Muslims of early America

Muslims came to America more than a century before Protestants, and in great numbers. How was their history forgotten?

[snipped]

...By 1503, we know that Muslims themselves, from West Africa, were in the New World. In that year, Hispaniolaā€™s royal governor wrote to Isabella requesting that she curtail their importation. They were, he wrote, ā€˜a source of scandal to the Indiansā€™. They had, he wrote, repeatedly ā€˜fled their ownersā€™. On Christmas morning 1522, in the New Worldā€™s first slave rebellion, 20 Hispaniola sugarmill slaves rose and began slaughtering Spaniards. The rebels, the governor noted, were mostly Wolof, a Senegambian people, who have been Muslim since the 11th century. Muslims were more likely than other enslaved Africans to be literate: an ability rarely looked upon with favour by plantation-owners. In the five decades following the 1522 slave rebellion on Hispaniola, Spain issued five decrees prohibiting the importation of Muslim slaves.

Muslims thus arrived in America more than a century before the Virginia Company founded the Jamestown colony in 1607. Muslims came to America more than a century before the Puritans founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Muslims were living in America not only before Protestants, but before Protestantism existed. After Catholicism, Islam was the second monotheistic religion in the Americas.

The popular misunderstanding, even among educated people, that Islam and Muslims are recent additions to America tells us important things about how American history has been written. In particular, it reveals how historians have justified and celebrated the emergence of the modern nation-state. One way to valorise the United States of America has been to minimise the heterogeneity and scale ā€“ the cosmopolitanism, diversity and mutual co-existence of peoples ā€“ in America during the first 300 years of European presence

Continued here: Muslims lived in America before Protestantism even existed | Aeon Essays

Muslims are slave traders.
Why do the Left Wingers admire them so much.
BTW, muslims did not contribute anything to America's founding.
Nope....They didn't participate in the slaughtering of millions of Natives, and enslaving millions of africans.....you take the whole credit.
Issa, when are you going to prove that you mean it by leaving America?

these spoiled little Burb Brats would never leave the U.S. and the comforts and freedoms they have here just to go promote principles; they don't have any themselves and don't want to be inconvenienced by fighting for other peoples' lack thereof.
Intelligent people talk about the OP , idiots co.e here to be personal. Grow up!!!

Muslims came to America more than a century before Protestants, and in great numbers. How was their history forgotten?

[snipped]

...By 1503, we know that Muslims themselves, from West Africa, were in the New World. In that year, Hispaniolaā€™s royal governor wrote to Isabella requesting that she curtail their importation. They were, he wrote, ā€˜a source of scandal to the Indiansā€™. They had, he wrote, repeatedly ā€˜fled their ownersā€™. On Christmas morning 1522, in the New Worldā€™s first slave rebellion, 20 Hispaniola sugarmill slaves rose and began slaughtering Spaniards. The rebels, the governor noted, were mostly Wolof, a Senegambian people, who have been Muslim since the 11th century. Muslims were more likely than other enslaved Africans to be literate: an ability rarely looked upon with favour by plantation-owners. In the five decades following the 1522 slave rebellion on Hispaniola, Spain issued five decrees prohibiting the importation of Muslim slaves.

Muslims thus arrived in America more than a century before the Virginia Company founded the Jamestown colony in 1607. Muslims came to America more than a century before the Puritans founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Muslims were living in America not only before Protestants, but before Protestantism existed. After Catholicism, Islam was the second monotheistic religion in the Americas.

The popular misunderstanding, even among educated people, that Islam and Muslims are recent additions to America tells us important things about how American history has been written. In particular, it reveals how historians have justified and celebrated the emergence of the modern nation-state. One way to valorise the United States of America has been to minimise the heterogeneity and scale ā€“ the cosmopolitanism, diversity and mutual co-existence of peoples ā€“ in America during the first 300 years of European presence

Continued here: Muslims lived in America before Protestantism even existed | Aeon Essays

Has Aeon published any scholarly essays along these lines?

ā€œNew York Mufti says, Muslims cannot integrate: ā€˜Muslims should hate non-Muslimsā€™ ā€œThe general principleā€¦ is to love and to hate for the sake of Allah,ā€ New York Mufti says, Muslims cannot integrate: 'Muslims should hate non-Muslims' Ā· Caldron Pool

If not, why not?

