing things...they do call off school....the only problem with my subbie is that if the snow gets deep it will bottom out on the snow but its been a few years since i have had that problem...the eastern part of the state gets snow and they go all to hell and apparently have to die on the ice too....4 wheel drive on ice..just means all 4 wheels are sliding

Husband got to work for a few hours but very unsure about tomorrow. 3rd day of school canceled tomorrow. Another storm moving in tonight. Snow, freezing rain and rain, that will freeze again once the sun sets.

This is really out of the norm for us. We are normally covered in clouds and raining nonstop. The clouds keep the heat in the valley. The mountains all around us get snow but normally not below 1000 feet. I'm at 40 feet. Most of the idiots around here have no idea how to drive in this. This is earlier in the season than what hits, if it hits at all.

Oh and this will not be the last freezing storm coming in for us. Saturday looks like round 3. Portland, Oregon (97086) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

I know all of you in the areas that get snow find this funny... But this town isn't set up to handle this for this long. They have us in winter weather for the next week. I pray that this isn't the first of many long months of winter ahead... But I have a feeling it is.

If a town isn't prepared to deal with snow, even a modest snowfall reeks havoc.

We here in the NE understand that.

After all, every winter we see people who live here who aren't prepared for the first snow screw up.

It's not hard for us to imagine what's it like when a whole city is populated with people unprepared to deal with the stuff.

We missed out on the freezing rain and have some thawing going on but I'm prepared for it to drop below freezing again tonight. I'm also prepared for the kids to be back in school tomorrow if this warming continues. It's too early to say. The kids are actually hoping to have school at least one day this week so they can have their holiday parties.

Forum List

Back