My Analysis of Tuesday GOP Convention Speeches

Since the Inquisition happened back in like 1300 AD, an apology from Pope John Paul II SEVEN HUNDRED YEARS LATER seems a bit belated. And just between you and me, Joe? The Catholic religion gave us not only the Spanish Inquisition but the Crusades and many other armed conflicts in the name of their religious beliefs...killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process. What heinous crimes against humanity has the Mormon Church committed? Enlighten this old history major...

The Inquistion lasted from 1480 and didn't end until 1834. The last person it executed was a Deist. If you call yourself a history major and don't even know those basic facts, I'm not sure you can be "enlightened".

But look up.

Mountain Meadow Massacre
Utah War
Kirtland Bank Scandal

Read up on the White Horse Prophecy....

Catholics brought us 300 years of the Inquisition, Joe...that doesn't mean you shouldn't associate with one today. Your "Mormon phobia" is baseless.

The Catholic Church has apologized for the Inquisition.

I'm still waiting for the Mormon Church to apologize for... well, anything.

And what exactly do we have to apologize for?

Existing. Lying to people for all those years... for starters.

They riffed the whole evening on President Obama's quote "You Didn't Build That", continuing to take it out of context. Obama was talking about how it takes all of us working together to get stuff like roads and bridges done, which then allow for small businesses to flourish.

But Republicans take it to mean that self-reliance is frowned upon while suckin' on the gov't teat is the ONLY way.

Ann Romney said that Mitt Romney wasn't given anything, and built himself up on his own. Does anybody really believe that?

They stand there, hypocrites the lot of them, trying to say that self-reliance and self-reliance alone was responsible for their successes, but the facts don't bare that out. Indeed, they did NOT build themselves up alone. It was a mix of being given help by both other family members and the government and then, finally, self-reliance and hard work and determination that got them where they are today.

Their hypocrisy is just so fucking lame to watch. They stand there and believe the crap they're peddling in their own invented reality.

They didn't take it out of context. Obama believes we can't do shit without governmental intervention.

Seems to me Obama is the worst hypocrite I've ever seen in the Oval Office. A guy that never takes the blame for his decisions and always takes credit when he doesn't deserve it. He actually thinks he can get away with saying nothing we have, nothing we've worked for belongs to us. He thinks he can get away with criticizing success.

It's obvious your assessment is biased. It is totally ass-backwards.

Last edited:
They didn't take it out of context. Obama believes we can't do shit without governmental intervention.

Seems to me Obama is the worst hypocrite I've ever seen in the Oval Office. A guy that never takes the blame for his decisions and always takes credit when he doesn't deserve it. He actually thinks he can get away with saying nothing we have, nothing we've worked for belongs to us. He thinks he can get away with criticizing success.

How dare he point out the obvious?

Any success we have is because government has created the enviroment where we can succeed.

At Mitt was happy to have his hand out for govenrment contracts just like the rest of them.

How dare he point out the obvious?

Any success we have is because government has created the enviroment where we can succeed.

At Mitt was happy to have his hand out for govenrment contracts just like the rest of them.

What universe do you exist in Joe? In "mine" if you want something to take twice as long to get done and cost three times the original estimate...you let the government do it. The government has created the environment where we can succeed? The truth is...Americans now struggle to succeed DESPITE the environment that the government has created.

Governors' Walker, Kasich, Christie and McDonnell spoke earlier tonight, along with Ann Romney.

Romney and Christie were the big-two speakers, with Mitt's wife warming her husband up and Christie delivering the keynote.

There was an interesting theme that played out: They all talked about an era in America when their parents or grandparents came to the country with nothing and made something of themselves.

They riffed the whole evening on President Obama's quote "You Didn't Build That", continuing to take it out of context. Obama was talking about how it takes all of us working together to get stuff like roads and bridges done, which then allow for small businesses to flourish.

But Republicans take it to mean that self-reliance is frowned upon while suckin' on the gov't teat is the ONLY way.

So then they all get to talking about a bygone era where their folks and grandfolks came here with nothing and made something of themselves. That's all nice and good, but the G.I. Bill got Gov. Christie's dad his education.

Rick Santorum took public money to home school his kids. Most people do.