How about one on the religious perspective of Hussein Obama, and the need to guarantee nuclear weapons to the world's worst state sponsor of terrorism?

I look forward to their apologia on these topics.

I will help-----the BIG PUSH of Christianity is SPREAD THE GOSPEL----
the even BIGGER PUSH of islam is-----MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD A
FIGHTING FORCE FOR ISLAM------spread the gospels means "good news" -------force for islam means------KILL EVERYONE ELSE SO
WE WIN

th

So you don't think there were any Hebrews in hiding that came to the America's with those Spaniards thus making them the second monotheistic religion from the Old World to come to the Americas.

And what makes you think that there weren't Native American tribes that were monotheistic prior to the coming of the Old World to the Americas?

*****SMILE*****

:)

The K!kes were integral to the slave trade the same as Muslims who castrated and sold some 80M Africans over a 700 year period. Yet like the typical groid you sit and praise both.
The African cannot be domesticated.

I totally don't get why CRCs and deplorables are accused of being anti-semetic.

Yet, I am sure you have never looked into why.
View attachment 262072

And there's the answer, in illustration. "Because someone told them to". Parrot-sheep.

It's what's for dinner for the Ignorants.

th

As though your own responses aren't an exemplary example of what you're promoting in your hypocrisy.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

I imagine that it sucks even worse to have it suddenly dawn on you miscreants that many of the people you so dispise are just as American if not more so than you & yours. It has always cracked me up when the rabble rousers start their demands that Muslims be deported as well as denied their basic U.S. Constitutional rights such as in the case of one idiot who wants the Constitution altered to make Islam no longer a religion so that Muslims can be deported and denied government jobs like communist were back in the McCarthy era. I've always wondered to where do you deport a native born American citizen.

I would deport you haters to where ever 'social justice warriror's are needed, like back to Africa, to your beloved Red China, Iran, Pakistan, there are all kinds of places who need your valuable insights and armchair 'radicalism'. Deportation of citizens is just fine with me, as it was with Jefferson and the 'Founders', and also fine with Abraham Lincoln.

And, Islam is a political ideology, not a religion, and we ban Nazis and other ilk from immigrating, so we should have the common sense to do so with Muslims. Pandering to racist idiots like yourself isn't something sane and smart people need to encourage.
That's what those who are impotent do, they blather on about things that they'd like to do but don't possess the ability to implement. But I am curious about something. Whatever in the world made you think that I care a wit about what you think? You've already demonstrated your lack of honesty and your propensity to cause harm IF ONLY YOU COULD.

I imagine that it sucks even worse to have it suddenly dawn on you miscreants that many of the people you so dispise are just as American if not more so than you & yours. It has always cracked me up when the rabble rousers start their demands that Muslims be deported as well as denied their basic U.S. Constitutional rights such as in the case of one idiot who wants the Constitution altered to make Islam no longer a religion so that Muslims can be deported and denied government jobs like communist were back in the McCarthy era. I've always wondered to where do you deport a native born American citizen.

Man the Pacific Northwest is full of nitwits. No wonder once glorious cities like Portland, SF and Seattle are filth ridden sewers. Islam the religion and Islam the ideology are one in the same. There is no civilized mostly Muslim country anywhere in the world. Stop your babble.
And Islam existed centuries before the United States existed so your uninformed opinion doesn't mean a hell of a lot especially in light of the U.S. Constitution as it stands today.

just don't allow importation of MORE 'muslims' into the USA and Western world and the problem is solved Myam .

Last edited:

Man the Pacific Northwest is full of nitwits. No wonder once glorious cities like Portland, SF and Seattle are filth ridden sewers. Islam the religion and Islam the ideology are one in the same. There is no civilized mostly Muslim country anywhere in the world. Stop your babble.
And Islam existed centuries before the United States existed so your uninformed opinion doesn't mean a hell of a lot especially in light of the U.S. Constitution as it stands today.
--------------------------- and Christianity and Judaism existed long before 'islam' so i don't understand your point . In fact its my halfway thought opinion that without out Judaism and Christianity there would be NO 'islam' . islam seems to copy both Judaism and Christianity as it copies the names and concepts , especially in Christianity MYam .

