Mutant Seafood in the Gulf

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
The aftermath of the BP spill continues:

Al Jazeera just published an astonishing report on the after-effects of the BP oil disaster, and it's not pretty. There are an alarming number of deformities in sea creatures: mutated shrimp, fish with sores and lesions, eyeless crabs and more. It's unlike anything local fisherman have ever seen.

And why in the fuck do we have to rely on news outlets like Al Jazeera to publish this stuff. Why aren't mainstream news outlets in the U.S. still following this story?

BP Oil Spill Aftermath: Eyeless Shrimp, Clawless Crabs and Fish with Oozing Sores

Sickening.

The aftermath of the BP spill continues:

Al Jazeera just published an astonishing report on the after-effects of the BP oil disaster, and it's not pretty. There are an alarming number of deformities in sea creatures: mutated shrimp, fish with sores and lesions, eyeless crabs and more. It's unlike anything local fisherman have ever seen.

And why in the fuck do we have to rely on news outlets like Al Jazeera to publish this stuff. Why aren't mainstream news outlets in the U.S. still following this story?

BP Oil Spill Aftermath: Eyeless Shrimp, Clawless Crabs and Fish with Oozing Sores

Sickening.

It's because there are much more important stories going on in the MSM like Obama eating dog meat as a child and Romney spraying his dog down with a hose after making it ride in a car carrier on top of the family car. Things like mutant sea creatures are just stories like Creature From the Black Lagoon. We want real stories about who eats dog meat and who sprays their dog down with a hose after it shit all over the car.

Shrimp and crabs are bellwether species, dramatic evidence of genetic mutation is something to be worried about. We have been using the Gulf for a chemical dump and toilet for a long time, I feel we will see the day when its entire eco-system collapses.

I'm calling bullshit on this

I live on the gulf and half the people I know are shrimpers and fishermen. I think they are closer to the story than Al Jazeera.

This is how you make yourself look like an ass by not clicking on the link in the OP before shooting off your mouth. Al Jazeera interviewed shrimpers and fishermen in gulf states, as well as the university researchers who have been studying the problem.

I am no fan of Al Jazeera, but the US news media has not bothered to research and report on the issue in recent months.

However, now, the WSJ is reporting on the story:

Spill Toll on Shellfish Slow to Become Clear - WSJ.com

A couple of money quotes:

New Orleans, LA - "The fishermen have never seen anything like this," Dr Jim Cowan told Al Jazeera. "And in my 20 years working on red snapper, looking at somewhere between 20 and 30,000 fish, I've never seen anything like this either."

Dr Cowan, with Louisiana State University's Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences started hearing about fish with sores and lesions from fishermen in November 2010.

Cowan's findings replicate those of others living along vast areas of the Gulf Coast that have been impacted by BP's oil and dispersants.

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP's 2010 oil disaster.

More:

Gulf fisheries in decline after oil disaster - Features - Al Jazeera English

You will not catch liberalism by clicking on these links. I promise.

Obama personally went down there to inspect the oil spill clean-up. After witch he swam out in the water & said it was safe. So Al Jazeera has to be lying.

Forum List

Back