My Cat Is Insane

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've always been of the opinion that cats are all a bit nuts, anyway, but my newest one is completely bonkers. He's a Maine Coon Cat, so he's a big muscular sucker, and he's got claws like talons. This is a problem because, like all cats, he holds the belief that where he belongs is wherever he happens to wish to be at the moment. Usually, that would be my lap, which is rapidly disappearing under my pregnant belly. He gives absolutely no warning when he's incoming, so all of a sudden, one is presented with a furry, twenty-pound bowling ball flying at speed. And he views his abnormally long claws as handy landing gear, the perfect solution to the inexplicable fact that so many people do not have twenty-pound-cat-sized laps.

Right about now, you're saying, "Well, that doesn't sound any different than any other cat, although maybe a bit bigger and heavier." Ah, but the time he feels most inclined to be on my lap - although certainly not the ONLY time - is when I'm in the bathroom, relieving myself. This cat (whose name is Latte, because he's the color of a latte and acts like he's hopped up on caffeine) has a weird fascination with all my hygienic behaviors, and cannot conceive of the idea that I might prefer to urinate without his extremely close company.

Now, of course, you're saying, "Why don't you just shut the bathroom door tightly, then?" Originally, I couldn't get it to shut entirely, because the wood had swelled from humidity. Now that it does shut all the way, I am treated to the sight of Latte's paw, extending under the door and rattling it in the frame, accompanied by a loud, forlorn, and repeated yowl that annoys everyone in the house.

Nor is this the only time Latte feels the need to join me in the bathroom. Oh, no. His favorite activity is to watch me take a bath. He won't come near the shower when it's running, but baths . . . If he can get into the bathroom, then he has his front paws on the edge of the tub, peering around the shower door at me. If he can't get in, then he's rattling the door and yowling.

Last week, I started the tub running, and then realized that I had forgotten my book in the bedroom and went to get it (I take showers for cleanliness, and baths to relax stiff muscles). When I came back, Latte was in his usual position, front paws up on the tub, peering into the water with every appearance of confusion, as though he was saying, "Where the hell is she?" I walked in, and he turned and looked over his shoulder at me, like, "Oh, there you are. I was looking for you."

The culmination, though, was a couple of days ago, when I closed the shower door almost all the way to hold the steam in, because I was really cold. There was about a two-inch gap. Over the top of my book, I saw a kitty paw slooooooowly extend through the gap, then scrabble madly at my foot, which was just out of reach, then withdraw. A minute later, the paw slooooooowly crept into the space again, scrabbled madly at my foot, then withdrew. I watched him do this a couple more times, then opened the shower door. Latte happily popped up over the edge of the tub as usual, as if to say, "Well, FINALLY. I've been trying to get your attention for ages."

My cat is completely, certifiably insane.

ha ha my cat knows how to open doors with his paw, also last summer somehow he cracked open the glass sliding door to my back deck. He is so clever ! My girl cat is a primadonna and whenever the boy cat tries to snuggle up to her she smacks him.

I also have a Maine Coon cat residing with me.

They are not quite like most other cats, in my opinion.

They're the cats that the other cats think are arrogant.

ha ha, my boy cat is a Ferrell cat and he is very Arrogant too.

I just misread your post to read 'my boyfriend is a feral cat and very arrogant too'.

ha ha funny sky. I don't have a boyfriend nor do I date, but your correct in the past both ex husbands were arrogant. HAHA:razz:

That's what happens without glasses and my morning caffeine.

ha ha I bet you had a good morning laugh then from your misread.

We have a cat door so our cats come and go as they please. They love to bring in all sorts of critters: rats, mice, squirrels, birds and bugs (like roaches). Then they let them go INSIDE THE HOUSE!

We have a cat door so our cats come and go as they please. They love to bring in all sorts of critters: rats, mice, squirrels, birds and bugs (like roaches). Then they let them go INSIDE THE HOUSE!

