Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise

Weird how freedom and respect for religion only count for the right when they are inline with their idea of freedom and respect. Anyone smell hypocrisy here?

I smell if coming off you like stink from a rotting corpse.

And it disappoints me because I always liked you too.

Please don't go Ninja on us!!! :eek: :razz: ;)

If the franchisee was Catholic and DD declined to renew his contract because he refused to take down a crucifix he had on the wall behind the counter, I suspect 90+% of tunes played here would change (including midcan's).

In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.
God damn Jew bastards keepin' da' Muslim Man down right Sunni? :D

I smell if coming off you like stink from a rotting corpse.

And it disappoints me because I always liked you too.

Please don't go Ninja on us!!! :eek: :razz: ;)

If the franchisee was Catholic and DD declined to renew his contract because he refused to take down a crucifix he had on the wall behind the counter, I suspect 90+% of tunes played here would change (including midcan's).
I wouldn't.

But, that's a bit different. DD isn't in the crucifix market.

But, if DD did tell a Catholic owner to do that, I would back DD.

An Arab-American owner of a Chicago-area Dunkin’ Donuts store has to give up his franchise after he lost his long-running legal battle with the restaurant chain over his religious objections to selling pork products.

The company’s lawsuit came two weeks after a federal jury found that the chain did not discriminate against Elkhatib for refusing to renew his franchise agreement because he declined to sell breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage.

The dietary restrictions of Elkhatib’s Muslim faith forbid him from eating or handling pork. When he decided to go into the restaurant business, his faith one of the reasons why he invested in Dunkin’ Donuts in 1979. The chain did not introduce breakfast sandwiches until 1984.

For nearly 20 years, Dunkin’ Donuts accommodated his religious beliefs, even providing him signs for his store that said, “No meat products available,” Elkhatib asserted in court documents. But in 2002, the company reversed course and told him it would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.

Elkhatib sued the company but because he is not an employee of Dunkin’ Donuts, he could not sue under federal laws banning religious discrimination in the work place. Instead, he invoked a law that bars racial and certain forms of ancestry discrimination in the making of contracts.

A Chicago federal judge rejected Elkhatib’s claim, finding that it was a religious rather than a racial claim. But in 2007 an appellate court allowed the case to go to trial, finding that Dunkin’ Donuts did not consistently apply its rules on franchise holders. In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.

Elkhatib’s franchise agreement expired in April 2008, but Dunkin’ Donuts allowed him to keep operating the store until the end of the trial.

Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise | Chill Yo Islam Yo

Gotta love it dude.

The right brays on and on about religious "freedom" right up until it's a religion they don't like.

Then it's "Follow the rules, buddy".

:badgrin:

Whose religious freedoms are being denied by our government?

We're talking about a private party contract.
DD kept up their side of the bargain. He didn't.

He just doesn't get to keep the name/brand.

He can sell all the donuts he wants under another name.

When is the Jewish franchise up for renewal?
I'd like to see someone point out the double-standard when it's time.

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference. The whole franchise store would have to close for lack of business. The muslim owner isn't in a completely muslim neighborhood.

This is a franchise agreement. He didn't buy his store. The franchisor still owns it. He has nothing more than a renewable contract. He has no rights to Dunkin Donuts performance of the contract once it has expired.

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference. The whole franchise store would have to close for lack of business. The muslim owner isn't in a completely muslim neighborhood.

This is a franchise agreement. He didn't buy his store. The franchisor still owns it. He has nothing more than a renewable contract. He has no rights to Dunkin Donuts performance of the contract once it has expired.

If the guy is this adamant about it why not just open his own shop? :dunno:

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference.

You're full of shit, shithead. Under 2% of the population is Jewish. And, only about 15% of Jews follow kosher diets.

DD is practicing anti-Islamic bigotry.

An Arab-American owner of a Chicago-area Dunkin’ Donuts store has to give up his franchise after he lost his long-running legal battle with the restaurant chain over his religious objections to selling pork products.

The company’s lawsuit came two weeks after a federal jury found that the chain did not discriminate against Elkhatib for refusing to renew his franchise agreement because he declined to sell breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage.

The dietary restrictions of Elkhatib’s Muslim faith forbid him from eating or handling pork. When he decided to go into the restaurant business, his faith one of the reasons why he invested in Dunkin’ Donuts in 1979. The chain did not introduce breakfast sandwiches until 1984.

For nearly 20 years, Dunkin’ Donuts accommodated his religious beliefs, even providing him signs for his store that said, “No meat products available,” Elkhatib asserted in court documents. But in 2002, the company reversed course and told him it would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.

Elkhatib sued the company but because he is not an employee of Dunkin’ Donuts, he could not sue under federal laws banning religious discrimination in the work place. Instead, he invoked a law that bars racial and certain forms of ancestry discrimination in the making of contracts.

A Chicago federal judge rejected Elkhatib’s claim, finding that it was a religious rather than a racial claim. But in 2007 an appellate court allowed the case to go to trial, finding that Dunkin’ Donuts did not consistently apply its rules on franchise holders. In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.

Elkhatib’s franchise agreement expired in April 2008, but Dunkin’ Donuts allowed him to keep operating the store until the end of the trial.

Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise | Chill Yo Islam Yo

Gotta love it dude.

The right brays on and on about religious "freedom" right up until it's a religion they don't like.

Then it's "Follow the rules, buddy".

:badgrin:
Absolutely the right "brays" on about religious freedom - it's a Constitutional thing.

Since when is DD the government?

The Jewish franchises won't be affected. They are in Jewish neighborhoods where the food line is rejected by the customer base. That's the difference.

You're full of shit, shithead. Under 2% of the population is Jewish. And, only about 15% of Jews follow kosher diets.

Missed the bolded word, hunh?

Wow, you are one of the biggest racist cock suckers on this board and your accusing Dunkin Donuts of bigotry?:cuckoo:

When he bought the franchise DD didn't sell pork products.

And for 20 years he has been operating his business without offering bacon or pork sausage products with the blessings of DD corporate office.

Then all at once DD comes along and changes the rules and says that he has to offer pork products.

I'll bet is was still OK for him to beat his wife though.

Wow, you are one of the biggest racist cock suckers on this board and your accusing Dunkin Donuts of bigotry?:cuckoo:
He only likes the Muslims because they hate the Jews.

He thinks he's not transparent. :eusa_shhh:

And for 20 years he has been operating his business without offering bacon or pork sausage products with the blessings of DD corporate office.

Then all at once DD comes along and changes the rules and says that he has to offer pork products.

I doubt that his personal domestic affairs were stipulated in the franchise agreement with DD. :cool:

I doubt that his personal domestic affairs were stipulated in the franchise agreement with DD. :cool:
So then the answer is yes.

New Topics

Forum List

Back