My buddy confronted by cops

Yeah they should just ignore people walking arround with a gun because that has turned out so well in the past

It's the LAW you stupid fuck.

People are killed by cars every day.

Should motorists be pulled over and asked for ID for no reason too?

What a flaming retard you are.

I think she has proven many times over that she doesn't respect laws that she disagrees with.

Obviously, the person in the video was breaking no laws. I don't have any problems with the police stopping him briefly like they did. I'm actually surprised that they didn't insist that he produce identification.

Did you notice how the hands of cop who was speaking kept drifting down to his belt and the tazer and his gun, but he kept pulling his hands back up so as not to instigate a reaction?

Immie

Last edited:
then why did people start calling the cops names?

They called the one cop a weenie and quite frankly watching the video that is exactly what I thought as well. That cop was week. He is nothing at all like the cops I know who are very assertive and authoritative. I was definitely surprised they reacted as they did when he refused to identify himself.

Those who are using the term NAZI in this thread were using it in reference to people like you who seem to want to take other people's rights to carry a weapon away from them.

Immie

i thought the cop was real niced to him.

Why do you people think the cops may be concerned about a guy walking arround with a gun when most people dont?

Guns kill people.

In this world where people are shot in mass by some nuttter every time you turn arround it is wise of these cops to stop and talk to some guy walking arround with a gun displayed.

If he looked muslim and had a packpack on while carrying this gun you would be insensed that the cops just let him walk away.

If you open carry a gun dont be so stupid as to think people don not see you as a threat.

Remember just how scared you guys got at two skinny black guys standing there while one held a nightstick.

You still want that guy in prison for carrying a nightstick yet its fine for you to walk arround packing in the open and everyone is supposed to think you no threat to anyone.

People dont think you friend is less of a threat just because he is white.

life according to comrade truthmatters..

then why did people start calling the cops names?

They called the one cop a weenie and quite frankly watching the video that is exactly what I thought as well. That cop was week. He is nothing at all like the cops I know who are very assertive and authoritative.
That young fellow is clearly a rookie and definitely not a stereotypical "cop." But I'm not familiar with the character of Eugene, Oregon. Is it a relatively peaceful place? And does anyone know if their police department's recruitment qualifications include some college?

Under the circumstances, with a video camera running and no perceptible offense to justify any official action on their part, I'll suggest those two cops were smart enough to know they were on thin ice and had better step lightly.

I've seen similar videos (there are several on YouTube) in which the cops came on much more strongly. But that turned out to be proportionately embarrassing when they finally had to back down.

I was definitely surprised they reacted as they did when he refused to identify himself.
Their only option was to risk provoking a civil suit, which would seriously piss off their commanders.

Last edited:
Yup.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone more aptly fit the weenie description.

I don't get why he let him go.

The guy is visibly armed..

At the least he should be able to produce ID. The cop should be able to check if the guy has any record.

It would be the same if he was carrying around a samurai sword or a claymore.

Sheesh.

Legally, the police have no right to demand ID unless he was observed breaking the law.

He wasn't breaking the law.

Appeals Court Rules That Asking For I.D. Not A Seizure | Threat Level | Wired.com

http://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform-immigrants-rights-racial-justice/know-your-rights-what-do-if-you

I was waiting for the guy in the video to say, "Am I being detained?" or "Am I free to leave?" And, by God, he DID! Good for him! If you think you are being rousted by the police for no reason, you should ALWAYS ask that question. If they say no, you are not being detained or yes, you are free to leave, then LEAVE. IMMEDIATELY. If they say yes, you are being detained and are not free to leave, demand to know why you are being detained.

Notice what these dufus cops did when he asked that question? They refused to respond. He should have just walked away at that point.

Now, having said all of that - I have carried a loaded, 12-gauge shotgun and never been questioned. Why? Because I was in the middle of an otherwise deserted, dove hunting field in Arizona at the time. Would I carry a loaded, 12-gauge shotgun on a downtown street in a populated city? I don't think I would, even though I may have had a legal right to do so unless, of course, I was trying to stir up a confrontation with the police which, of course, was precisely what this guy was trying to do.

Frankly, I can't get too exorcised over the fact that these officers questioned this guy. While it may be not be illegal to carry a weapon in an open carry state, it may be illegal if the person doing the carrying is a convicted felon. I think police may have a right to make a Terry stop on someone carrying a weapon openly, even in an open carry state, to see whether or not the person is a convicted felon.