We used to have indoor/outdoor cats when I was a kid. Then my dad opened the door to let one of them in a couple of days before Christmas, and the cat dived behind all the presents under the tree . . . with a dead, bloody mouse corpse clutched in his jaws. Mom had hysterics, and I can still remember my dad muttering under his breath as he hauled every single present out from under the tree in order to retrieve the cat and the corpse.

What really convinced Mom, though, was that a year later, that same cat decided to curl up and take a nap in the warmest place in the yard . . . which happened to be under the hood of the car, on top of the engine block. Mom started the car, screeching, black fur flying everywhere, more hysterics. The cat survived, but the vet bills were tremendous, and Mom never allowed any of our cats to go outside ever again.

I don't know if Latte is arrogant so much as just very playful and affectionate, and so damned big that it's never occurred to him that he's not the dominant animal in the house. Min, the female cat who lives in the main house with him, is too fat and passive to argue with whatever he wants, and Remy, the Keeshond, is too gentle and loving. By the way, Latte LOVES snuggling up to Remy for naps now that it's cold. I'm always amused to see the dog sprawled on the floor, fast asleep, and the cat walking up and making himself comfortable against Remy's tummy, supremely oblivious to the fact that Remy's six times his size. Remy always wakes up, startled, looks down, and then flops back on the floor as if to say, "Oh, it's just you again."

Anyway, that may be why Latte exhibits such strange behavior toward me. As the only female human in the house, he may just be feeling the instinct to try to dominate me, as well. I know for the first three months that I was pregnant, I had to literally hide my clothes after I took them off, because if I didn't, Latte would urinate all over them. Only MY clothes, and only those that I had just worn. The vet said it was probably the smell of the pregnancy hormones driving him nuts. I think he was already nuts.

My 80 lb. pitbull mix (Kaleb) is absolutely PETRIFIED of cats. He hates them with a passion. Kaleb LOVES to join you in the bathroom though... if you're on the toilet, he will open up a door or bark to get you to open it for him and he will just lay there right by your feet.

Kaleb has recently discovered the art of chasing squirrels though. Some jokester put a sign on the trunk of a large tree that had an arrow pointing up that said "FREE SQUIRRELS" as my area is full of squirrels and full of dogs... which are not the best combo. The other day I was playing with Kaleb in the park off leash and he saw a squirrel just staring at us playing. Kaleb lost it and with every ounce of energy he had, he ran as fast as he could over to the squirrel. He missed the squirrel and almost ran head first into the tree. I couldn't stop laughing at him.

I had a black Persian who would attack me viciously whenever her food bowl was empty. I mean completely viciously, slash and bite at my feet while growling, draw blood.

I finally gave that $350 cat to a woman who was a real bitch who raised them. I didn't tell her about the unfortunate behavior. Hope she enjoyed it.

My Cat Is Insane by Cecilie1200

Well, look who he has to live with.

How's Latte?

Still completely nuts. The other day, he got up on my lap, turned partway around, hooked his claw into my shirt at the side of my left breast (as an anchor, one assumes), and then flopped backward so that he was lying across my lap, head cradled on my right elbow as I was holding the computer mouse, all four feet in the air, purring and content with the world. This is one of his favorite tricks, and he doesn't seem to much mind if his stiletto-like claws sink a bit TOO deeply into my shirt, if you catch my drift.

He's also taken to playing with Nimitz, the cat we keep isolated in the master bedroom. Nimmy is pretty old - 13 - and nearly had a nervous breakdown when our ex-roommate brought his tomcat to live with us. The dog doesn't please her, either, so she has the run of the master bedroom and bath and we keep the door closed to keep the other animals out. Latte, though, doesn't accept that. I go into the bedroom and shut the door, and he slips his paw under the door and rattles it back and forth to get my attention. Nimitz, of course, can see his paw moving around and swats at it. So now Latte lies in the hallway, his foreleg shoved under my door, swatting at Nimitz while she pounces on his paw like a mouse. She wigs if he actually manages to get into the room, but she doesn't seem to mind this little game.

Cats are just weird.

Forum List

Back