Muslim woman strangled by her burkha in freak go-kart accident

Munin said:
I m not even sure a very religious turk can really be a "Turk" (meaning that he identifies with the state that attaturk created).
First, we would have to define about how many people we talk about that classify to your quote.
In my view, there is not rejection by even the most hardcore Islamist, but disagreement.
The rift here is clearly on the university head-scarf issue. It is a never ending debate.
But Turks don't bomb each other over this issue. It is heated debate but civil.
The core understandment of the headscarf-ban has shifted into being a question of liberty.

In the end, everyone is happy to be born as Turkish citizen and not be born in Falluja, Torabora mountains.
Turkish people, including the small part of hardcore Islamists have hope into the future.
In foreign policy there is common sense under Turks.
All support integration of the Muslim periphery under Turkish guidance and a common economic market with them.

And happy not to be born as kurds I assume?

Are you sure that all support the integration of the Muslim periphery under Turkish guidance?

Masses protest against Turkey head-scarf proposal - Mail & Guardian Online: The smart news source
Protests in Turkey over Presidential candidate - Wikinews, the free news source
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/world/europe/13iht-turkey.5.5691619.html

And happy not to be born as kurds I assume?

2007 election results:
Turkey2007JulyElectionComposite.png

Out of 550 parliament seats,
Kurdist party DTP achieved 21 seats
Turkish general election, 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parties having opposite agenda to Turkish unity, do not have support from Turkish Kurds in case of Kurdist party.
Especially in the Kurd issue is floating a lot of propaganda around.
Benchmark is election performance.
Turkish Kurds are for Turkish Unity and - like everyone else in Turkey - look into bright future under roof of Turkish Republic.

Munin said:

Your links do not prove me wrong.
I myself said, that in domestic politics the head-scarf issue is a heated debate.
Secularists are Muslims, too.

A poll conducted in October 2000 showed that 71 percent of Turks have an interest in Palestinian affairs and 60 percent demand a more active Turkish role on behalf of the Palestinian people.

Another poll conducted in November 2000 showed that 41 percent favor delivering Jerusalem to Palestinian rule, 29 percent proposed autonomous administration, and only two percent favor Israeli rule over the city.

Another poll, conducted in November 2003 surveying 2,183 people in different parts of
Turkey, assessed the Turkish people’s attitudes toward Palestinians.
66 percent support the Palestinians in their struggle.

Public support for Prime Minister Erdoğan’s blaming of Israel for pursuing state terror was 82 percent in another poll conducted in July 2004.

Different segments of Turkish society, ranging from political parties to student unions, have joined their hands and hearts for extending support to the Palestinians.
http://www.setav.org/document/Policy_Brief_No_27_Bulent_Aras_Turkey_and_the_Palestinian_Question.pdf

If you ask normal Turk, what is injustice in world, they will answer you Palestine.
As Middle East is like an Aquarium with defined and restricted space, all the fishes around will have less breathing space with the Turkish whale deciding also to swim in that defined and restricted space.
The Turkish whale, producing more then half the economic output of whole Middle East and North-Africa combined, feels Anatolia is not enough anymore.

The International Crisis Group (ICG) published a report earlier this week (...).
The report notes, for example, that Turkey's economy produces the equivalent of half the entire output of the Middle East and North Africa.

Original report
International Crisis Group - 203 Turkey and the Middle East: Ambitions and Cons

Via
Turkey's Complicated Middle East Role - The Washington Note

You do not seem to understand, that Turkish outreach to periphery has not primarily something to do with "Islam-Secular" rift in domestic politics.
Outreach happens, because Turkey can, Turkey expands economically and with outreach Turkey will secure its own security and that of the region. Every citizen supports this.
This is a transiition process, kickstarted by US military adventures whose outcome was diametral to Turkish interests.
Off course, there are also other reasons, but US invasion of Iraq kickstarted several processes in the region, not only limited to Turkey.
The region is in transition and there is no reason Turkey to come out as a looser of this transition. Simple as that.

Now i went a little bit thematically riot, but I hope you now understand to uncouple opposing views within Turkey from united stance in foreign policy.

Stratfor
Decade Forecast: 2010-2020

Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran will remain issues by 2020, but not defining issues in the region. Two other countries will be more important. Turkey is emerging as a self-confident regional leader, with a strong military and economy. We expect that trend to continue, and see Turkey emerging as the dominant regional power. The growth of Turkish power and influence in the next decade is one reason we feel confident in the decline of the U.S.-jihadist war and the transformation of the Iran issue. The dynamic in the region between the Mediterranean and Iran — and even in the Caucasus and Central Asia — will be redefined by Turkey’s re-emergence. Of course, Turkey will feel tremendous internal tensions during this process, as is the case for any emerging power. For Turkey, the relationship between the Ataturkian tradition and the Islamic tradition is the deep fault line. It could falsify this forecast by plunging the country into chaos. While that is possible, we feel that the crisis will be managed over the next decade, albeit with much pain and stress.

