My 5 point solution to the dinosaur Post Office troubles.

Your solutions aren't the fix, MM. What yours would do IS kill the post office.
Yes this is the 21st century, but we still need the post office....I'm not a big fan of it, and yea, I did work for it for 30 years. I know where the waste is in the post office, and it's in mid to upper level management. There is where the savings would come from.
Think about the fix. Then look at what hasn't been tried repeatedly.

Earlier you said no one would use USPS electronic mail? Come now.

And it wasn't a .gov I was suggesting. I get the feeling you really didn't read what I had to say.

I read what you posted...I just used .gov, isn't that just symantics?
People aren't going to pay for the service, MM. Why would people want it if they needed to pay for it? There are a ton of free sites on the internet right now that would suffice.
Folks pay here. They would pay there.

Online "prestige." Never underestimate it.

Think about the fix. Then look at what hasn't been tried repeatedly.

Earlier you said no one would use USPS electronic mail? Come now.

And it wasn't a .gov I was suggesting. I get the feeling you really didn't read what I had to say.

People aren't going to pay for the service, MM. Why would people want it if they needed to pay for it? There are a ton of free sites on the internet right now that would suffice.

Most on this board don't pay, MM. It's a free site for the most part.

Most on this board don't pay, MM. It's a free site for the most part.
No kidding. But you still see alot of paying members. USPS could get 20 million subscribers easily, all paying $10 annually.
Do you remember the dot com boom.....then do you remember the dot com bust?
It's a different world today.

Hmmm ... well, there used to be the "poker parties" at my house that made me nervous as hell. My ex and some of his carrier friends killed time because they had finished their routes and had time to kill before going back to the PO to clock out for the day. After he got a real job he did very well for himself - steadily moving upward and not really afraid of work.

I guess I'm just jaundiced having worked at both the federal and state government levels. Too many employees doing way too little work at jobs where they are pretty much guaranteed employment until they decide to retire. I thought I was going to lose my mind at all the human waste, the procedural waste, the paper waste, the time waste, the inability to make decisions ...just wasn't my cup of tea.

when did your husband work for the PO?....if i might ask....

1...That's the idea. Slough off the massive bulk, trim it down to higher profit mailers. Get the dollars per pound processed down. Raising bulk mailing rates would cut probably only a small amount of the poundage, by the way, but would greatly jack up revenue. Let's not panic, and chicken little it by saying we can't jack those rates before we jack the rates on the folks.2...Lower it. Who gives a flying red rat's ass about what the rest of the world's postal rates are.
3.....Here we see a large amount of the problem.The food ads really aren't the junk, the SPAM I am talking about. Plus, anything signed up for isn't junk, by definition. Most people DO hate unsolicited junk mail. Plus, it's a landfill filler, not very fucking green. It's wasteful.4....Maybe because it is NOT a government agency? The image of the PO is flagging, look at the financial trouble its in!5...You might read back and find where I said "stop flat rate shipping." You won't find it. I said, get a better ad campaign that incorporates that service instead of wasting advert dollars focusing ONLY on that.

6....Also, I see you had no comment about embracing the internet. No answer for why a potential $200 million of annual revenue is being ignored. I'll wait.

1....the PO cannot pick and choose who they want for Customers,they have to mail whatever someone brings in....and they have to charge a uniform rate for everyone....
2....talk to Congress about that....and then the Postal Rate Commision....and then the Board of Governors
3....so now its "SELECTIVE" junk mail....well thats the way most people are anyway....and hey if you got a bitch about the land fill shit.....talk to the MAILERS" the PO just delivers it...
4....and yes it IS a Govt Agency....and our image does not falter because business is down...all business's are down,when the economy does good,mailings are up,if everyone is down,so is the amount of mail.....
5.....if the ad campaign is not to your liking....send in your idea....all i know is ....Priority Mail Parcel volume is up in my office...
6....and i did comment on the internet,you just missed it.....they would have to have Congress ok that and then make the laws and go through this commitee and that commitee....and 20 years later they would be in business

Last edited:
Also remove the government from the management of the postal service.

Allow the post office to act as a corporation and control their prices, control their wages, and control their hours of operation.

The P.O. has so much trouble for the very reason i'm against government getting involved in health care.....the government is involved.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" -9 scariest words in the english language when strung together (Paraphrased RR)

the Govt does not run it....they own it and they control it.....meaning the PO has got to get permission to take a piss.....but the operation is run by the management in the PO....

The management is restricted by the government in what actions it can and can not perform. Hence the government "runs" the post office. If it wasn't for the governments restrictions on stuff, like what I described above, the post office wouldn't have a problem.
thats what i meant by "they control it".....but as far as the day to day operation the Postal Mang. runs that on their own....

Forum List

Back