Muslim Women: Hijab, Niqab or Nothing

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIFEvuTqbmo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIFEvuTqbmo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Do you prefer that your women make themselves as plain as possible by not wearing makeup or pretty eye glasses or contacts, too? I don't get that.

Also, I would like to take up a collection to get that first woman's brows waxed. She looks like caterpillars are eating her face.

Whenever I see a woman at the Wal-Mart with the full Muslim monty on (only the eyeslits), I just want to scream. Get the fuck out of my country, lady! It's like a big middle finger. It's weird and creepy. I don't want Cleveland to look like Tehran. Tehran can look like Tehran.

I thought it was interesting to see how both veiled women dodged the question about why Muslim men are not required to cover their heads.

I thought it was interesting to see how both veiled women dodged the question about why Muslim men are not required to cover their heads.
Muslim women are instructed to cover their heads by the Quran and teachings of the Prophet.

Muslim men are not told to do so.

But Muslim men have to wear long sleeve shirts and are not allowed to wear shorts.

it seemed to me that there was debate among the panel and among Muslim scholars over whether covering the head is necessary or whether modest dress is enough...

it seemed to me that there was debate among the panel and among Muslim scholars over whether covering the head is necessary or whether modest dress is enough...
Most Muslims agree that the scarf is mandatory.

The veil is mainly a cultural tradition for most women from some countries.

Muhammad's wives were the only women who were instructed to wear the veil.

Some Muslim women want to be ultra religious, so they also wear the veil.

Most Muslims agree that the scarf is mandatory.

The veil is mainly a cultural tradition for most women from some countries.

Muhammad's wives were the only women who were instructed to wear the veil.

Some Muslim women want to be ultra religious, so they also wear the veil.

It seems to me a matter of trust. Don't muslim men trust their wives?

Then why do women in Egypt who don't wear them get dirty looks and nasty cat calls from men who are not their husbands or family members when they go out in public?

It seems to me that the scarf is more about a way to control women then it is to please God...even if it started out that way.

Then why do women in Egypt who don't wear them get dirty looks and nasty cat calls from men who are not their husbands or family members when they go out in public?

It seems to me that the scarf is more about a way to control women then it is to please God...even if it started out that way.

In Saudia Arabia, it is not left up to God.

A while back, there was a fire at a girls school and the religious police prevented the fire department from rescuing the girls because they weren't "appropriately" dressed (they were in bedclothes).

Don't know, never been to Egypt.

Every country has different cultures and traditions.

Men in Islamic countries respect a woman who is covered.

An uncovered woman is basically advertizing herself.

In Saudia Arabia, it is not left up to God.

A while back, there was a fire at a girls school and the religious police prevented the fire department from rescuing the girls because they weren't "appropriately" dressed (they were in bedclothes).
I read about this. Did you know some of the people went to jail for doing that?

Sunni Man Wrote:
Men in Islamic countries respect a woman who is covered.

An uncovered woman is basically advertizing herself.

And herein lies the truth...and the myth behind the statement "its just between a woman and God."

A woman in Muslim areas MUST be covered or she will not be respected by the men around her, who believe her to be "advertising herself."

Therefore...a woman does not cover herself for God - although that might be what she tells herself to keep herself from becoming scared or angry about the culture in which she lives...she covers herself so that men - who have set themselves up as above women in this culture...do not hurt or malign her.

You may feel that this is ok, or proper. That is your right - just so long as your beliefs do not end up hurting other people or giving others an excuse to hurt other people. And it is my right to take issue with this, and other parts of your religion...just as I take part with the Christians who hold beliefs that I feel are damaging or harmful to others.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxGPaEZPY9o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxGPaEZPY9o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back