Muslims Gather at Largest Islamic Convention in North America

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
If Muslims want to improve their image America, they have to get involved in their communities and proactively talk Islam before controversies arise; leading Muslim figures told 40,000 people gathered at the continent's largest Islamic convention this weekend (01 – 04 July).

The message, echoed among dozens of panels and discussion groups at the Islamic Society of North America's annual meeting in suburban Chicago, comes after a difficult year for American Muslims. Several states have passed or proposed bans of Islamic law, mosque construction projects have met ferocious opposition and polls have shown that many Americans have a negative perception of the religion.

Some conference panels this year included "Islam, Pluralism, and Social Harmony," "Empowerment through Engagement," "Interreligious Collaboration Inspired by Love of God and Love of Neighbor," and "Ethics of Disagreement and Coexistence in Islam."
ISNA officials said the conference theme - "Loving God, Loving Neighbor, Living in Harmony" -- and the convention programming reflect a belief that, despite the difficulties created by Islamophobia, the situation can be improved through engagement.

Panels carried titles such as "Muslims under a Microscope," "Anti-Sharia Initiatives: How to Respond" and "Not in My Backyard," regarding to anti-mosque construction campaigns. The sessions at ISNA, which were based upon the requests of members, indicated that Muslims are also concerned about the state of their religion as the 10th anniversary of 9/11 approaches.

"We have to balance the internal needs of the Muslim-American community with our need as Muslims to defend Islam," said Ingrid Mattson, a member of ISNA's executive council and a professor of Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations at Hartford Seminary. "We have to constantly battle those negative threats to define us."

We feel the best way to change the attitudes and opinions of those living in America is through informing and not preaching," said Ghani, who launched the Mineret Foundation with a group of Texan professionals last year to teach non-Muslims about Islamic beliefs. The group runs web sites, such as CuriousAboutIslam.com, with the aim of "pitching" Islam to non-Muslims in an informative, entertaining way. "Everyone in America has the right to be informed about the different aspects of Islam in a way they can relate to and understand," Ghani said.

Islam has no religious hierarchy and few national Muslim groups cover the spectrum of theology, activism and community engagement among Muslims, making ISNA unique among religious events in the United States. The convention drew from Sunni and Shia schools of Islam, which comprise the majority of Muslims practices.

About a hundred Muslims showed up for a panel Sunday 03 July on "Observing Islam in Everyday Life," where Islamic scholars gave advice on how to reconcile Islamic law and western traditions. That included discussion of Islamic financing and the stock market. Muslims should look for Islamic bank loans when buying homes to avoid paying interest, which is banned in the religion, but purchasing and selling stock at a profit is okay because it it similar to selling any other good, the scholars of the Fiqh Council of North America said.

"The average American is scared of Islam because he doesn't know about Islam," said Yasir Qadhi, a popular conservative cleric and dean of academic affairs of AlMagrib Insitute, a network of Islamic schools in the U.S. He spoke at a panel on "Islamophobia: Opportunities, Challenges and Responsibilities for Dawah," or the spreading of the religion.

Qadhi told Muslims to turn to the Quran, with it story of the hardships endured by the prophet Muhammad, when faced with challenges in their own communities. Qadhi quoted a verse from Surat Ash-Sharh, a portion of the Quran: "Therefore, recall, with every difficulty, there will be ease."

http://www.islamonline.net/en/IOLArticle_C/1278408775271/1278406708816/IOLArticle_C

Last edited:
Good for them. Im not entirely sure what the difference between informing and preaching are. Sharing what you believe is pretty much the same no matter what it's called.

Where can I get an interest free Islamic mortgage?
How does one enforce that?

Mostly works the same in terms of a regular mortgage in terms of you pay the same, they just structure it differently so it doesn't look like interest. Just looks more like they put a higher price on the property.

Muslims are having a hard time being accepted into American society.

The prejudice against them is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

The focus of the conference was what can Muslim Americans do to change the negative perception of them.

Muslims are having a hard time being accepted into American society.