[snipped]

No matter the lengths of falsified and/or revised history the though police go to, our nation will never be majority Muslim, nor will we ever forgive Islam's greatest hits, with 9/11 still topping the charts.
Have you ever heard of Operation Northwoods?.

The fears you are expressing are your own

And? Christianity existed way before Islam and Judaism before that and those countries are thriving. You a Muslim?

[snipped]

No matter the lengths of falsified and/or revised history the though police go to, our nation will never be majority Muslim, nor will we ever forgive Islam's greatest hits, with 9/11 still topping the charts.

I do Not fear you. I dislike you.

----------------------------- and there is no reason that foreign based muslims cannot be excluded from being imported into the USA Myam .

--------------------------- and Christianity and Judaism existed long before 'islam' so i don't understand your point . In fact its my halfway thought opinion that without out Judaism and Christianity there would be NO 'islam' . islam seems to copy both Judaism and Christianity as it copies the names and concepts , especially in Christianity MYam .
That's was in reference to those you want the U.S. Constitution amended to no longer recognize Islam as a religion so that all of the anti-Islamic animosity that currently exists can be implemented against Muslim without any Constitutional protections - like what they did to the communist during the McCarthy era - deportations, firing from government jobs, red scare & hysteria everywhere, etc.

and TRUMP is busily doing his work on the liberal Courts . Thats the same liberal Courts that told Trump that he couldn't ban 'muslims' from importation into the USA . So eventually we may be able to ban importation of 'muslims' as a danger to the USA Myam .

[snipped]

And why should I care that you dislike me? And why did you think I was implying that you should fear anything about me specifically when I was referring to your fears of Islam, Muslims and the U.S. becoming a Muslim majority country.

and TRUMP is busily doing his work on the liberal Courts . Thats the same liberal Courts that told Trump that he couldn't ban 'muslims' from importation into the USA . So eventually we may be able to ban importation of 'muslims' as a danger to the USA Myam .
In Trump's own words "It's not a Muslim ban" and Muslim still travel freely to & from our country with the exception of the countries under ban. That's hardly the entire Muslim world.

In addition to that, there are millions of American Muslim presently living in the country who are not from anywhere else. So you consider them a "danger" as well?

That's was in reference to those you want the U.S. Constitution amended to no longer recognize Islam as a religion so that all of the anti-Islamic animosity that currently exists can be implemented against Muslim without any Constitutional protections - like what they did to the communist during the McCarthy era - deportations, firing from government jobs, red scare & hysteria everywhere, etc.
---------------------------------- doesn't need Amending . All thats needed is Courts and Judges and Conservative interpretations same as the liberal Judges have had liberal interpretations . Foreign based muslims have no 1ST Amendment protections of religion to come to the USA as far as i can tell Myam .

And? Christianity existed way before Islam and Judaism before that and those countries are thriving. You a Muslim?
Yet no one is actually promoting trying to get Christianity and Judaism classified as "not a religion" in order to strip it's adherents of their constitutional protections

I would deport you haters to where ever 'social justice warriror's are needed, like back to Africa, to your beloved Red China, Iran, Pakistan, there are all kinds of places who need your valuable insights and armchair 'radicalism'. Deportation of citizens is just fine with me, as it was with Jefferson and the 'Founders', and also fine with Abraham Lincoln.

And, Islam is a political ideology, not a religion, and we ban Nazis and other ilk from immigrating, so we should have the common sense to do so with Muslims. Pandering to racist idiots like yourself isn't something sane and smart people need to encourage.
That's what those who are impotent do, they blather on about things that they'd like to do but don't possess the ability to implement. But I am curious about something. Whatever in the world made you think that I care a wit about what you think? You've already demonstrated your lack of honesty and your propensity to cause harm IF ONLY YOU COULD.

"impotent" ?? depends on the means that a given society is WILLING
TO IMPLEMENT. Any society has the ability to commit a genocide upon
minority

[snipped]

And why should I care that you dislike me? And why did you think I was implying that you should fear anything about me specifically when I was referring to your fears of Islam, Muslims and the U.S. becoming a Muslim majority country.

Not a fear. Logic. Every mostly Muslim country is a humanitarian nightmare. Pass. And I donā€™t fear Islam nor dislike it. I dislike Radical Islam and I dislike you because you donā€™t know what a phobia is. So are you a Muslim?

Forum List

Back