Mussolini stalks the land again

Italian mayor under house arrest for helping migrants

A mayor in Italy has been put under house arrest for allegedly helping illegal migrants.

Domenico Lucano was placed under home confinement in the early hours of Tuesday morning, prosecutors said.

The 60-year-old is the mayor of Riace, a town in southern Italy's poor Calabria region.

A statement said Mr Lucano had organised arranged marriages with "particular ruthlessness" between locals and immigrant women, and had set up "simple yet efficient" systems aimed at bypassing rules for migrants to be granted entrance to Italy.

He would have approved of this.

The mayor was breaking the law, and forcing marriages.

And you are upset that he has been sort of arrested?

Where does it say he forced anybody ?

What the hell do you think an arranged marriage is?
Its a form of marriage. We have friends who had an arranged marriage. They are very happy together and would not have got married if it had not suited them. They were not coerced in any way.
It wouldnt have suited me but its not my culture.

Arranged marriages by families do have a greater chance of success than marriages based on romantic attraction.

However, marriages arranged by the state ... that doesn't smack you as the slightest bit Orwellian?

531921eb-7ce7-4a14-a682-2f15ddf33a9e_screenshot.jpg

A mayor in Italy has been put under house arrest for allegedly helping illegal migrants.

Domenico Lucano was placed under home confinement in the early hours of Tuesday morning, prosecutors said.

The 60-year-old is the mayor of Riace, a town in southern Italy's poor Calabria region.

A statement said Mr Lucano had organised arranged marriages with "particular ruthlessness" between locals and immigrant women, and had set up "simple yet efficient" systems aimed at bypassing rules for migrants to be granted entrance to Italy.

Its a form of marriage. We have friends who had an arranged marriage. They are very happy together and would not have got married if it had not suited them. They were not coerced in any way.

Sometimes that is the case, sometimes very much not.

Often it is not, and YOUR LINK reports that his arranged marriages were "particular ruthlessness".

Dude. He sounds like a fucking monster.

There are 1.6 Billion people in Africa and the Middle East
Europeans had better get control of their illegal immigration crisis before it overwhelms them.

immigrationeurope.jpg

Last edited:

Arranged marriages by families do have a greater chance of success than marriages based on romantic attraction.

However, marriages arranged by the state ... that doesn't smack you as the slightest bit Orwellian?

It probably would do if that were the case. But based on the article it sounds more like a local official who is matching up immigrants and local lonelyhearts. Godd luck to them and good luck to the Mayor who finds himself persecuted by a bunch of right wing loons.

We have friends who had an arranged marriage. They are very happy together and would not have got married if it had not suited them.

Tammy once opined that he had his ingrown toenail successfully treated by the NHS - ergo the NHS is perfect and no one else ever experienced any negatives in the NHS.

Tammy ‘knows’ a happy couple in an arranged marriage, ergo all arranged marriages are fabulous and none of the women (girls) experience any horror whatsoever.

Brought to you by TammyTardLogic™️
Tammy is special.

His needs doubly so.......

You do understand, don't you, that Tammy mistook 1984 for an instruction manual rather than a cautionary tale?

it sounds more like a local official who is matching up immigrants and local lonelyhearts.

That is the textbook definition of a state-arranged marriage.

201321785140921734_20.jpg
No,you are reading too much into it. When the movie is made Nick Cage will play the lonely mayor and Thandie Newton will play a progressive Doctor who was forced to flee government forces who disapproved of her looking after wounded freedom fighters.

After a certain amount of antipathy they eventually find love and are about to get married before the state jackboots intervene and lock him up.

I wont tell you how it ends because I dont want to spoil it.

it sounds more like a local official who is matching up immigrants and local lonelyhearts.

No,you are reading too much into it. When the movie is made Nick Cage will play the lonely mayor and Thandie Newton will play a progressive Doctor who was forced to flee government forces who disapproved of her looking after wounded freedom fighters.

After a certain amount of antipathy they eventually find love and are about to get married before the state jackboots intervene and lock him up.