The prejudice against them is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

The focus of the conference was what can Muslim Americans do to change the negative perception of them.

Stopping other Muslims from strapping bombs to themselves and to their children would definitely help. I would fully support any methods you use to accomplish that.

There is no reason we can't work with Muslims to stop these lunatics.

As I have stated many times before.

We are American Muslims and concerned with Islam in America.

And have no control over what people do in other countries.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Did anyone talk about the best way to be seen in the best light possible?

B/c they seem to have skimmed over the parts where they make a stand against kidnapping muslim immagrant boys and sending them off to become killers in another country.

They also skipped over how to respond when local muslims try to kill thier fellow Americans.

I suggest you clean up your own backyard before you call me an islamaphobe.

But thanks for showing to me that muslims have no entention of going the American community except as a victim class of people.

Nor it is your responsibility, don't let people of other religions stand on a moral highground and act like you owe them something based on what people do 10,000 miles away.

Good for them. Im not entirely sure what the difference between informing and preaching are. Sharing what you believe is pretty much the same no matter what it's called.

Informing and sharing are different than preaching. Informing is answering questions about your religion to people who have a sincere interest in understanding the religion.

Preaching is shoving your dogma in a disinterested person's face because you don't respect them.

In my opinion the best way for Muslims to integrate into American society.

Would be for more Muslims to become policemen and firem. Plus join the various branches of the military.

That is how other groups such as Italians and the Irish melted into the fabric of America.

Informing and sharing are different than preaching. Informing is answering questions about your religion to people who have a sincere interest in understanding the religion.

Preaching is shoving your dogma in a disinterested person's face because you don't respect them.

Then practice what you preach

Would be for more Muslims to become policemen and firem. Plus join the various branches of the military.

That is how other groups such as Italians and the Irish melted into the fabric of America.

I dont see why they wouldn't already be doing that. I dont know that there is any specific group of people that does or doesnt do certain jobs.

yep and as i have stated before....i still dont get why anyone would convert to any of the big 3 religions.....seems all of them involve some degree of opposition to the others...

i have no control with what other do in other countries but what about the hell muslims have caused this country......have you forgotten the images of people jumping hand in hand.....muslims dancing in the streets of the us....celebrating ....that was not fiction it was real and happened.....

and what about what is being done in this country by muslims....i am just not all about honor killings....

dude i can see why men would flock to a religion where a woman cant refuse to give you head upon demand.....but what i really dont get are women how convert to this religion.....i always look for more freedom not less

I understand your point of view.

The problem I have is that when it comes to Christians preaching hate against homosexuals, calling for their execution, as Pastor Martin Ssempa and Scott Lively have done, I wonder why more moderate Christians don't denounce these extremists. Many of the Christians who post on forums deny the existence of these extremists who call themselves Christian, and support their rights to hate speech.

I think most Americans want American Muslims to be supportive of the war on terror. They want American Muslims to be American first. When American Muslims denounce terrorism it doesn't get a lot of press. I think American Muslims need to ask for more coverage of their moderate voices.

Then practice what you preach

Please show me where I have shoved my religion in your face.

They are in the Military, I ran into several Muslim Military members at my basic training in Lackland Air Force Base.

yep and as i have stated before....i still dont get why anyone would convert to any of the big 3 religions.....seems all of them involve some degree of opposition to the others...

i have no control with what other do in other countries but what about the hell muslims have caused this country......have you forgotten the images of people jumping hand in hand.....muslims dancing in the streets of the us....celebrating ....that was not fiction it was real and happened.....

and what about what is being done in this country by muslims....i am just not all about honor killings....

dude i can see why men would flock to a religion where a woman cant refuse to give you head upon demand.....but what i really dont get are women how convert to this religion.....i always look for more freedom not less

Think about it, most if not all the religions man has thought up says that non-believers deserve to go to hell for an infinite period of time and face round the clock torture while believers deserve eternal bliss and to be in heaven for an infinite period of time.

That creates a lot of holier than thou, my life is worth more than yours types.

Forum List

Back