On the other hand, they may not have that right - frankly, I don't know. But regardless, to all of you wingnuts here who like to get all over the Cindy Sheehan's of the world, I would like to point out that what this guy was doing isn't that different from what Cindy (and those like her) did. He was setting up a confrontation - obviously. I guess when the confrontation is in line with what you believe in, it's OK but when it isn't, then the person doing it is a nut case.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the cop stopping him, or his replies to the cop. I think they all acted professionally. The cop gave him a reasonable explanation as to why he was stopped, the guy told him that he wasn't obliged to tell him anything, and they moved on. Well handled by all I thought...

At the least he should be able to produce ID. The cop should be able to check if the guy has any record.

Sheesh.

Legally, the police have no right to demand ID unless he was observed breaking the law.

He wasn't breaking the law.

Appeals Court Rules That Asking For I.D. Not A Seizure | Threat Level | Wired.com

Know Your Rights: What To Do If You're Stopped By Police, Immigration Agents or the FBI | American Civil Liberties Union

I was waiting for the guy in the video to say, "Am I being detained?" or "Am I free to leave?" And, by God, he DID! Good for him! If you think you are being rousted by the police for no reason, you should ALWAYS ask that question. If they say no, you are not being detained or yes, you are free to leave, then LEAVE. IMMEDIATELY. If they say yes, you are being detained and are not free to leave, demand to know why you are being detained.

Notice what these dufus cops did when he asked that question? They refused to respond. He should have just walked away at that point.

Now, having said all of that - I have carried a loaded, 12-gauge shotgun and never been questioned. Why? Because I was in the middle of an otherwise deserted, dove hunting field in Arizona at the time. Would I carry a loaded, 12-gauge shotgun on a downtown street in a populated city? I don't think I would, even though I may have had a legal right to do so unless, of course, I was trying to stir up a confrontation with the police which, of course, was precisely what this guy was trying to do.

Frankly, I can't get too exorcised over the fact that these officers questioned this guy. While it may be not be illegal to carry a weapon in an open carry state, it may be illegal if the person doing the carrying is a convicted felon. I think police may have a right to make a Terry stop on someone carrying a weapon openly, even in an open carry state, to see whether or not the person is a convicted felon.

On the other hand, they may not have that right - frankly, I don't know. But regardless, to all of you wingnuts here who like to get all over the Cindy Sheehan's of the world, I would like to point out that what this guy was doing isn't that different from what Cindy (and those like her) did. He was setting up a confrontation - obviously. I guess when the confrontation is in line with what you believe in, it's OK but when it isn't, then the person doing it is a nut case.

I was trying to stir up a confrontation with the police which, of course, was precisely what this guy was trying to do.

Nope you would be wrong because he open carrires just like I do all the time. Just last week in a store I go to all the time a husband shot his wife and killed himself.
Lowes in Concord

Man kills wife, then self in Lowe's store shooting | WCNC.com Charlotte

It could have been worse.

Truthmatters, it is LEGAL for this guy to wear a gun on his hip. That is the TRUTH. It is legal. He doesn't have to explain himself, he's not breaking any laws.

The cops were wrong to stop him and they knew it. That's why they let him go. But if he didn't know his rights and stand up for himself they would've been all over him, harrassing him, checking his ID, etc. etc. And that's not right. The law is the law.

If someone doesn't like a law they can start a movement to try and change it. Otherwise you have to comply with it and not harrass people who are within the law.

Truthmatters, it is LEGAL for this guy to wear a gun on his hip. That is the TRUTH. It is legal. He doesn't have to explain himself, he's not breaking any laws.

The cops were wrong to stop him and they knew it. That's why they let him go. But if he didn't know his rights and stand up for himself they would've been all over him, harrassing him, checking his ID, etc. etc. And that's not right. The law is the law.

If someone doesn't like a law they can start a movement to try and change it. Otherwise you have to comply with it and not harrass people who are within the law.

It was quite reasonable for the police to ask him. And they were quite right to let him on his way when he gave them his explanation of what he was doing.

But let's be clear on one thing - he was absolutely doing it to get a reaction....

That cop was a complete weenie.

No wonder they only let him on a bike.

The cop is a total weenie.

Yup.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone more aptly fit the weenie description.

Sheesh.

Do you think Mexicans should show an ID when stopped by the cops?

Yup.

Sheesh.

How do you know someone is Mexican?

Sheesh.

How do you know someone is Mexican?

If they'er short brown skinned dark haired eating a lot of rice and beans can't speak english found near border states chances are they are mexican

Last edited:

Forum List

Back