But, we're not talking about a lonely mayor played by an actor with limited drawing power who marries a refugee. We're talking about a mayor who, using the authority of the state, is telling people with whom they should be having intimate relations. He might be doing it for benevolent reasons (all despots believe themselves to be benevolent). He might be doing it help immigrants assimilate. Or, he might be doing it to breed a new race of super soldiers. It doesn't matter.

Regardless of the intentions, it's evil.

But, we're not talking about a lonely mayor played by an actor with limited drawing power who marries a refugee. We're talking about a mayor who, using the authority of the state, is telling people with whom they should be having intimate relations. He might be doing it for benevolent reasons (all despots believe themselves to be benevolent). He might be doing it help immigrants assimilate. Or, he might be doing it to breed a new race of super soldiers. It doesn't matter.

You are being melodramatic. He has no power to compel anybody to do anything. He is just the mayor.

You are being melodramatic. He has no power to compel anybody to do anything. He is just the mayor.

It's not melodrama to acknowledge that the state is the only legitimate entity that can exercise force over the individual. Persons who don't acquiesce to the dictates of the state are, by definition, enemies of the state.

If you don't follow the dictates of the state they can ... tax you, take away services, take away any benefits you might receive, fine you, incarcerate you, even execute you.

All those actions are legitimately available to the state and you see no issue in the state choosing with whom you will be intimate? Are you being obtuse for argument's sake or do you truly not see the repercussions of what you're advocating?

As an example, I will hold up China's 'one child policy', the unintended consequence of, there are millions of unmarried men in China for lack of female cohorts.

Please tell me which of those powers this mayor has.
You are being ridiculous.
He isnt the state,he is a victim of the state.

He isnt the state,he is a victim of the state.

One of the great, perhaps the greatest, aspect of modern democracy is that state officials who exceed the authority granted to them by the state can be removed from office or even punished for exceeding that authority.

In this case, the mayor abused the powers of his office and will face punishment. The system worked.

Yes, the authority of a mayor is limited, in some cases even ceremonial. But, any authority figure, regardless of their powers, can use that badge of authority to coerce. Imagine if a CEO (I know how much you guys hate them) set a company policy dictating with whom you must be intimate. Obviously any person has the right to quit. But, they're being forced to make a decision, an economic one. 'Will I marry who the company says, or will I give up my livelihood?" How would you feel about that CEO? Would you say he was being persecuted if he were sacked, or worse, because of that policy?

If you accept the concept that the state has a legitimate right to coerce the intimate decisions of your life, then you can't use the argument , "It was just one mayor". You're legitimizing the concept of state-mandated intimacy.

Tammy hates women so it’s all good with him.

Tammy likes his women with a big package

He isnt the state,he is a victim of the state.[/QUOTE

One of the great, perhaps the greatest, aspect of modern democracy is that state officials who exceed the authority granted to them by the state can be removed from office or even punished for exceeding that authority.

In this case, the mayor abused the powers of his office and will face punishment. The system worked.

Yes, the authority of a mayor is limited, in some cases even ceremonial. But, any authority figure, regardless of their powers, can use that badge of authority to coerce. Imagine if a CEO (I know how much you guys hate them) set a company policy dictating with whom you must be intimate. Obviously any person has the right to quit. But, they're being forced to make a decision, an economic one. 'Will I marry who the company says, or will I give up my livelihood?" How would you feel about that CEO? Would you say he was being persecuted if he were sacked, or worse, because of that policy?

If you accept the concept that the state has a legitimate right to coerce the intimate decisions of your life, then you can't use the argument , "It was just one mayor". You're legitimizing the concept of state-mandated intimacy.

But you have no proof of coercion. You don't have a single complainant.
I wholeheartedly agree with you about being alert to the dangers of state control though.

For example I heard of a country where they arrest parents and take their babies away from them. They then put the infant's in concentration camps and then 'lose' them. That is a great example of abuse of power but it is such an extreme story I doubt that it is true. At least not in a civilised country.

Forum List

Back