By 2020, Egypt will be changing from the type of country it has been since the 1970s — for the past generation it has lacked the capacity to influence developments beyond its borders. Like Turkey, Egypt is caught between secularism and Islam, and that tension could continue paralyzing it. However, as Turkey rises, Ankara will need a large source of cheap labor and markets for exports. The result will be a “coattails” effect for Egypt. With this synergetic fortification we expect not only an end to Egyptian quiescence, but increased friction between Egypt and all other regional players. In particular, Israel will be searching for the means to maintain its balance between the powerful Turkey and the re-emerging Egypt. This will shape all of its foreign — and domestic — policies.
Free Article for Non-Members | STRATFOR

We can, and we will do, as we did in past several times.

The rift here is clearly on the university head-scarf issue. It is a never ending debate.
But Turks don't bomb each other over this issue. It is heated debate but civil.
The core understandment of the headscarf-ban has shifted into being a question of liberty.
That is my rudimentary understanding of the issue made clearer to me after reading, Snow by Pamuk.

Maybe they should make it that the clothing would more easely be torn apart if caught in something, but then she would probably be stoned by her fellow muslims (for stripping in front of the go-cart audience). I can imagine it being dangerous to ride a bike or motorcycle as well.

btw, what about the safty regulations with regard to burkas + go-carts?

If the lawyers in Australia are worth their salt, there was probably a sign up at the Kart Park that said something that would absolve the park owner of liability due to accidents caused by loose clothing.

If the self-appointed-religiously-politically-correct-police in Australia are worth their salt, the owner feared for his business too much to tell the woman she couldn't ride in that damned outfit.

Now a salty lawyer is in prime position to drive him out of business with a law suit that rewards stupidity.

This would be a legal slam-dunk here in America - do let us know if more rational heads prevail down under......

I see no reason to celebrate the poor womans death

What was she doing that offends you? She was following the requirements of her religion, just like many of you follow yours. Are your religious beliefs superior to hers? Are yours any less silly?

If she were a nun strangled by her habit....would you still be mocking her?

Last edited:
WOW, all these replies for the 'bungled burqa diaries', and my second post, this poor soul would have been luckier if her tampon string got snagged in the wheels, one little 'pop' and...............omg, I cannot continue, the vision is horrendous :eek:

What was she doing that offends you? She was following the requirements of her religion, just like many of you follow yours. Are your religious beliefs superior to hers? Are yours any less silly?

In my humble opinion, she and every other human should be allowed to wear anything they want, including nothing at all.

I also believe that if any human is too stupid to stay off of go-carts while wearing that much loose clothing, the park owner should have the right to discriminate against them.

In my humble opinion, she and every other human should be allowed to wear anything they want, including nothing at all.

I also believe that if any human is too stupid to stay off of go-carts while wearing that much loose clothing, the park owner should have the right to discriminate against them.

Agreed, with all the bad taste 'jokes' aside, one would think the owners would have used their brains and not allowed this to happen. That's another reason in favor of so many, what some call, stupid warnings and labels. Since human beings consistently do stupid things without thinking it's the responsibility of 'those in charge' of such things to prevent them.

Like, "If your not 'THIS TALL'(noting the giant ruler at the gate), you cannot ride this attraction.

They need another one it would appear, those with loose 'HANGING' clothing, are not allowed to drive these Go Carts. Bad pun I know.

Agreed, with all the bad taste 'jokes' aside, one would think the owners would have used their brains and not allowed this to happen. That's another reason in favor of so many, what some call, stupid warnings and labels. Since human beings consistently do stupid things without thinking it's the responsibility of 'those in charge' of such things to prevent them.

Like, "If your not 'THIS TALL'(noting the giant ruler at the gate), you cannot ride this attraction.

They need another one it would appear, those with loose 'HANGING' clothing, are not allowed to drive these Go Carts. Bad pun I know.

I'll bet that there was a sign about loose clothing but the amusement park management feared a religious discrimination lawsuit more than they feared not enforcing the sign in this case, and that's where they fucked up.

It's Australia, and I saw no reference to either in my skim of the article, but you know the case would be as described if it happened here in the US.

Last edited:
We do seem to go too far the other way here sometimes, but there are people out chasing darwin awards on a daily basis as well.

One lawsuit I remember was the guy who tried to snow blow his roof. That ended fatally too.

We should have a single notice. "Operation of gas powered equipment requires sobriety and good sense. If you can't operate this equipment in a safe, sane and reasonable manner, you assume all risks consequent on your own stupidity."

We do seem to go too far the other way here sometimes, but there are people out chasing darwin awards on a daily basis as well.

One lawsuit I remember was the guy who tried to snow blow his roof. That ended fatally too.

We should have a single notice. "Operation of gas powered equipment requires sobriety and good sense. If you can't operate this equipment in a safe, sane and reasonable manner, you assume all risks consequent on your own stupidity."

You can't legislate for common sense or against stupidity any more than you can legislate for love or against hate.

At some point in the rules, a judgement must be made based on the circumstances..... add in the wonderful worlds of precedent-based laws and tradition keeping the rule books ten years behind the technology and you get the unholy matrimony of the US legal and political systems.

Do you know who would judge YOU if you fucked up? Did you vote for him?

New Topics

Forum List

Back