The Public Works Administration, which came to be under FDR, and which was signed off by both cons and libs, put the country back to work, giving some of their ancestors jobs.

A gov't bailout of Salt Lake City allowed for Mitt Romney to turn the Olympics around.

Gov't action in Mass. passed by Romney allowed for scholarships for thousands of kids out there.

Ann Romney said that Mitt Romney wasn't given anything, and built himself up on his own. Does anybody really believe that?

They stand there, hypocrites the lot of them, trying to say that self-reliance and self-reliance alone was responsible for their successes, but the facts don't bare that out. Indeed, they did NOT build themselves up alone. It was a mix of being given help by both other family members and the government and then, finally, self-reliance and hard work and determination that got them where they are today.

Their hypocrisy is just so fucking lame to watch. They stand there and believe the crap they're peddling in their own invented reality.

color me shocked, now will your analysis of the DNC be the same? guess not huh?

Since the Inquisition happened back in like 1300 AD, an apology from Pope John Paul II SEVEN HUNDRED YEARS LATER seems a bit belated. And just between you and me, Joe? The Catholic religion gave us not only the Spanish Inquisition but the Crusades and many other armed conflicts in the name of their religious beliefs...killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process. What heinous crimes against humanity has the Mormon Church committed? Enlighten this old history major...

The Inquistion lasted from 1480 and didn't end until 1834. The last person it executed was a Deist. If you call yourself a history major and don't even know those basic facts, I'm not sure you can be "enlightened".

But look up.

Mountain Meadow Massacre
Utah War
Kirtland Bank Scandal

Read up on the White Horse Prophecy....

The first Inquisition was a Papal bull issued by Pope Gregory IX in response to alleged "heresy" in France during the mid 1200's. The "Spanish Inquisition" started in 1480. If that was any indication of an attempt to "enlighten" me then it was rather pathetic.

As for conflicts between Mormons and US authorities? A whopping 120 people died in the Mountain Meadow Massacre. None died in the Utah War. Why you even brought up a failed bank scandal escapes me. So you're comparing the deaths of 120 people in a single attack with hundreds of years of oppression by the Catholic Church that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent people? If THAT is the sum total of Mormon "atrocities" then all I can say is that compared to other religions they are one of the most peaceful groups in the history of religion.

What is so "ominous" about the White Horse Prophecy? Several Mormon leaders over the course of several hundred years saying that when the Constitution of the United States "hangs by a thread" that it will be Mormons that defend that document? Wow! Shocking stuff, Joe!

Last edited:
What universe do you exist in Joe? In "mine" if you want something to take twice as long to get done and cost three times the original estimate...you let the government do it. The government has created the environment where we can succeed? The truth is...Americans now struggle to succeed DESPITE the environment that the government has created.

The sad thing is, you probably beleive that horseshit.

I've worked for the government and the private sector. Frankly, there's no real difference.

You have the same amount of bad ideas, big egos, tiny minds and slacking off if you can get away with it in both...

The first Inquisition was a Papal bull issued by Pope Gregory IX in response to alleged "heresy" in France during the mid 1200's. The "Spanish Inquisition" started in 1480. If that was any indication of an attempt to "enlighten" me then it was rather pathetic.

Well, some people refused to be "enlightened". Frankly, I'm not going to defend the Catholic Church, just point out they APOLOGIZED!

As for conflicts between Mormons and US authorities? A whopping 120 people died in the Mountain Meadow Massacre. None died in the Utah War. Why you even brought up a failed bank scandal escapes me. So you're comparing the deaths of 120 people in a single attack with hundreds of years of oppression by the Catholic Church that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of innocent people? If THAT is the sum total of Mormon "atrocities" then all I can say is that compared to other religions they are one of the most peaceful groups in the history of religion.!

The Mormons were still pulling this shit within the last 200 years, that's kind of the difference.

What is so "ominous" about the White Horse Prophecy? Several Mormon leaders over the course of several hundred years saying that when the Constitution of the United States "hangs by a thread" that it will be Mormons that defend that document? Wow! Shocking stuff, Joe!

That's not what the prophecy says... It says they'll save the country by imposing a theocracy, which is kind of the exact oppossite of preserving a constitution that promises freedom of religion and separation of Church and State.

Forum List

Back