My $500 rat

(I've been meaning to take some pics... When I get some time.)

Here's a pic I took last night.

View attachment 8841

The cage is from Martin's Cages. If you want to get a rodent for a pet, rats are the best. They are the cleanest of all the rodents, most intelligent, very tame, and love attention.

Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

The Ruud Cage (R-699)

* 30" x 18" x 60"
* Seven levels
* Six ramps
* Four balconies
* Two full floors
* One full solid bottom floor (pan is bottom floor of cage)
* Drop-in 3½" deep black plastic pan
Sweet!

the whole thing just gives me the heebeejeebees
Do you like squirrels? I've raised orphan baby squirrels. They are so lovable. You learn more about rodent behavior when you interact with them as their surrogate mother than you see from their outdoor behavior. They are very affectionate and playful. Rats are just squirrels with bald tails. I've never had one but having raise other rodents I'm sure I would get no less attached to one than I did my squirrels or my rabbits or my guinea pigs or my mice. Maybe even more because rats are so smart and inquisitive.

I think you did the right thing in taking Maybe to the vet. Sorry to hear that she has passed. I'm one of those people who believes that when someone takes responsibility for an animal by taking them into their home; that responsibility includes the possibility of veterinary care. No matter the animal's price. It's a shame that we have so-called "disposable pets" in pet stores. If someone believes that an animal that costs less and does not have a long life span does not deserve all treatment available, then that person should not purchase the animal, nor bring a "free" animal into their home. Once an animal is in your care; you are responsible for that animal's well-being. We have the choice; they do not.

I had a $400 budgie. And she was worth every penny.

A pet is a pet. If you and your family love it and want to keep it well with your money, then more power to you!

It's a cute little thing, isn't it?

How do you keep your kitties from wanting him for dinner?

(The reason I ask is I had some pet mice in high school my sister gave me, came home from school and the cat had broken into the cage and no more little ones............ :( )

:)

The cats are constantly trying to eat the rats and the dogs are constantly trying to eat the cats. (We even have one cat that attacks another cat, so we have to watch her closely.) It's a never-ending battle.

A cat won't eat a rat, and only brave ones kill them.

They do eat mice, head first.

Look to the rat's diet if it's not doing well. Stop feeding it whatever you've been feeding it consistently and change to something else.

I let the boys get a couple of white rats when they were young. We fed them dog food, because they liked dog food.

We gave them a weekly bath when we cleaned their cage..they loved the water and the flexible shower nozzle, they'd play in the water, swim around. I did all this, of course, despite the fact the FUCKING FREAKED ME OUT WITH THEIR WEIRD TEETH AND NASTY BALD TAILS.

But I did it.

They didn't get large and eventually one got sick. I took it to the vet and she asked me, "What have you been feeding it?" I said "oh, you know, human food and Ol'Roy (or whatever we were feeding our Rottie mixes). They love the dogfood and it keeps their teeth down."

She said "Oooh....they have little innards..that stuff is deadly."

And shore enough it wuz. They lived a year or so, and died from dog food digestion congestion, apparently. The bone meal is too much for them.

Last edited:
I don't have a recent picture of her, but she looks like this:

pn13-rpcoolpet.JPG

Her name is Maybe.

We bought her for $5 from a breeder. Recently, she contracted a severe respiratory disease. I thought she was going to die, so we took her to an emergency clinic.

Vet bill: $311
Medication: $55

She got better. All was well.

On Monday, she was acting like she was drunk. Back to the vet. She got better, but the vet didn't know why.

Vet bill: $167

Total (not including food, cage, Kelloggs Yogos, etc.): $538

(I can only imagine the upcoming posts. Perhaps I should've put this is the Flame Zone.)

:happy-1:AWWWW!!!! What a cute fuzzy little critter!!!

I think you stole my rat! Lol no, i had mine many years ago but she (her name was Nora) looked exactly like maybe. Rats are very smart and much cleaner then most people think... well pet rats, those city ones are'nt rat's they are monsters. If you see something terribly ugly and twice the size of a cat on a city street grab your child (if you have one) and run the other way. They are a bit aggressive. Anywho pet rats are great, sorry for your loss but happy you have given WALL-E some company! What a deluxe rat mansion you have!

A pet is a pet. If you and your family love it and want to keep it well with your money, then more power to you!

It's a cute little thing, isn't it?

How do you keep your kitties from wanting him for dinner?

(The reason I ask is I had some pet mice in high school my sister gave me, came home from school and the cat had broken into the cage and no more little ones............ :( )

:lol: My 2 grandkids have Hamsters, some bad ass little Buggers.My son went out and bought himself a cat, and one day, the cat got lose, and turned over the Hamster cage,:eek::lol: HUH!!! Guess what? The 2 Hamsters attacked the cat, one on one side and the other on the other side. The cat freaked out and ran like hell. H e does not mess with those little critters anymore.Now he just watches them at a distance.Smart Kitty!!!

Forum List

Back