Muslims Want Catholic School to Provide Room Without Crosses

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

Catholic University has been accused of violating the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers, according to a complaint filed with the Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights.

The 60-page complaint said Muslim students “must perform their prayers surrounded by symbols of Catholicism – e.g., a wooden crucifix, paintings of Jesus, pictures of priests and theologians which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”...

Banzhaf said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels “and at the cathedral that looms over the entire campus – the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.”

Muslims Want Catholic School to Provide Room Without Crosses | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

:eusa_hand:

They need to find a different school if they are so 'offended'.

So they are offended because a Catholic University is Catholic.... that's absurd.

The university has not allowed Muslim students to form a Muslim student group and to let them have a plain room without Christian symbols for their daily prayers.

The university wants to take their money but treat them like second class students. It's bull.

They may be a Catholic university, but unless they only want Catholic students they ought to be more sensitive to other religions and cultures.

Last edited:
The university has not allowed Muslim students to form a Muslim student group and to let them have a plain room without Christian symbols for their daily prayers.

The university wants to take their money but treat them like second class students. It's bull.

So if I go to a Muslim school they should accomadate my Christian beliefs?

What is BULLSHIT is a Muslim CHOOSING to attend a CHRISTIAN School and then demanding religious favors.

What is BULLSHIT is a Muslim CHOOSING to attend a CHRISTIAN School and then demanding religious favors.

What is bullshit is a university getting public funding while discriminating. What else is new with you RGS? You hate Muslims. We get it.

I don't see what the big deal is. Are the Catholics similarly insensitive to Jews?

Last edited:

They may be a Catholic university, but unless they only want Catholic students they ought to be more sensitive to other religions and cultures.

My public university never provided a room for my faith...it was housed in an off campus building.

What is bullshit is a university getting public funding while discriminating. What else is new with you RGS? You hate Muslims. We get it.

Provide evidence this CATHOLIC college is a Public one. nd last I checked if it were wouldn't we have a problem with all the CATHOLIC symbols?

The Human Rights Act generally prohibits denying students equal access to university facilities based upon factors like religion, sex, or sexual orientation unless there is a "business necessity": i.e., without the discrimination, the entity would literally go out of business.

"There is no way that Catholic University can show that it is a 'business necessity' to discriminate against Muslim students by denying them access to the same benefits other student groups enjoy, especially since many Catholic universities, including nearby Georgetown University, permit associations of Muslim students, and courts have held that any such denial cannot lawfully be based even on the most deeply held religious beliefs," says Prof. Banzhaf, who has won more than one hundred discrimination cases under the Act.

Catholic U's President Must Answer New Charges of Illegal Discrimination Against Muslims and Women

The Human Rights Act generally prohibits denying students equal access to university facilities based upon factors like religion, sex, or sexual orientation unless there is a "business necessity": i.e., without the discrimination, the entity would literally go out of business.

"There is no way that Catholic University can show that it is a 'business necessity' to discriminate against Muslim students by denying them access to the same benefits other student groups enjoy, especially since many Catholic universities, including nearby Georgetown University, permit associations of Muslim students, and courts have held that any such denial cannot lawfully be based even on the most deeply held religious beliefs," says Prof. Banzhaf, who has won more than one hundred discrimination cases under the Act.

Catholic U's President Must Answer New Charges of Illegal Discrimination Against Muslims and Women

Provide evidence it is a Public school.

Don't you know, the university and the land under it belong to allah.

Provide evidence it is a Public school.

Recently the Catholic University of America wanted the Obama administration to exempt Catholic colleges from morally offensive regulations. Had this institution not accepted federal funding this would not even be an issue. The Federal Government is not saying you cannot practice your religion, but it is saying if you accept federal funding you must obey the law.

This has absolutely nothing to do with First Amendment rights of Catholic institutions to be and act faithfully Catholic. If this is the priority than a reasonable question is why are such Catholic institutions accepting Federal Funding.

Catholic Identity or Federal Funding? | Rainbow Sash Movement

Don't you know, the university and the land under it belong to allah.

Another bitter anti-islamic bigot.

CaféAuLait;4324343 said:

Catholic University has been accused of violating the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers, according to a complaint filed with the Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights.

The 60-page complaint said Muslim students “must perform their prayers surrounded by symbols of Catholicism – e.g., a wooden crucifix, paintings of Jesus, pictures of priests and theologians which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”...

Banzhaf said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels “and at the cathedral that looms over the entire campus – the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.”

Muslims Want Catholic School to Provide Room Without Crosses | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

:eusa_hand:

They need to find a different school if they are so 'offended'.

ya know what...

fuck them.... find a different school if you dont like it.

Private catholic school
You pay to attend and follow the rules. THEIR rules
If you dont want the catholic trappings... dont go to that school.

And... i would love to see a muslim anything allow a chirstian room to exist within their hallowed walls.

Forum List

Back