Muslims in military seek a bridge between worlds

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
U.S. Muslim service members say they stand out in both their worlds.

Among fellow troops, that can mean facing ethnic taunts, awkward questions about spiritual practices and a structure that is not set up to accommodate their worship. Among Muslims, the questions can be more profound: How can a Muslim participate in killing other Muslims in such places as Iraq and Afghanistan?

Just 3,557 members of the 1.4 million-member U.S. armed forces describe themselves as Muslim, and followers of Islam said the military is just starting to accommodate them by recruiting Muslim chaplains, creating Muslim prayer spaces and educating other troops about Islam.

Muslims in the military seek bridge between worlds - washingtonpost.com

This is an all volunteer military. Nobody forces anyone to join. Muslims know about the wars, why do they join? and that question was predicated on those who joined post 9-11.

Among fellow troops, that can mean facing ethnic taunts, awkward questions about spiritual practices and a structure that is not set up to accommodate their worship. Among Muslims, the questions can be more profound: How can a Muslim participate in killing other Muslims in such places as Iraq and Afghanistan?

Just 3,557 members of the 1.4 million-member U.S. armed forces describe themselves as Muslim, and followers of Islam said the military is just starting to accommodate them by recruiting Muslim chaplains, creating Muslim prayer spaces and educating other troops about Islam.

This is an all volunteer military. Nobody forces anyone to join. Muslims know about the wars, why do they join? and that question was predicated on those who joined post 9-11.

There is no religious requirement to be released from fighting fellow Muslims. Doesn't exist in the Muslim world shouldn't exist in the US. Any Muslim in service now KNEW what we were doing and where BEFORE they joined.

Let me see if I understand this, every single member of the US Military at some point including those of the Muslim faith went to a recruiter somewhere and joined the Military , knowing in a lot of cases the Military was deployed in combat operations around the world and in Muslim nations as well. Knowing this, they signed all the paperwork needed to join, then raised their hands and were sworn in, and attended whatever training was needed bootcamp, OCS, USMA, whatever. So now, we need to have special consideration for those members of whatever faith they happen to be, because of where we are deployed? I have a much better idea, DON'T JOIN~~ and if your already in, do the honorable thing and do your job that you knowingly signed up to do.

There is no religious requirement to be released from fighting fellow Muslims. Doesn't exist in the Muslim world shouldn't exist in the US. Any Muslim in service now KNEW what we were doing and where BEFORE they joined.

Exactly, German, Italian and Japanese Americans could get out fighting (and the VAST majority didn't bat an eye) Germany, Italy and Japan respectfully. In fact, many of them enlisted to fight the old country and many were drafted!

correct me if I'm wrong but don't military inductees swear to defend and uphold the constitution?

Everyone of those , including Muslims have given their very lives for this nation serving honorably where they were ordered to go. I have always felt that because our military is a professional military now and has been for sometime and not one where young people are drafted into it. To join, then complain about the mission as being against one's beliefs , just makes me want to ask, " what do you think the US Military does? " I salute all those hard working young men and women of ALL faiths who serve daily and who have given their lives in defense of this nation and deserve our thanks for their sacrifice and all this noise about special considerations based on belief structure has no place in the Military and again, I will just say , if it is that much of an issue then pass by the local recruiters office.

correct me if I'm wrong but don't military inductees swear to defend and uphold the constitution?

Here you are Willow;

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

One is enlisted, one is Officers.

Japanes Americans in WWII were not allowed to fight in the Pacific area until late in the war. They served in Europe in the 442, the 522 and the 100th Infantry Battalion. They also in the Military Intelligence Service.

Densho: The Japanese American Legacy Project

The Conflict Behind the Battle Lines / The Japanese Americans who fought in World War II were engaged in another, private battle, against prejudice and misunderstandings

WWII: The Japanese American Experience : American Veterans Center

Japanes Americans in WWII were not allowed to fight in the Pacific area until late in the war. They served in Europe in the 442, the 522 and the 100th Infantry Battalion. They also in the Military Intelligence Service.

The Conflict Behind the Battle Lines / The Japanese Americans who fought in World War II were engaged in another, private battle, against prejudice and misunderstandings

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

And blacks couldn't eat at restaurants with Whites! It was a different time! That should take away from the fact that the Japanese American soldiers fought with extreme courage and love for their country!

Anyone who joined the service after 1990 knows we are no longer fighting the Cold War. We have a volunteer force, you should realize that potential conflicts would involve Muslims in Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever.
Christian soldiers fought other christians in WWII. They were fighting their nationality, not their faith.

More PC trying to be thrown onto the Military. This is such BS it isn't funny! I say Washington Post bring forth these so called Muslims, NAME THEM! I know people in the Military that will explain and set their emotional little feelings on the correct path.

