My boyo is getting glasses...

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Vision screening at school turned up some issues, so I took him in and he's got some significant vision issues. Astigmatism in both eyes, pretty severe in the right one to the point that even with glasses he won't be 20/20. Plus that eye is lazy (it doesn't look lazy, but it is) so if he doesn't improve in the first 6 weeks after he gets his glasses, he may have to wear a patch over the other eye to improve the functionality of the bad eye.

But the BAD thing was...they dilated his pupils! Poor baby, I didn't know they were going to do that (I've never had my eyes dilated and I've worn glasses for decades!) so I assured him the whole week up to the appointment that they wouldn't be doing anything uncomfortable. I'm now a liar.

But he did get cool disposable sunglasses to wear. His eyes were insanely dilated, still are!

For being a good boy he got a Ben 10 Alien Force "watch" that has a light and three discs with different figures (multiple) on them, so he turns on his watch and he shoots an alien beam against whatever wall he's got. Pretty cool.

He is ADORABLE in glasses, though.

Is he farsighted nor near? My dad had that, he had to wear a patch over his good eye, it didn't help. He ended up going blind in the left eye. Don't worry though Mom because technology as grown heaps and bounds in this area since the 1950's

Vision screening at school turned up some issues, so I took him in and he's got some significant vision issues. Astigmatism in both eyes, pretty severe in the right one to the point that even with glasses he won't be 20/20. Plus that eye is lazy (it doesn't look lazy, but it is) so if he doesn't improve in the first 6 weeks after he gets his glasses, he may have to wear a patch over the other eye to improve the functionality of the bad eye.

But the BAD thing was...they dilated his pupils! Poor baby, I didn't know they were going to do that (I've never had my eyes dilated and I've worn glasses for decades!) so I assured him the whole week up to the appointment that they wouldn't be doing anything uncomfortable. I'm now a liar.

But he did get cool disposable sunglasses to wear. His eyes were insanely dilated, still are!

For being a good boy he got a Ben 10 Alien Force "watch" that has a light and three discs with different figures (multiple) on them, so he turns on his watch and he shoots an alien beam against whatever wall he's got. Pretty cool.

"Nature makes no mistakes." He is going to become the head of his class and anything else in life, he wishes. He will now try harder.

• Banned
I think he's farsighted.
I have 3 boyos, Eagle.
The Democrat eye is the crappy one.
OMIGOD he could go BLIND? Nobody said anything about that! Now I'm freaked out!

• Banned
And thanks Aqua, I have hopes that he will be the head of his class. He's already the #1 boyo....there's only one other boy in his class.
Three girls in his class, though. One will give him a run for his money, though more using head games than actual scholarly adroitness.

Yeah, they never tell you about dilating your eyes until they do it.:eusa_eh:

I don't agree with the patch thingy. I had an eye patched for a few days and the one that isn't patched can't focus on anything. The strain is too much trying to compensate for the other eye. I don't see (no pun intended :lol:) how that helps.

....if you cant see that its lazy its not much of a problem...the patch works by making the lazy eye work harder...they did explain to you that it is a muscle problem....the muscle of the lazy eye are weak ...they need exercise....

here is some info, dont let it scare you...

What is Lazy Eye or Amblyopia? Causes, Diagnosis, Detection, Treatment, Therapy, Surgery, Scientific Research, Pediatric, InfantSee, National Eye Institute NEI studies study

and lets remember this...there may be unicorns...they may exist but lets not waste our time and energy looking for them

Can Tetris fix lazy eye?...
:confused:
Playing Tetris video game 'fixes lazy eye', doctors say
22 April 2013 - Canadian doctors say they have found an inventive way to treat lazy eye - playing the Tetris video game.
The McGill University team discovered the popular tile-matching puzzle could train both eyes to work together. In a small study, in Current Biology with 18 adults, it worked better than conventional patching of the good eye to make the weak one work harder. The researchers now want to test if it would be a good way to treat children with the same condition. UK studies are already under way. An estimated one in 50 children has lazy eye, known medically as amblyopia.

It happens when the vision in one eye does not develop properly, and is often accompanied by a squint - where the eyes do not look in the same direction. Without treatment it can lead to a permanent loss of vision in the weak eye, which is why doctors try to intervene early. Normally, the treatment is to cover the strong eye with a patch so that the child is forced to use their lazy eye. The child must wear the patch for much of the day over many months, which can be frustrating and unpleasant.

Learning through play

Dr Robert Hess and colleagues in Montreal set out to investigate whether a different approach might work. Armed with a special pair of video goggles they set up an experiment that would make both eyes work as a team. Nine volunteers with amblyopia were asked to wear the goggles for an hour a day over the next two weeks while playing Tetris, the falling building block video game. The goggles allowed one eye to see only the falling objects, while the other eye could see only the blocks that accumulate on the ground in the game. For comparison, another group of nine volunteers with amblyopia wore similar goggles but had their good eye covered, and watched the whole game through only their lazy eye. At the end of the two weeks, the group who used both eyes had more improvement in their vision than the patched group. The researchers then let the patched group have a go at using the goggles with both eyes uncovered. Their vision then improved significantly.

Patching 'may be hindrance'

Dr Hess said the treatment could be a good alternative to patching, particularly for adults because they tend not to benefit from this anyway. And any number of computer games could work - not just Tetris. He said: "When we get the two eyes working together, we find the vision improves. "It's much better than patching, much more enjoyable, it's faster and it seems to work better." He said his research and other studies suggest amblyopia is actually a two-eye problem and that patching the good eye may hinder rather than help the weak one. Forcing both eyes to co-operate increases the level of plasticity or adaptability in the brain and allows the weak eye to relearn how to see, he said.

BBC News - Playing Tetris video game 'fixes lazy eye', doctors say

Forum List

Back