Muslims claim unfair treatment at border

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Muslims claim unfair treatment at border

December 29, 2004, 6:27 PM EST

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- An Islamic civil rights group Wednesday accused U.S. border agents of religious profiling after dozens of American Muslims were searched, fingerprinted and photographed while returning from a religious conference in Toronto.

Some of those stopped said they were held at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge for six hours or more with no explanation.

A spokeswoman for Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection said agents stopped anyone who said they attended the three-day convention, titled "Reviving the Islamic Spirit," based on information that such gatherings can be a means for terrorists to promote their cause.

"I asked `If I refuse to give my fingerprints, what will you do?"' said Galeb Rizek, 32, who claimed he arrived at the border around midnight and was held until 6:30 a.m. "(The agent) said, `You can refuse, but you'll be here until you do."'

Rizek, whose family owns a hotel in Niagara Falls, said he is a frequent traveler across the border and has never before been fingerprinted or photographed. He described one woman, traveling with her young daughter, who protested and sobbed through the fingerprinting. The little girl cried as well.

"It was kind of dramatic. You really feel like a criminal and you haven't done anything wrong," said Rizek, who was born in the United States.

"The image of a room full of American Muslim citizens apparently being held solely because of their faith and the fact that they attended an Islamic conference is one that should be disturbing to all Americans who value religious freedom," said Nihad Awad, executive director of the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

The group demanded an investigation by Homeland Security officials.

CBP spokeswoman Kristie Clemens said 34 people were stopped at the Lewiston crossing and four others were checked at the nearby Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. They were held for an average of 2 1/2 hours and offered coffee and tea, she said.

Clemens acknowledged the inconvenience over the additional security measures, but said with the threat of terrorism, there was no room for error.

"We have ongoing credible information that conferences such as the one that these 34 individuals just left in Toronto may be used by terrorist organizations to promote terrorist activities, which includes traveling and fund raising," Clemens said. "As the front-line border agency, it is our duty to verify the identity of individuals _ including U.S. citizens _ and one way of doing that is fingerprinting."

Mo Rizek, 19, said frustration among those held for several hours boiled over to anger.

"Everyone was yelling," he said. "Some people had a 10-hour drive back to Connecticut in front of them, people had to go to work in the morning ... Every single person there was a U.S. citizen."

He said one of the messages of the convention was how to change for the better the way people feel about Muslims post-Sept. 11.

Link

I have a suggestion on how they can be more widely accepted in to the society. Help find and prosecute fellow Muslims who are radical, and want to kill innocent civilians, simply because they are Americans, or supporters of America.

I will gladly give my fingerprints to the feds, if they ask. I have nothing to hide, nor anything to fear by doing so. Want a retina scan, bring on the hardware, let's get 'er done!

From now on, everyone should get fingerprinted when crossing the border!

---

To paraphrase Dennis miller, should it be called profiling, or should it be called minimally observant?

---

I applaud the actions of the border guards in stopping these people! And they should get used to the scrutiny....it is sorely needed in this case.

I cross that bridge routinely in my truck. I usually spend a couple of hours as my import stuff is scanned and double checked. Seems that if they didn't anticipate trouble, they should have. The best part of the article is where the customs guy doesn't threaten anything other than a delay. Kinda kills the sky-is-falling paranoia of those who think post 911 America is becomeing AmeriKa.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the stupid muslim woman who pitched a fit over lifting her veil in order to have her picture taken for a driver's license. Tough cookies. If your religion prohibits you from showing your face, fine - you don't have to. You just won't get a license. Except in this case it turns out that the dingbat in question was a caucasian who had converted to islam and probably didn't want to show her face because she was also a convicted felon.

Merlin1047 said:
This is somewhat reminiscent of the stupid muslim woman who pitched a fit over lifting her veil in order to have her picture taken for a driver's license. Tough cookies. If your religion prohibits you from showing your face, fine - you don't have to. You just won't get a license. Except in this case it turns out that the dingbat in question was a caucasian who had converted to islam and probably didn't want to show her face because she was also a convicted felon.
i remember this one. and your right, tough cookies. if you cant provide whats required then you dont get what you seek

HorhayAtAMD said:
I think this is one case where racial profiling is okay. It still makes me nervous to say that but so be it.
there needs to be a certain level of recial profiling. there always has to be some degree of suspicion. otherwise we can all just put our heads inthe sand and wait for the next airliner to land in our houses.

I live in Niagara Falls and do not even know this person. Never seen him at the Masjid. Maybe he goes to Buffalo. I don't know. But claims to live in Niagara Falls. Seems Fridays aren't convienant to be Muslim, but when U can blow a horn, it is.

I have a suggestion on how they can be more widely accepted in to the society. Help find and prosecute fellow Muslims who are radical, and want to kill innocent civilians, simply because they are Americans, or supporters of America.

I will gladly give my fingerprints to the feds, if they ask. I have nothing to hide, nor anything to fear by doing so. Want a retina scan, bring on the hardware, let's get 'er done!

From now on, everyone should get fingerprinted when crossing the border!

We could change our motto from"Land of the free" to "Land of the paranoid". Maybe we should just put all muslims on a no fly-no train-no bus list and deny them driver's licenses, guns and knives. And don't let them reproduce either, that's a big one.

Forum List

Back