I'm so sick of this. As everyone has pointed out this is a VOLUNTEER MILITARY, they sign a contract, they know full well we took up arms to combat terrorism which 99.9% are from Muslims. They agreed to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic right now that is Terrorist Muslims.

Get freaking out of our Military and go join the muslim prayer scouts or something. We do not want these types in our Military.

Again Washington Post, I say name these so called Muslims.

then: they were drafted.. forced if you will to serve.

now: voluntary, no one forces you to enter, to swear to uphold and defend the constitution of the US to fight all enemies foreign and domestic.. you like them you know understand hey?

And blacks couldn't eat at restaurants with Whites! It was a different time! That should take away from the fact that the Japanese American soldiers fought with extreme courage and love for their country!

It is absolutely no wonder at all that this country is so completely screwed up when there are so many that are so mal-educated they have no idea at all that HISTORY is continuous, that all the parts are make up a whole story
and everything is connected to everything else.

It is appalling and pathetic.

Let me see if I understand this, every single member of the US Military at some point including those of the Muslim faith went to a recruiter somewhere and joined the Military , knowing in a lot of cases the Military was deployed in combat operations around the world and in Muslim nations as well. Knowing this, they signed all the paperwork needed to join, then raised their hands and were sworn in, and attended whatever training was needed bootcamp, OCS, USMA, whatever. So now, we need to have special consideration for those members of whatever faith they happen to be, because of where we are deployed? I have a much better idea, DON'T JOIN~~ and if your already in, do the honorable thing and do your job that you knowingly signed up to do.

Put this in a different way, if your Italian, in the service here and we were at war with Italy....how would you explain that to your Italian friends and family back here? How would you feel?

I kind of understand where the Muslims are coming from.

(yes, I know there is a difference between religion and blood,but you get what I am saying. You can actually change religions, but cant change your blood. You cannot wake up one morning and decide your not Italian anymore).

Ok guys focus for a minute. We had a Muslim die over in Afghanistan yet your all saying (most) we should name all these Muslim and send them back to fight vs us. You are the problem label them terrorist cause of being a "Muslim"

We need to stop that crap right here and now. Enough is enough.

Put this in a different way, if your Italian, in the service here and we were at war with Italy....how would you explain that to your Italian friends and family back here? How would you feel?

(yes, I know there is a difference between religion and blood,but you get what I am saying. You can actually change religions, but cant change your blood. You cannot wake up one morning and decide your not Italian anymore).

Perhaps Zona, but then again, when your wake up and walk to the recruiters office you already know all that too. So if that were an issue, then do not make that commitment and take the oath. Seems simple enough. I would remind you that a lot of Italian Americans had no problem going to fight in Italy in WW2 and many of them lost their lives in doing so. The difference then was a draft as opposed to now where we have a professional Military. No matter what your ethnic background or beliefs when a person walks to a recruiters office if they have objections based on those then that is the place to make that known, and then they will prehaps find that the US Military is not the place for them. If they do decide to join and take that oath they do so knowing what the Military is, and what it's mission is. Can you imagine a military that is so PC that it's Officers need to take a poll of it's personnel as to their feelings prior to committing to battle? I would just say this Zona, that the US Military is not a democracy no matter how much people would wish it to be, and while well meaning these moral issues need to be addressed prior to joining.

Perhaps Zona, but then again, when your wake up and walk to the recruiters office you already know all that too. So if that were an issue, then do not make that commitment and take the oath. Seems simple enough. I would remind you that a lot of Italian Americans had no problem going to fight in Italy in WW2 and many of them lost their lives in doing so. The difference then was a draft as opposed to now where we have a professional Military. No matter what your ethnic background or beliefs when a person walks to a recruiters office if they have objections based on those then that is the place to make that known, and then they will prehaps find that the US Military is not the place for them. If they do decide to join and take that oath they do so knowing what the Military is, and what it's mission is. Can you imagine a military that is so PC that it's Officers need to take a poll of it's personnel as to their feelings prior to committing to battle? I would just say this Zona, that the US Military is not a democracy no matter how much people would wish it to be, and while well meaning these moral issues need to be addressed prior to joining.

I dont think the military is saying to do anything other than perhaps speak to them. This is what happens when something big happens.

After tail hook, we went through all kinds of training because of it.

If anything, I think we need more Muslims in the military.

To be fighting two wars in islamic countries without an understanding of the religion and the culture puts our soldiers at a disadvantage.

And the military is known for taunting fellow soldiers. They taunt the fat ones, the ones who lisp, the ones who are really skinny, the ones who are short, the Mormons, the American Indians, the Asian ones.

It's natural that they would hassle the Muslims as well. It doesn't mean anything. They still fight alongside of them.

However if they identify one as being a security and safety risk, I have no problem with them drumming that one out.

New Topics

Forum List

Back