MY cat is in bad health

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
he is getting sores that scab over on his neck and back of his head. they are bloody then seem to scab over but they are spreading. i put oinment on but i just dont have the money for a vet

Well I hope for your sake it isn't ringworm.

If you don't have money to care for your animals, you shouldn't have them. First law of pet ownership.

i suppose i may have to. could he get ring worms if he has no contact with other animals? he never goes outside and hasnt been outside in 16 months except to be on the porch to get brushed off

Ringworm is a fungal infection that generally is passed from one host to another, but I suppose theoretically he could have picked it up without being outside, if maybe he had a mild case of it, or his immune system is compromised now or something like that.

People can get ringworm, too, btw.

Or it could be mange, which is a mite infection.

I have heard people have used over-the-counter athlete's foot medication successfully for ringworm, but I have never used it on my animals.

I would want him to see a vet, though, to determine what it is. Those things can be hard to treat and it's easier just to do a lab, identify the issue and do it right the first time. It's usually cheaper, too.

take your cat to the vet...odd you dont have money for the vet but you have that sign line ....cant pay my rent etc

if you cant care for the cat turn it in to the humane...at least it will be cared for

he is getting sores that scab over on his neck and back of his head. they are bloody then seem to scab over but they are spreading. i put oinment on but i just dont have the money for a vet

call your local SPCA or humane society or whatever your local organization is. tell them your situation. they may be able to help you.

no group that cares for animals will turn you away. they may be able to send you to a vet who will work for either free or cheap or gear his/her fee to your ability to pay.

it sounds like some type of parasite, btw, but should be easily treated if you deal with it soon.

Last edited:
stop putting random mal on the cat..that is just gonna make it worse....call a vet and see a vet....

dont be penny wise and pound foolish

The ointment might make it feel better, it's unlikely to cure it.

It could be a whole host of things; it's impossible to tell without looking at the cat and probably doing a lab. Cats get auto immune diseases, worms can cause skin issues, it could be mange, ringworm, any of a dozen things. It could even be a YEAST infection, you just don't know. And all of those things need specialized treatment. It is possibly a secondary infection and the underlying problem is something completely different.

I had a cat get sores on his neck and back and start having seizures once....he was allergic to his flea collar!

Quit being so cruel to it and use your gun.

Quit being so cruel to it and use your gun.

I don't see how pulling a gun on the poor vet is going to help anybody.

Take the gun to a pawn shop, then use the money at the vet's. Geeze, how hard was that?

Call your local Petco...or vet. Petco often has veterinarians that come by and provide low cost health care for pets. Some veterinarians will provide free or reduced medical care or even allow you to make payments, or refer you to someone who will.

Well I hope for your sake it isn't ringworm.

If you don't have money to care for your animals, you shouldn't have them. First law of pet ownership.

That sounds good, but what if you're poor and the animal walks up to your door...do you let it starve? Do you feed it? Do you become attached to it?

I actually had to have one of my cats put to sleep because he was costing us more than $200.00 a month with his urinary track infections, and this was 20 years ago. We couldn't afford it every single month. I wanted to take him to the pound but was told of the horrible deaths they go through in only 3 days, if they aren't adopted. I had no other choice.

My thought was how do you know your financial future out twenty years? Obiviously the cat made it this far in the relationship.

Forum List

Back